Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
llsecurity
llsecurity began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Unhappy Calibre will not start on Win7 x64.

I have attempted every fix I could find on the forums and the FAQ, but I still cannot get Calibre to start. It pops into task manager for a split second, and immediately closes.

Any help would be appreciated, its driving me crazy.

Here is my debug -g output:

[4] » calibre-debug.exe -g
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 216, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 184, in main
File "calibre\gui2\__init__.pyo", line 15, in <module>
File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\meta.pyo", line 11, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\calibre\library.zip\calibre\customize\ui.py" , line 11, in <module>
File "calibre\customize\builtins.pyo", line 327, in <module>
File "calibre\ebooks\comic\input.pyo", line 16, in <module>
File "calibre\utils\ipc\server.pyo", line 17, in <module>
File "calibre\utils\ipc\launch.pyo", line 17, in <module>
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'nul'
llsecurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's interesting for some reason on your system, the null file doesn't exist.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
llsecurity

I am not sure why, as I have re-installed via every possible mechanism over 15 times, rebooted, not rebooted, with and without admin priv, used compatibility mode, disabled all antivirus type software.

I really have no idea what to do.

Is there somewhere this file can be found so that I can place it appropriately in its intended location/destination?

I really like this this software, and cannot for the life of me figure this out.

It appears to be happening when I try to use version .0612 as well.

Thoughts?

Last edited by llsecurity; 09-23-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
llsecurity

Install Logs removed, as they do not provide any helpful information, and make the thread really loooong.

Last edited by llsecurity; 09-24-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Removed install Log data
Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
llsecurity

Last item, when I attempt to uninstall via normal control panel means, it proceeds smoothly until the point that it presents the "finish button". When the finish button is pressed, the application hangs, and becomes unresponsive and must be forcibly killed.
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Do any of the previous versions work?
pars_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The nul file is a standard system file that is supposed to be available on all windows systems. For some reason on your system when calibre tries to access that file, the OS says it's not present. Unfortunately, not being a windows guru I have no idea what could cause that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
I'm sorry that I can't help but I'd like to mention that I am running Windows 7 x64 Retail (Via MSDNAA) and Calibre is working without any hitch for me. It seems like this might unfortunately be something specific to your system
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
I'm sorry that I can't help but I'd like to mention that I am running Windows 7 x64 Retail (Via MSDNAA) and Calibre is working without any hitch for me. It seems like this might unfortunately be something specific to your system
Did you install that as a clean install? Or as an upgrade from vista?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pars_andy View Post
Did you install that as a clean install? Or as an upgrade from vista?
It was a clean install. If you did a Vista upgrade, that might very well be the problem. Personally, I think the Vista->Windows7 upgrade is a very bad idea and doesn't really work very well. On my desktop, I initially tried the upgrade route from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64 but the results were very disappointing. The OS was sluggish and the Control Panel was being buggy.

I then went ahead with a fresh install and the setup has been rock solid and very responsive since. If you upgraded, I'd suggest backing up your data, doing a fresh install then installing all your "must have apps" and creating an image of your harddrive (if you ever need to go back to a clean install).
Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
pars_andy
Connoisseur

I haven't installed windows 7 at all yet. I'm waiting on a new pc though which should arrive on the 6th and the first thing i intend to do is upgrade to windows 7. Fortunately i wont need to worry about backing anything up, i'll just migrate my data from my old pc when everything is up and running. My intention has always been to do a clean install. However, calibre is important to me and i was concerned that the vital file discussed here was maybe a vista file which might not been on my system unless i went down the upgrade route. I'm relieved to hear that this is not the case.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #12
orion2001
Groupie

Ah cool. Sorry, I confused you for the op so I thought you already had W7. I really like Windows 7. I can't go back to XP at this point (and I loved XP!)
Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
llsecurity

It was an upgrade installation, and I cannot remember in truth if I have used Calibre since the upgrade.

I checked into the Windows NUL device settings, located the correct registry entries and "null.sys" drivers in the correct locations, but did find that I cannot seem to output anything to NUL since the upgrade.

#~echo test > NUL gives me an error "file not found", and for the life of me I cannot find any reliable solution or even evidence that others have had this problem on the Internet.

It seems I will be going with a clean install of Win7.

I will report back as to whether or not the 0.6.13 version works on the clean install once I have tested it.

Last edited by llsecurity; 09-25-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsecurity View Post
It was an upgrade installation, and I cannot remember in truth if I have used Calibre since the upgrade.

I checked into the Windows NUL device settings, located the correct registry entries and "null.sys" drivers in the correct locations, but did find that I cannot seem to output anything to NUL since the upgrade.

#~echo test > NUL gives me an error "file not found", and for the life of me I cannot find any reliable solution or even evidence that others have had this problem on the Internet.

It seems I will be going with a clean install of Win7.

I will report back as to whether or not the 0.6.13 version works on the clean install once I have tested it.
I know it's a major hassle but i honestly think that your machine will be better for it.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
MichaelMSeattle
Enthusiast
MichaelMSeattle began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505/600
I was able to install Calibre on W7 beta with no problems. I haven't tried the RC yet.
MichaelMSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help please, problems, windows 7