Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Joe Abercrombie to sell enhanced ebook

Back in May, fantasy author Joe Abercrombie asked what his readers would want in an enhanced ebook, or if they even wanted one at all.

He has just announced on his blog that as well as the paper book, audiobook and regular ebook version of his new novel, The Heroes, he will also be selling an enhanced ebook for between £20 and £30 that includes:

Quote:
  • Full Text of The Heroes
  • Unabridged Audiobook of The Heroes, narrated by Stephen Pacey
  • Introduction by the author
  • Afterword by the editor
  • In depth behind-the-scenes interview with the author (in text, audio, and possibly video), covering genesis of the idea for the book, influences, discussion of the six central characters, the writing process, the revision process from plan to completion, the importance of maps, the development of the cover
  • Five maps showing the battlefield, and unit positions at the start of each day of the battle
  • A dramatis personae
  • A 20,000 word planning document, with rough early plans, character sketches, and more detailed plans for each part
  • Several chapters presented at varying stages of revision, annotated by the author to illustrate the editing process
  • Cover file – all the briefs, sketches, and rough versions of the different elements of the cover, and of the combined cover, hopefully with some commentary from the award-winning artists and designer
  • Author biography
  • Links to other interviews and relevant websites and blogs
  • Archive of all blog posts during the writing and editing period
  • In due course, I hope we’ll be able to add The Fool Jobs, a short story featuring characters from The Heroes, though that may not be available until later in 2011
Interesting. Pricey, but you certainly get bang for your buck. And the basic book will still be available as an epub/Kindle download for a cheaper price.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Joe Abercrombie is a great author. His fantasy novels are dark and gritty. He pretty much made me rethink how I look at fantasy novels. With that being said, this looks real interesting, even with the high price tag...
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sounds like a Collector's Edition to me.

Y'know, I wonder if they could sell more of them if they called them that? It works for computer games. *looks at big boxes on shelves* Too well, in fact.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
It worked really well for popular movies, too. Think about Collector's Edition DVDs of Harry Potter movies or Disney classics like Snow White & Cinderella. In addition to the movie, you'd get some games, cut scenes, interviews with the writers and actors, behind-the-scenes footage, etc.

I think he may really be onto something.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I've never heard of him before, let alone read his books, but this sounds like a good idea, especially considering the regular e-book will also be available. I like people who give the customer choices.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Reading Best Served Cold, and it is very good. will definitely support him.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Pricey
Sounds like it would be competing with collectors'-edition box DVDs or collectors'-edition video game in terms of value-for-money. http://www.destructoid.com/civilizat...n-178634.phtml @ $99.

Not really my thing (the words are all I want from a book), but it's nice to see the ebook getting more care taken over the illustrations and presentation than the pbook for once. When you think about how much entertainment you're getting for each $ (US keyboard layout ), it competes pretty well with other forms of entertainment.

Interesting that you'll be paying for him to write an extra short story later on: seems like a first step towards a model where the writer asks for money from her fans to finance the next part of a series. I think this definitely represents one possible way forward for writers.

Last edited by Richey79; 09-13-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
It worked really well for popular movies, too. Think about Collector's Edition DVDs of Harry Potter movies or Disney classics like Snow White & Cinderella.
Or, indeed, the Extended Editions of The Lord of the Rings.

I love Abercrombie's books, and applaud him for doing something different to encourage people to spring for ebooks.

As others have said before, such special editions work for DVDs and games, so why not books? Yes, £20 is not cheap, but as Abercrombie himself points out, audiobooks themselves go for as much.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
While my personal economics would prevent me from getting this, I definitely know I would interested in this idea for some of my Fave Authors...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe he should sell it on a cd or labeled SD card with a case or binder to hold all his other works. Collectors like to be able to nicely display collections
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote