Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Thumbs up Tell us your positive Amazon/Kindle experience!

While there certainly has been some questionable tactics by Amazon recently they have presented the world with a couple great devices, an arguably first in the means of accessibility in their Whispernet/storefront and bringing eBooks and devices to the mainstream. Let's hope that the future will show these faults as a mere hiccup in their progress and use this thread to focus on the good things that MobileRead users have enjoyed with their Kindles and purchases.

Even for non-Amazonian customers the impact is hard to ignore. Love it or hate it, Amazon has managed (at least in the US) to finally get the word eBook into the public's lexicon.

So please share your stories!

(Posted to 'news and commentary' because I'm not limiting this to Kindle owners, but it still is ebook related)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Well, they replaced my Kindle without any issues. As weird as this sounds the letter "e" was bad on my first one. The upper part of the bowl of the letter was faded as compared to the rest of the letter, in every instance of the letter. It wasn't extremely noticeable but gave the page a poorer appearence. The customer support person basically sent me a second Kindle just to see if it would be different. As it turns out I did keep the second one and returned the first. Great customer support vis-a-vis exchanges.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I bought a used Kindle 1 a little over a month ago and I love it.

Convenience is a huge factor with me as I'm busy as hell, so I love the Whispernet. Quick and easy to get books, samples etc. on it. Just skim the web site, send stuff that interests me and it's on the kindle a few seconds after I turn it on the next time.

I have zero complaints. I'm not a big fan of DRM, but I don't mind so much for books (comopared to say music, video games etc.) as I pretty much never re-read a book so it's more or less a rental anyway--and it doesn't clutter up the house with a book I'll never touch again or the hassle of going to the library.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've generally had very positive experiences with them. No real standouts because I've rarely had to contact CS. They ship stuff out quickly and the few times I've had to return stuff, it's been very easy. I do almost all my Christmas and birthday shopping through them since most of my nephews live far away. I'm a Prime member and I really get my money's worth out of it. I've never had them make a mistake on an order. I've been shopping with them regularly pretty much since they started. Because of the confidence I had built up in them over the years, I took a chance and got the Kindle when it first came out. I've since gotten Kindles for my husband and my sister. I still think it's the most suitable device for me on the market and you can't beat the convenience, selection and prices in the Kindle store.

I'm not thrilled with every decision they've made but you can say that about a lot of companies. I can also see why they made the choices they've made from a business perspective. I have no plans to stop shopping with them at this point.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I love it. Second best device I've ever owned (after iPhone). I use it all the time. Use it for class, use it for life. Send pdf articles to it, get books for cheap and not taking space up in the house...

Nothing not to like except the DRM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Didn't think to mention general Amazon experience.

I've been a regular customer for years, even have the Amazon visa I use (and pay off in full each month) to earn GCs. I've never had any problems, other than occasionally stuff shipping very slowly when in stock with free shipping (sometimes ships in a day or two, sometimes sits for 2 weeks)--but hard to complain when it's free.

Their prices are generally good (and they have good sales/gold box specials), and customer service has been great anytime I had questions etc. Never had to do any returns. Nothing has arrive damaged, and I don't buy stuff online unless I'm sure I want to keep it.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Didn't think to mention general Amazon experience.
Sorry about that, I don't think I was quite so obvious that I was aiming at general Amazon stories as well as Kindle-centric. The point is just to give Amazon credit where credit is due, even with some of the ruffled feathers lately.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Amazon delivered a grill to a moutain location 2 hours outside Boisie. This was before Amazon Prime. They delivered it for free (super saver). Every time I have ordered something, it has come before I expected it. Except for the first Christmas I used them
(2003?) when everything came the day after Christmas. Well, my daughter was little, and so that didn't work, and they took back about 20 coloring books, with no problem. Now, I just make sure to order in time for Christmas (November 1 is my goal). Their Harry Potter deal was VERY well done.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Every company has their uptimes and their downtimes. I guess its Amazon's downtime with some of their recent dodgy decisions.
It looks like its Sony's uptime after their downtimes of the last few years. Anyone remember their disasterous rootkit fiasco where they tried to prevent CD copying on people's computer and it ending up costing them millions of dollars in compensation and CD replacements
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I have generally been quite happy with Amazon. I often use their website, with its customer reviews, as part of my research on various products to decide whether I want to buy something and if so, what kind. I routinely do my Christmas shopping there. I've never had them send me, or any of my gift recepients, the wrong thing, or fail to send what I ordered, except in one case where it went out of stock permanently. They don't charge me until they ship, so even that case was not a problem, aside from the disappointment.

When I have had to consult them about my Kindle(s) they have gotten back to me promptly, and the customer service people have done their level best to help me with the issues.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For physical goods I have no complaints, generally fast service and no damage. I really like being able to pre-order and have the item show up when released. All CS contacts have been at least polite if not always helpful.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

My positive Kindle experience is that my neighbor has one and I was able to see it first hand and know I did not like the thing because the screen is not to my liking. It let me know not to buy any ereading device until at least the end of this year when there are far more devices out there. Saved me $400 at the time. She has her Kindle and I have my PDA's and we are both happy.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote