Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #631
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
From which version did you start the update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
I was looking to the display the whole time

Thanks guys, but i think i'll wait for a next (more "final") version Everything seems to be OK apart from the error message.

Last edited by tomhck; 06-18-2011 at 03:01 PM.
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #632
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
What about get get_root in 2.1.1?

I think I read somewhere that get_root.app isn't working anymore in 2.1.1.
Can anyone confirm this?

Tnx, Kuba
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #633
MartinZ
Zealot
MartinZ doesn't litterMartinZ doesn't litter

Device: PB903, PB603
get_root

Hi jekvb,

i have tried get_root under 2.06 => works
updated to 2.1.1 = does not work any more.

In the russian discussion they say that the exploit they use in get_root (via the NetAgent command with parameter btservice ) is fixed.

I flashed back to 2.06 fo this reason.
If anyone has got a hint to get a FTP-server via WiFi/ or Telnet-server / or a full-Busybox without "get_root" please tell me.

Before this I will not flash any new Firmware, because i love especially the wireless access to the PB903's file-system.
MartinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #634
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinZ View Post
If anyone has got a hint to get a FTP-server via WiFi/ or Telnet-server / or a full-Busybox without "get_root" please tell me.

Before this I will not flash any new Firmware, because i love especially the wireless access to the PB903's file-system.
Thanks for your answer, Martin.
That is what I am thinking.
I like using the get_root.app and the extended network & scripting facilities you can setup with it.

To keep get_root.app available in next FM releases, we could ask the developers to consider the exploit that made get_root possible, as a feature. But I think there should be a big enough userbase for the get_root.app (or get_root-wise scripting) to make it interesting for them.
Does someone know if there is already some action taken for this?

If not, it may be worthwhile setting up a polling and see what reactions are.

Thanks, Kuba
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #635
MartinZ
Zealot
MartinZ doesn't litterMartinZ doesn't litter

Device: PB903, PB603
get_root

Quote:
To keep get_root.app available in next FM releases, we could ask the developers to consider the exploit that made get_root possible, as a feature. But I think there should be a big enough userbase for the get_root.app (or get_root-wise scripting) to make it interesting for them.
Does someone know if there is already some action taken for this?
If you just want a convenient WiFi-access to the reader's file system (and that's what I want in teh first place), then "get_root" has some disadvantages:
  • it makes us root , so security is in danger - we could (without wanting it) do harm to the system by unmounting or deleting something important.
  • some hackers could get root access to our reader via telnet
  • it turns on bluetooth, so battery is discharged quickly

So instead of asking the developers to leave this "hole" open (what they never would be allowed to do by their management, cause a manufacturer of ebook readers has to convince the content -owners of the system's security),
we better should ask for a (non root) wifi-telnet-daemon or (even better or in addition) a wifi-samba server.

But even if pocketbook will not give us something like that, i am sure we can program or port such a program ourselves with help of the new SDK.
As long as we do not need root access or access to system files, that's what we really want, isn't it?

By the way: In the russian discussion they already plan for the "after get_root time" right now:
-They want to "crack" the actual protection that prevents us to flash the PB with an open source firmware (like open inkpot)
-They can already unpack a firmware-archive file and extract the system files. So they could get able to run some of these (modified) files in parallel to the normal firmware. (I am not sure of that, cause the google translation of this forum is a quite funny experience...)
- They look for other "suid" - exploits

There is hope for us, you see...
MartinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #636
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
annotation function

I'm a little disappointed by the way the rubber works in the annotation function of the last firmware (PB 903). It is very slow and it cancel all the line and not just that portion of line that you point with the pen.

Last edited by Shinra tensei; 06-20-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #637
0utis
Enthusiast
0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook 902
I had a weird problem updating to 2.1.0. The anti-aliasing seemed to be broken, text on pdfs was so faded that it was unreadable. After half an hour of use, even the main menu and the screensavers were blurry. An effect very similar to the photos people have posted of e-ink screens affected by direct sunlight - only my Pocketbook 902 hasn't ever been in the sun.

I panicked for a moment, but after going back to 2.0.4 everything is working fine again. Has anyone had the same problem? I wonder if I did something wrong. I updated directly from 2.0.4 to 2.1.0, maybe I have to update first to 2.0.5 and 2.0.6?
0utis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #638
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utis View Post
I wonder if I did something wrong. I updated directly from 2.0.4 to 2.1.0, maybe I have to update first to 2.0.5 and 2.0.6?
Might be, after updating from 2.0.4 the device info said 2.1.1,but all functions were still like 2.0.4,so I downgraded and with an intermediate flash 2.0.6 everything was fine, but I didn't try long enough to see any adverse effects on my screen
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #639
sify903
sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sify903 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
I've just installed 2.1.1, all seems to work fine! The new explorer_t is a big improvement for browsing the filesystem! Can't wait for the final release with this explorer as default library app.
The integrated 'modern' theme is very nice and works fine. The 'education' theme comes with a widget with 'personal information about pupil', but I haven't found out yet where i can change/fill this information. The contextmenu of this widget only accepts 'change widget', widget properties are greyed out. Any suggestions?

Still 2 major requests for future releases:
- a midori webbrowser that support the g-sensor with landscape view, portrait view of a webpage feels very unnatural.
- a 'notepad' like function for creating quick notes in text format. Scribble is not very usefull for real notetaking as it safes tot bitmap. Integration of this notepad with the pdf/ebup reader would be a dream.... :-)

Smaller 'would haves':
- a working agenda instead of a calendar
- an [alt][tab] function to switch between app's and multiple open documents

I know, i am asking a lot, why not buy an ipad.... well, it aint e-ink!
Pocketbook pro is as close as it gets to an e-ink tablet, and with those extra functions a worthy competitor even in the tablet market!
sify903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #640
Cola123
Cola123 began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 902
Hi,

sorry if this has been covered but i cant be bothered trawling through 40 something pages to find a link (sorry!)

Where can i go to find the latest pocketbook 902 firmware?

People on here are talking about 2.1.1 - but the most recent i can find on any of the sites i've seen is 2.0.6...?

I just bought a pocketbook 902 for my dad and I'd like to update it to the newest firmware if possible

Cheers

Simon
Cola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #641
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola123 View Post
Hi,

sorry if this has been covered but i cant be bothered trawling through 40 something pages to find a link (sorry!)

Where can i go to find the latest pocketbook 902 firmware?

People on here are talking about 2.1.1 - but the most recent i can find on any of the sites i've seen is 2.0.6...?

I just bought a pocketbook 902 for my dad and I'd like to update it to the newest firmware if possible

Cheers

Simon
2.1.1 is a Beta version,to be found here
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #642
Cola123
Cola123 began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 902
thanks so much.

What is the latest full version? 2.0.6?

Last edited by Cola123; 06-22-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Cola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #643
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola123 View Post
thanks so much.

What is the latest full version? 2.0.6?
As far as I know it is, but 2.1.1 works quite good on the 602, so maybe you give it a try, downgrading is no problem if there are too many bugs
Old 06-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #644
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I do I know if I have the aplha version or beta version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
As far as I know it is, but 2.1.1 works quite good on the 602, so maybe you give it a try, downgrading is no problem if there are too many bugs
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #645
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
sorry guys, I have the beta, I jsut found out

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
I do I know if I have the aplha version or beta version?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote