Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 05:13 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Can't say as I read it much but I hear it a lot. "The coffee'll be done in a bit." The house'll be down next week." etc. I'm from the Northwest (Portland Or.) and hear that contraction quite often.
Same here. I hear it quite often and even use it myself. So, maybe it's also a Northwest thing?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Same here. I hear it quite often and even use it myself. So, maybe it's also a Northwest thing?
I don't know if that's the case - my dialect is mostly Australian English...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #18
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
For this series to be traditionally published I am questions so much. I have finished the first book and started the second. Well the author put in that a tractor has a parking brake. I learned to drive a tractor before a vehicle. Never in my life have I seen a tractor with a parking brake. UGH!!!
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #19
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't know if that's the case - my dialect is mostly Australian English...

Mayhap it drifted down from the Pilbara area
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
For this series to be traditionally published I am questions so much. I have finished the first book and started the second. Well the author put in that a tractor has a parking brake. I learned to drive a tractor before a vehicle. Never in my life have I seen a tractor with a parking brake. UGH!!!
Yet, I've seen enough references to tractors with a parking brake... (or rather, enough news items where they forgot to put on the parking brake and the tractor ended up somewhere else )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #21
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
You must live somewhere very flat.
A tractor without a handbrake would be in a ditch pretty quickly around here.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems pretty normal to me for dialogue. My pet hate is people who write "of" instead of the contraction "ve". E.g., "I should of done it", rather than "I should've done it". That's just plain ignorant.
Yet there are people who talk that way. They mean "should've" but pronounce it "should-of". If it is in dialogue (or first person narrative) it would be appropriate if done to highlight the person's speech or background.

It is a tough choice fiction writers face because people don't speak by the book, grammatically correct. There's regionalisms, accents, personal foibles. And it can be an effective shorthand to give a character a distinct voice or tie them to their milieu or social stratum. It can be useful and it can be distracting. Writing good dialogue is a talent, not a rulebook skill.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
You must live somewhere very flat.
Not unheard of: https://greatplainstrail.files.wordp...5/dsc01056.jpg

Laura Ingalls raises her hand.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #24
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I always enjoy the random sticking in of 'R' in words by people from different areas. My mother in law is from Long Island, NY. So any word that ends with an A has a R stuck at the end. So Linder instead of Linda, Donner instead of Donna. Then in upper east Tennessee, where I'm from, we stick random R's in the middle of words. Like warsh instead of wash.
I can't imagine how hard all these different ways of speaking would be for authors to get just right! The amount of southern accent we have where I'm from can change within just a few miles area. And we don't sound like a Georgia Peach either, totally different accent.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Can't say as I read it much but I hear it a lot. "The coffee'll be done in a bit." The house'll be down next week." etc. I'm from the Northwest (Portland Or.) and hear that contraction quite often.
Common in Massachusetts and Minnesota. I tend to use it myself. Haven't seen that in print much, but it doesn't seem awkward for dialog.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I wouldn't've batted an eye at something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Dialect is ok when used in moderation but gets old quickly.
Agreed. Just give me taste to get me going, and my brain will provide the dialect after that. There's nothing worse than having to re-read phrases multiple times to try and decipher what a character (who is supposed to be speaking my language) is saying.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Common in Massachusetts and Minnesota. I tend to use it myself. Haven't seen that in print much, but it doesn't seem awkward for dialog.
Yup. Perfectly common in spoken language, but not so much in print.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's entirely normal in spoken British English, but I do find it jarring in print, other than in the common contractions such as "I'll".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Agreed. Just give me taste to get me going, and my brain will provide the dialect after that. There's nothing worse than having to re-read phrases multiple times to try and decipher what a character (who is supposed to be speaking my language) is saying.
Mark Twain is one of the most challenging authors in that respect. I'm sure his reproductions of spoken accents are accurate, but they're tough on the reader!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #30
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Another one that is "gonna" upset me. Not in written dialog but when used by speakers in formal settings who should know better. When are they "going to" learn?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote