Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #76
Catscrash
Catscrash began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Hi, i have some questions...

Has anyone found out how to change the screensaver-pictures?

Are there any other dictionaries then the already mentioned english-korean?

is there a way to use adobe protected books with linux or do i have to boot a windows?
Catscrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #77
dimov000
dimov000 began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story
My Iriver Story is now 3 days in. I bought it at IBood for 199,00 euro and I already updated the firmware. No significant problems. Found Calibre and Adobe as Programs and now on the search for some changes in fonts. Nice forum over here. Dimov000
dimov000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #78
holleboom
holleboom began at the beginning.

This is a free Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

http://dnkor-iriverkor1.ktics.co.kr/...ritan_ency.zip
holleboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #79
Catscrash
Catscrash began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimov000 View Post
My Iriver Story is now 3 days in. I bought it at IBood for 199,00 euro and I already updated the firmware. No significant problems. Found Calibre and Adobe as Programs and now on the search for some changes in fonts. Nice forum over here. Dimov000
Fonts are only changeable for doc-documents and memos / notes :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscrash
is there a way to use adobe protected books with linux or do i have to boot a windows?
I found out the following: once the reader has been assigned to the adobe-ID in windows, the ADE can be installed and perfectly used in wine :-)

so everything that is left would be a english-german dictionary, has someone analysed the dictionary-files yet and maybe found a way to create new ones?

thanks
Catscrash
Catscrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #80
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Thanks for the link holleboom. How do you install the encyclopedia? On the story or SD card?
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #81
holleboom

@Larrie.

Sorry for deluding you with false hope . I just discovered that all the explanations are in Korean. So you can look up a English word, but the description is in Korean (which I unfortunately cannot read).

Anyway, if you still want to install it, just unzip the file to your SD-card. Installation is automatically done.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #82
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Thanks. It works fine now, but like you, I don't read Korean either. Since they intend to launch in the US, they may provide some Eng dictionaries but unlikely to be free?
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #83
holleboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrie View Post
Thanks. It works fine now, but like you, I don't read Korean either. Since they intend to launch in the US, they may provide some Eng dictionaries but unlikely to be free?
Well, I think there is a chance that it will be offered for free, since the Korean version was free as well. However, I'm more intereseted in creating my own dictionairy by finding out the file type en structure of the dictionairy files.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #84
holleboom

I just received my brown leather case. It fits perfectly, and it has a small hinge into which you can click the Story. There's also a small extrude on the left side of the cover which protects the screen. I found a short movie demonstrating the iRiver Story in it's case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPDsDCcBkw&fmt=22
Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #85
Leoric1991
Leoric1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story
Good PDF text reader?

Hey guys im really considering buying this reader as my first one, and I happen to be in possesion of some books already on my computer which are in PDF format. So I'm wondering if it can read big PDF text pages good , for example is it capable to zoom in or change the fontsizes so its more pleasant and easier to read?

Last edited by Leoric1991; 02-06-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Leoric1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #86
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoric1991 View Post
Hey guys im really considering buying this reader as my first one, and I happen to be in possesion of some books already on my computer which are in PDF format. So I'm wondering if it can read big PDF text pages good , for example is it capable to zoom in or change the fontsizes so its more pleasant and easier to read?

You can use 'reflow' to read PDF files on Story. Some PDFs work, but many others don't reflow correctly, with line breaks flooding the entire texts. It all depends on the original PDF formatting, very much a hit or miss thing.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #87
Leoric1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post

You can use 'reflow' to read PDF files on Story. Some PDFs work, but many others don't reflow correctly, with line breaks flooding the entire texts. It all depends on the original PDF formatting, very much a hit or miss thing.
Could you be more specific on which PDF that work better than others? And if I manage to change the format of the PDF's that dont work to EPUB will the problem be resolved or?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #88
Leoric1991

Would really appreciate a answer to my previous question, since I'm fairly certain that I will buy the Iriver Story tomorow. Would truly mean a lot to me If i could get a quick reply, thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #89
holleboom

Reflow works best with text-only documents without a lot of formatting (tables, columns etc.). You are able to set font-size after reflowing the PDF.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #90
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoric1991 View Post
Would really appreciate a answer to my previous question, since I'm fairly certain that I will buy the Iriver Story tomorow. Would truly mean a lot to me If i could get a quick reply, thanks.
It's not possible to determine which PDF files work with reflow. Even if you're reading pure text PDF, eg a novel, you may still encounter horrendous line breaks issue on Story using reflow, due to the original formatting.

If you're buying Story to read primarily PDFs with complex formatting, charts, graphics, tables etc. my suggestion is not to buy it.

But if you're using it to read novels in PDF format, you can use some workaround, if reflow doesn't work. But you have to accept the fact that none of the workarounds is perfect.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote