Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
New Mobi files and Kindle's first line indent

(I posted this also under Calibre conversion, but just in case it's more appropriate here...)

When using the on-its-last-legs Mobipocket Creator, an HTML file with a 0pt first line indent was automatically changed to a first line indent of 10pt upon conversion to mobi. Similarly, an identical HTML file uploaded directly to Kindle had the same annoying first line indent added.

I now use either InDesign's Kindle plug-in or Calibre to create my mobi files, and what I need to know from the group is this: if I have block paragraphs (flushed left, no first line indent), when I upload my mobi file to Kindle, will the formatting be respected by Kindle or will that irritating first line indent be added?

All my tests on Kindle for PC and Kindle Previewer show the new-generation mobi files unaltered, but I don't know if this will hold true once uploaded to Kindle. I had one file sent by a colleague to Kindle's @free.Kindle for conversion to azw and all was well. Am wondering if this will hold.

Has anyone uploaded an InDesign or Calibre mobi to Kindle and had the first line indent added? Or was the formatting respected?
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle will certainly respect the formatting specified in the file. If you don't have a Kindle, you can download from Amazon the "Kindle Previewer" application, which will give you an accurate picture of how a book will appear on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Kindle will definitely honor block paragraphs—provided they're created correctly in the source.

I know, because I constantly have to fix many mobi's whose creators think it's a good idea to have no paragraph indents whatsoever.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Kindle will definitely honor block paragraphs—provided they're created correctly in the source.

I know, because I constantly have to fix many mobi's whose creators think it's a good idea to have no paragraph indents whatsoever.
You and me both, DiapDealer
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

That doesn't tell me if the latest generation Calibre mobi files or the Kindle files from InDesign are "coded" properly. I assume the latter one is as the plug-in is Kindle's own development, but I don't know about Calibre.

Part of the problem as you know was that Kindle was NOT honoring block paragraphs but rather changing the HTML code upon conversion to add the first line indent, or the Kindle device itself is programmed to add the indent regardless of the HTML code, whichever was the case, and Kindle still say on their website that they indent everything, which is why I am asking. All my tests show everything copacetic but I don't want any surprises when I upload to Kindle. Which is why I am asking.

Cheers,
Michelle
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
However your calibre (or InDesign) created mobi looks on the latest version of Kindle Previewer is exactly how it will look on the Kindle device... right down to the full justification glitches due to the Kindle's inability to hyphenate on the fly.

To be perfectly honest, this is the first I've ever heard of any first-line, auto-indenting issues.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
The latest version of Kindle previewer (on the Mac and I assume on the PC) will allow you to drag an epub onto the window and it will create the mobi for you. That might give you one more option to try.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I haven't had any trouble with the kindle file built by MobiPocket IF I have edited the html so that on the paras that need to be flush left I have inserted text-indent:0in; Since I use Word Styles for EVERYTHING...I just edit the styles in the html and don't have to hunt for all the flushleft paras.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote