Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Firmware Update Instructions and the latest Firmware Versions

Okay, I think we need a message board to update the latest versions of firmware flying around. I for one had difficulty keeping up with the latest versions when they're buried in thread conversations that is not directly related to firmware updates.

How to Update Firmware (both JB and JBL)

1. Make a backup copy of books, audio files, and pictures that you store on your jetBook.
2. Fully charge the jetBook battery.
3. Download and unpack the firmware package and then transfer the Data, firmware, and reflash_nor folders to the root directory of an SD card. Make sure your SD card does not contain any files other than those found in the firmware package.
4. Place the SD card into your jetBook SD slot.
5. Press the Reset button. The device will turn off. Do not turn it on.
6. Press and hold the On/Off button and right arrow key simultaneously until the jetBook logo appears on the screen. When you keep the buttons held down for several seconds past the Jetbook logo, you'll see a warning message asking to confirm that you wanted to do a firmware upgrade. Select OK.
7. The update process will take about 10 – 15 minutes.
WARNING! Do not press any keys on your jetBook while updating is in progress!
8. When the update process is complete, press the Reset button. The device will turn off.
9. Press and hold the On/Off button for 3 seconds. Release the button. jetBook will start within 1 minute.
10. Firmware update process is completed at this point.

Latest JB Firmware

(Updated 01-19-2010, from 0.33g to 0.34c)
(Updated 01-21-2010, from 0.34c to 0.34b - 0.34c was not working, Ectaco provided another link thus the 0.34b)
(Updated 04-09-2010 - updated link for 0.34b provided by heffe2001 coz the Ectaco link returns an error)
(Updated 04-09-2010 - I copied the link for 0.34c provided by heffe2001. Please read issues regarding this version here.)

Version 0.34b (beta)- http://rapidshare.com/files/373858964/JL04-v0.34b.zip
Version 0.34c (beta) - http://rapidshare.com/files/373867704/JL04-v0.34c.zip

Both 0.34b and 0.34c are beta versions. Please read these issues before installing. The latest stable version is 0.33g and can be downloaded here:
http://jetbook.net/upgrade/JL04_v033g.exe

Latest JBL Firmware

(Updated 03-31-2010, from 0.15 to 0.15d)
(Updated 06-25-2010, Received email from Phil of Ectaco with link for "15g". Check 2nd link below.)
(Updated 07-07-2010, New update, 'v. 0.16'. Check 3rd link below)

Version 0.15d - http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade/JL08-v015d.zip
Version 15g - ftp://custftp:FQSswyvGQ20So@ftp.ecta...Lite_0.15g.exe
Version 0.16 - http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade/Lite-016.exe

Link to the official Ectaco Upgrade Page:
http://jetbook.net/upgrade.php

Last edited by mitchwah; 07-07-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: updated latest JBL firmware link emailed by Phil
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Aluratek Libre firmware

As a comparison, here are the Aluratek Libre firmware instructions. Does it really take the Jetbook 10-15 minutes to upgrade? My Libre takes about 2-3 minutes.

Aluratek Libre firmware instructions
1. go to www.aluratek.com then select the “support” tab
2. click the drop down arrow and curser down to the “Libre AEBK01F or
AEBK01WF”
3. select AEBK01F or AEBK01WF – “Libre” from the Drivers drop down menu to download the latest firmware (AEBK01F.zip or AEBK01WF.zip)
4. unzip AEBK01F.zip to find the firmware folder (you may use program such as WinZip)
5. insert the included SD card into AEBK01F
6. power on AEBK01F
7. connect AEBK01F to your computer
8. copy the folder “firmware” to the root directory of the SD card
9. disconnect AEBK01F from your computer after the file transfer
10. Reset AEBK01F by pressing the “RESET” button in the back of the unit
11. Push and hold both ‘>’ and ‘Power’ buttons for more than 5 seconds to boot up until you see the “Aluratek” logo
12. Wait for 10 to 20 seconds until the upgrade screen
13. Follow the on screen instruction to upgrade the unit (Regards to the warning message about the data been erased, only the internal memory will be erased and the free eBooks on the SD card will not be erased)
14. AEBK01F will now update the firmware. Please wait until you see the message
“Firmware Upgrade completed! The upgrade process takes about 2 minutes.

Note: the firmware process will erase the contents on the internal memory of the eBook reader but not the contents in the SD card.

Latest Aluratek Libre Firmware

Added 7/12/2010 update Version 0.17d is available http://aluratek.com/media/downloads/...de-v.0.17d.zip

Last edited by uRwhatUr; 07-12-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added additional information 7/12/2010
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Didn't time it, but it was about 10 minutes to update the jetBook Lite.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm making this a "stickie."

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Didn't time it, but it was about 10 minutes to update the jetBook Lite.
Ditto that, it was about 10 minutes for my jetBook Lite. And the upgrade DOES NOT erase any book content either on internal memory or the SD card, everything on mine remained intact.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
And to be sure, the SD card needts to be formatted in FAT (not FAT32) correct?
I thought i read this on the ECTACO site forum but can't find it.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
That is what was provided in Ectaco's instructions, but I've used FAT32 formatted SD
cards for the last two updates to my JBL, with no problem.

FAT32 would have an advantage for use in an ebook reader as it handles a large number of smaller files well. Whereas, FAT (FAT16) is better with larger files.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
If I could add a comment...
I don't think step 6) above is quite accurate:
Quote:
6. Press and hold the On/Off button and right arrow key simultaneously until the jetBook logo appears on the screen.
I tried doing the upgrade three times without success and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I then looked at the 'official' instructions on www.jetbook.net and noticed that it says wait "till the picture will appear on the screen."

I thought this might mean something other than the Jetbook logo, and indeed it is. When I kept the buttons held down for several seconds past the Jetbook logo, I saw a warning message asking me to confirm that I wanted to do a firmware upgrade, and I was forced to select either OK or Cancel.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Hi LS650... I edited the instructions. thanks!
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
gilowyn
gilowyn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Okay, 5 more minutes of this and I will start screaming, throw the POS against the wall and buy a Kindle. Seriously.

The JetBook Lite froze on me in the middle of a book. Restart, froze again 2 pages later. After that, it wouldn't go further than the first page which says JetBook.

So I figured a firmware update might be handy. That was an hour and a half ago.

I have downloaded the 0.15 firmware for the Lite. Have cleaned the SD card, placd the three folders on there. Reset the machine, placed the SD, pressed On and the > arrow while restarting.

No matter how long I press those, it will not go further than the first screen. No update, nothing.

Any other suggestions before I lose my mind? Pretty Please?
gilowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
gilowyn
gilowyn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nope. cannot get it work. Ectaco was extremely unhelpful as well.... So now this POS is going back and I am ordering a Kindle.
gilowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
Geez, that's too bad - I'm finding my POS works really well.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Change the link for the new firmware to JL04-v0.34b.exe
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Thundergirls
Thundergirls began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I wondered why the download for 34c wasn't working. I can't get logged in to the ftp site, "anonymous" isn't doing it. Anyone have guidance as to how to get this downloaded? Got a new JBL coming tomorrow, love to have the firmware for it.
Thundergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Thundergirls
Thundergirls began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Okay got it, server must have been off for a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergirls View Post
I wondered why the download for 34c wasn't working. I can't get logged in to the ftp site, "anonymous" isn't doing it. Anyone have guidance as to how to get this downloaded? Got a new JBL coming tomorrow, love to have the firmware for it.
Thundergirls is offline   Reply With Quote