Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Ideas?

I don't have an ereader but already seem to have lot's of pdf's waiting to be read on my computer. At the moment I'm reading them on my Nokia N800 but I'm slowly getting the urge to buy an ereader.

Criteria in order of importance:
  • I mostly just want to read free pfd's, epubs, technical books etc
  • I'd like the ability to use landscape mode
  • must be portable (I assume most are)
  • I like the idea of a dictionary and search
  • RSS feeds would be interesting
  • I have a small version of wikipedia on my N800 (lots of html files) but it would be nice to transfer this to an ereader
  • also nice but not essential would be wifi, text to speach, chm format

I'm currently considering the ASUS DR900 (I'd heard it might be around £250 and released soon), also liked the look of the Sony DR600 (especially the leather case).

I haven't actually used a real ereader - does anyone know if I can try them out in London, UK (SW16)?

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
PDF with graphics and special formats and technical eBooks in general are domain of large screen readers. I'd say that's the universal consensus up-to-date. Usually, with large screen you have quite a guarantee of having most of the functions you mention (WiFi, RSS feeds, dictionaries, and landscape mode IINW).

If you want to see an eBook device before you buy, you'll like to visit this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26574
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
PDF with graphics and special formats and technical eBooks in general are domain of large screen readers. I'd say that's the universal consensus up-to-date. Usually, with large screen you have quite a guarantee of having most of the functions you mention (WiFi, RSS feeds, dictionaries, and landscape mode IINW).

If you want to see an eBook device before you buy, you'll like to visit this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26574
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at the thread but the few in London were older readers (I mean the device and not the people). Are the newer devices available to try in shops? I installed the Calibre software and it would be a neat idea if the viewer in that could simulate individual machines (buttons, screen size, speed of refresh, the flash during page turns etc) and then I'd be able to make a decision by simply looking at each device using the actual books I want to read - perhaps Calibre could get some kick back for simulating each device. I already use a Nokia N800 to read books so I'm sort of used to the concept of reading on a screen but it's definitely different - it's not eink, the screen is moderately small (4.5 inches) even though it's very quick to scroll around the screen.

PS it's odd how we use such an antiquated measuring unit (inches) to measure such a modern medium - electronic paper!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
PS it's odd how we use such an antiquated measuring unit (inches) to measure such a modern medium - electronic paper!
April 1st was 2 days ago!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Usually, with large screen you have quite a guarantee of having most of the functions you mention (WiFi, RSS feeds, dictionaries, and landscape mode IINW).
Oddly the more machines I look at (via web reviews) the less keen I seem to be on large readers - I guess portability is the main issue here. I keep going back to the pocketbook 360 but I have no idea what my ebooks would look like on it's screen. I'm also unkeen on paying £211 in the UK when the yanks can pay £155. I guess if I just keep delaying then eventually I'll be able to afford something
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

A month on and I'm still no nearer to purchasing an ereader. What's worse is the priority of my requirements seem to change on a weekly basis and my final decision seems to change with each new release of hardware.
  • I still need to read PDFs so I'd want to be able to read that. I've tried converting to other formats using everything from Kalibre to various OCR tools - didn't get good results with anything.
  • I like the idea of a small reader that can fit in my pocket like the (pocketbook 360) but I'm not sure what happens when I try to read the above PDFs.
  • I like the Kindle's feature of being able to read wikipedia from anywhere via the net but realise this isn't available in the UK.
  • I like the idea of a touch screen and the ability to write down ideas on the go (like on the sony PRS 600) but I'm unsure about the screen and very unsure about the need to resize PDF pages on every turn of the page. I do like the look and robust nature of this one though.
  • Extras like the Kindle's text to speech are neat but I'm not sure how long I could listen to that voice. I even like the games on the pocketbook - I like sudoku and chess. I even like it's ability to switch to a Unix prompt - I know this bit is rather pointless but I'm a geek at heart.
  • I like the look of the Nook but the software appears to be lagging behind the hardware.
  • I like the price of the Kobo but it seems to miss out in many areas (ie PDFs). Perhaps a port of open inkpot might solve this in future. I'm just hoping the lower price will start to lower other ereader prices.
Arghhhh - In short I still haven't a clue. At least I suppose delaying purchase will just mean the combination of features and prices will slowly become more acceptable.

Mike
Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If my experience can be useful for you, I started looking up information about readers before Christmas 2009 and I bought mine in the middle of February. Take your time and relax
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
It took me a year to decide and order a reader. Still haven't received it.

Those pdf's probably won't look great on any small reader.

Have you looked at the beebook neo/onyx boox. They do fit a lot of your requirements and their firmwares are interchangeable.

It has a wacom touchscreen which doesn't affect screen clarity like the touchscreen on the sony.

It has probably the best pdf support currently available on a 6" including various zoom options. And it memorizes the zoom when changing the page.

There are games available for it like hangman, battleship, minesweeper, sudoku, chess and more.

It has wifi so you get your wikipedia also.

It even has tts support according to the web page but since I'm not interested in tts I never checked into the quality of it.

And it supports chm.

But if most of your reading is complicated pdf's I would look into a larger reader like irex 800 or bigger.

Last edited by frozennorth; 05-06-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: support for chm
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Sadly price is also a consideration
Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Well I finally ordered an ereader off the net! My choices were roughly:
  • PB360 - like the firmware but not the idea of a 5" screen and sadly couldn't try it out.
  • Bebook Neo - I liked the reviews but it was never in stock at Foyles
  • Asus DR 900 - Seemed perfect but I'd have to wait till August to play with one
and so I ended up buying a Kindle International I love the idea of accessing Wikipedia (and the web?). Not so keen on the restricted formats but hopefully Calibre will help out here. Found it going for a small discount in the UK which finally pushed me over the edge. If it lives up to my expectations then I'll order a little leather case for it shortly afterwards.

Itchy fingers now...

Mike