Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Tantor Media Hacked? [Problem Solved]

I just got a really weird email from them! I have only shopped for freebies there so they don't have my payment info. I logged in and the order is not showing up on my account at all. I've checked all my Cards no charges pending. I have no idea what is going on. At first I thought it a phishing scam but the email has no phishing info and look really legit. The headers even look legit. I checked the UPS tracking and it's real.

Anyone else ever had this happen? I sent their support a email for them to look into this issue.

Spoiler:
Dear Name Removed,

Thank you for shopping at Tantor Media, Inc..

Your order no. SO10458 has been fulfilled.

Order Summary:

Item Qty Brief Description Rate Amount
9781452631554 1 LIB A Different Mirror $6.99 $6.99
9781400136292 1 LIB Worlds at War $6.99 $6.99
9781452631646 1 LIB Beyond Good and Evil $6.99 $6.99
9781400148769 1 LIB Strong Men Armed $6.99 $6.99
9781400134687 1 LIB No Simple Victory $6.99 $6.99
9781400144709 1 LIB God's Battalions $6.99 $6.99
9781400132850 1 LIB Sailing from Byzantium $6.99 $6.99
9781452631561 1 LIB America Aflame $6.99 $6.99
9781452631639 1 LIB Nicomachean Ethics $6.99 $6.99
9781400149575 1 LIB American Grace $6.99 $6.99
9781400132591 1 LIB Patriotic Fire $6.99 $6.99
9781400139644 1 LIB Napoleon's Wars $6.99 $6.99
9781400135752 1 LIB Red Land, Black Land $6.99 $6.99
9781452630571 1 LIB The Bostonians $6.99 $6.99
9781452633107 1 LIB The Union War $6.99 $6.99
9781400142569 1 LIB The First Paul $6.99 $6.99
9781400137695 1 LIB Havana Nocturne $6.99 $6.99
9781400140855 1 LIB The Evil Genius (Revised) $6.99 $6.99
9781400132362 1 LIB Peter, Paul and Mary Magdalene $6.99 $6.99
9781400143283 1 LIB The Darkest Summer $6.99 $6.99
9781400144129 1 LIB The Lady Queen $6.99 $6.99
9781452631738 1 LIB The Imitation of Christ $6.99 $6.99
9781452633596 1 LIB Grant's Final Victory $6.99 $6.99
9781452630700 1 LIB Tales of the Alhambra $6.99 $6.99
9781400149247 1 LIB Pirates of Barbary $6.99 $6.99
9781400143917 1 LIB General Sherman's Christmas: Savannah, 1864 $6.99 $6.99
9781400139682 1 LIB The Drillmaster of Valley Forge $6.99 $6.99
9781400136582 1 LIB Muqtada! Muqtada-Al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq $6.99 $6.99
9781400134915 1 LIB The Jesuit and the Skull $6.99 $6.99
9781400134526 1 LIB The Long March $6.99 $6.99
9781400133857 1 LIB Justinian's Flea $6.99 $6.99
9781400133840 1 LIB Four Queens $6.99 $6.99
9781400133031 1 LIB Saint Patrick's Battalion $6.99 $6.99
Total $230.67

Tracking numbers Removed

Tantor Media, Inc.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay that was quick! It is legit. They got back to me and looks like a mix up but I want my account deleted. Geesh! I am trying to be understanding but how the heck did this happen?!?

Spoiler:
Dear Charlene,

Our apologies for this mix up. This was just a simple mix up of emails, our apologies for the confusion. This customer placed an order today via phone, and looks like this email somehow was connected to his account in error when we integrated to our new system. We are acclimating to a new system, but I assure you your privacy was not affected in any way. We do not keep credit card or any other information on file besides address and email.

I hope this clears everything up for you and please contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Megan Frederick

Customer Service Representative

megan@tantor.com

T 877-782-6867 x40
F 888-782-7821

Tantor Audio
2 Business Park Road
Old Saybrook, CT 06475

www.tantor.com

Last edited by Blossom; 10-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Probably some weirdo bug.

Oh, right, i guess they messed up data migration when they moved to the new system.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah and I nearly passed out when I saw the amount! First thing I did was check the site for the order then my Credit Cards. I posted it here in case it happens to someone else they don't nearly pass out like I did.

The account is my husband's name due I didn't have my own Credit card back then so I put everything in his name when it came to shopping. He will Kill me if it had been real! I never shop at the site and I never will.

I asked her to close my account. I need to go breath in a paper bag now.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

Oh, right, i guess they messed up data migration when they moved to the new system.
Scary thought isn't it! How many people's info might be on someone else's account!
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How many books did that guy ordered ?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
How many books did that guy ordered ?
It looks like 31 books for a Total of $230.67! I hope he enjoys it. It scare the **** out of me seeing that email though.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Piouff!!

I never order that many book at once. And yeah, i can understand why you would be scared.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
ahoving
ahoving began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi, thanks for helping us clear this up!--Allan Hoving, Tantor Marketing Manager

Hello,

My name is Andre Cameron and I am the IT Manager for Tantor Media, Inc. I was recently made aware of this forum post and the issues you reported. I took some time to run down what it was that had happened, after further investigation of the issue what we found was that there was a mistake in an existing manual order entry process.

The order in question was incorrectly associated with your email address when manually typed into our order management system. This is what caused the order confirmation email to be sent to you instead of the correct recipient. This was an unfortunate human error and was not caused by either data corruption or data migration between systems. All sensitive information is protected and was not in jeopardy due to the manual processing error.

We will be launching a revised website shortly that will be integrated with our order management system that will eliminate the need for manual processes and therefore, chance of human error.

In the meantime, additional precautions have been put into place to prevent this sort of problem from reoccurring. We apologize for any concerns this may have caused and hope that this clears things up. If you have any further issues or concerns please feel free to call me directly, 1 (877) 782-6867 extension 49.

Andre Cameron
I.T. Manager
ahoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Hmm interesting. I'm guessing the guy had the same name other wise I have no idea how they got tied together then.

Really how hard is it for you guys to delete an account?!? My account is still active as of today. I want it deleted please. I've said this twice in both emails sent. Just delete me and my email address from your system. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Look, they said sorry, they didn't have a card number on file for you, so it would have been impossible to charge you anyway. If they want to give you a voucher as a commercial gesture that would be nice, but really, what have you lost?
Relax, feet up, open book, drink tea.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Look, they said sorry, they didn't have a card number on file for you, so it would have been impossible to charge you anyway. If they want to give you a voucher as a commercial gesture that would be nice, but really, what have you lost?
Relax, feet up, open book, drink tea.
I lost nearly an hour's pay and I lost my happy buzz. I had just got my HDX and was super happy and that email popped up and boom I nearly had a panic attack. Had to stop work check all my financial info and email support. I was a mess after that and it took hours to recover from it not to mention killed my buzz.

I am relaxed now it happen the other day. I just want my account deleted but they are ignoring my request. How would that make you feel?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you put your request here, instead of on their website, they are unlikely to see it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you put your request here, instead of on their website, they are unlikely to see it.
I have sent two emails and tomorrow will send another one.

The very first email I sent I asked for my account to deleted and then got the apology email but no mention of my request. I then replied and again asked for it to be deleted and have gotten no response so I added it here in case they came back but I told myself if nothing by Wednesday I will email again.

It just upsets me that some people are like relax it was mistake! If it happened to them I don't think they would feel this way. It was no small amount it was half a paycheck! Yes we don't make much and had it happen we would have been in the red with our bank. It was just really scary, stressful and I just want to put this all behind me and know it wont happen again.

When I first saw that email I immediately freaked out because Adobe has just been hacked. I am sure everyone here knows about it and even some have gotten letters. I didn't think my payment info was on Adobe but then hubby reminded me that two years ago for school he had to buy something from them. So the next day that email showed up I thought someone had gotten that info and was using it and yes I panicked!

Once I checked all our Credit Cards and so far they were okay but that didn't mean something might showed up later then I thought someone has hacked my account and could be using someone elses card to buy stuff if not mine. Never did I think it was a human error because of all the hacking lately it was first thing to come to mind and I think everyone else would have thought the same thing.

I tried to log into Tantor but the password wouldn't work. I had to reset it. I made that account in 2011 so it had been ages since I had logged in. There was no sign of the order under that account which is what made me think the site must have been hacked so I emailed support and made this thread to see if anyone had it happened to them. I then got a speedy reply back about what happened and how it was a mistake.

Thanks for those who understand and I know it could have been much worse and my fears could have been true. It was scary! I am so relieved it was just a mix up.

It just was really bad timing you know.... and while I understand errors happen I still don't understand how my account got pulled up and mixed up. Was it the name? The email address which is super unique? I just want the account deleted. No real hard feelings just frustration.

I have learned alot since 2011 about what info to give online and what email to use so I am very cautious now when opening accounts online. The hackers have proved we have no choice but to be if we want to stay safe.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
ahoving
ahoving began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi, so sorry for the trouble. Please call me at 877-7-TANTOR ext 76 and I will see to it you get back your happy buzz.--Allan Hoving, Tantor Marketing Manager
ahoving is offline   Reply With Quote