Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Nook 2?

I've just noticed rumours of a Nook 2 coming out by end of year (possibly sometime in September). Can anybody in the know shed any light on this rumour?

Thanks.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
The sales guy I talked to said the new one he heard of coming out first is supposed to be a bigger, professional one, compared to the DX maybe? He also said it would most likely be in the $400-$500 price range.

I don't know if any of this is true, so take it with a grain of salt.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
moon_cat
moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-700, NOOK 3G
The rumors that were running around in April was that the Nook wifi would come out by the end of second quarter of 2010- which it did, but the rumored price was higher than it actually ended up being (it was rumored for $199).

The other rumor from April was that nook II would be coming out by the end of 2010, but there was no information on the price or specs other than it would again have a color screen. SUPPOSEDLY, it is going by project encore. Couldn't dig up any pictures or other information. It is possible that we could be seeing a new nook in the next 6 months based off of rumor, or it could just be rumor... who really knows!
moon_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
The sales guy I talked to said the new one he heard of coming out first is supposed to be a bigger, professional one, compared to the DX maybe? He also said it would most likely be in the $400-$500 price range.

I don't know if any of this is true, so take it with a grain of salt.
I'd be surprised if the sales guy was right. The large screen e-reader market is pretty small; by far, most people prefer 5"-6" devices. I don't see the point in B&N getting into that market now. LCD screen or not, the large screen market will now be dominated by the iPad.

Even if B&N do make one, it certainly won't be in the $400-500 range. That price is far too close to the iPad. Amazon realised that and that's why they reduced the price of the DX to $379 (which is still not a price I would pay).

Personally, I think B&N will simply make a new and improved version of the current nook. It will still be 6", but with the new Pearl screen (for better contrast), some minor design tweaks, and maybe a new feature or two. Maybe they'll even have a larger touchscreen, although I'd be wary of that, considering the nook's battery life isn't that tremendous to begin with and a larger LCD would only exacerbate that.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I'd be surprised if the sales guy was right. The large screen e-reader market is pretty small; by far, most people prefer 5"-6" devices. I don't see the point in B&N getting into that market now. LCD screen or not, the large screen market will now be dominated by the iPad.
Well, I think the sale guy could be right. B&N supplies a lot of college bookstores for the textbooks (at least the one I was in). If I were still in college, I wouldn't mind having a large screen Nook with me at all. Certainly beat carrying around giant textbooks. I'm just saying.

However, I love my Nook wifi but I think a little tweak here and there especially with new pearl screen would be awesome!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
LorenzL
LorenzL began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
they will have to do something, or they risk falling (further?) behind the Kindle. What hampers them most at the moment though is the lack of international availability. The US market is surely big, but not as big as the market for Amazon. If they don't change the availability, they will always be far behind the Kindle and risk being overtaken by another competitor who sells the product internationally.
LorenzL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
B&N supplies a lot of college bookstores for the textbooks (at least the one I was in). If I were still in college, I wouldn't mind having a large screen Nook with me at all. Certainly beat carrying around giant textbooks.
B&N has chosen not to make textbooks available on the NOOK. Instead, they're introducing laptop software called NOOKstudy.

I don't expect to see a NOOK device for students in the near future.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
pjh0861
pjh0861 began at the beginning.

I have been going back and forth on to buy a Nook or wait till the new Kindle comes out Aug 27. I am leaning heavier to the Nook but I am afraid that after I buy it they will come out with a more advanced one a month afterward. But it doesn't look like there is much info on this out there just yet.
pjh0861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh0861 View Post
I have been going back and forth on to buy a Nook or wait till the new Kindle comes out Aug 27. I am leaning heavier to the Nook but I am afraid that after I buy it they will come out with a more advanced one a month afterward. But it doesn't look like there is much info on this out there just yet.

That is a risk you take with all technology. I got my K1 about 2 months before the K2 was announced. I was a bit jealous of the folks who ended up with K2s but my K1 suited me just fine.

I am sure that you will enjoy your Nook, or whatever device that you get, even if the next model is announced in September (which is the rumored time). If you wait and it isn't announced, you lose a month to enjoy reading on your ereader. If you buy one an it is announced you can sell it used to buy the new model if you decide you have to have the new model.

No matter how long you wait, there is going to be a new model down the line.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
B&N has chosen not to make textbooks available on the NOOK. Instead, they're introducing laptop software called NOOKstudy.

I don't expect to see a NOOK device for students in the near future.
That's interesting. I guess it also makes sense if you're a student and already carrying around a netbook or laptop for class, why not put it to good use eh? No sense carrying both the laptop and a large ereader.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
RedCylon
RedCylon began at the beginning.

I remember reading somewhere that supposedly the FCC already had a early version of the Nook 2 and was testing it for compliance, with a possible September announcement. I'm waiting until at least the middle of next month before I buy a nook. just to be sure. Still, I guess I can always sell a nook 1 if a nook 2 comes out.
RedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
chichichobits
chichichobits began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wish there were some sort of news or sneak peak I'm really trying to hold out on buying the kindle 3 because I have a feeling nook is going to come out with something better
chichichobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
I've been waiting for an announcement as well before I buy the nook. I hope they tell us by September.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCylon View Post
I remember reading somewhere that supposedly the FCC already had a early version of the Nook 2 and was testing it for compliance, with a possible September announcement.
That's the cost-reduced 3G NOOK that is now out and causing grief for the softrooters.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 2nd nook is the wifi only nook. It's the same as the original nook except no 3G.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote