Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 AM   #16
Brenart
Brenart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Clara HD is mixing the white and orange LEDs. But, looking at my Clara HD, I'm pretty sure that at maximum orange, the white LEDs are completely turned off. And at completely white, the orange lights are off.
Same for the nook, night mode is awesome, the white LEDs are off.

Inverted mode will feel better on the eyes than normal mode, but these aren't OLED screens, you're pumping out the same blue light with normal and inverted modes... I guess less will be reflected towards the eyes though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Brenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i have the kobo aura h20 2nd edition which isnt a bluelight (i had previous kobo and agree 1% at night too harsh) mine dimms and gets more orange nearer the selected 'bedtime;

i love it
Agreed. My Forma has the 'natural lighting' feature and auto-adjustment as well, it's super handy and comparing it side-by-side with a Kindle Oasis 2, both my wife and I preferred the Forma in regards to the lighting.
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #18
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridr View Post
Does the Clara also have an inverted mode?
I don't know specifically if the Clara does, but in the Forma, I just learned a tip from @davidfor:

1. On the home screen, go into search and search for "devmodeon". Just the act of searching for it enables developer settings (the search returns no hits, but it still works).
2. Go into Settings | Device Information | Developer Options. There you'll find a setting to invert the screen. This is not quite as handy the first time you use it as the Kindle's mode of inverting (which you can get to directly in their Accessibility settings). But it works fine, and step 1 only has to be done once.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:02 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenart View Post
Inverted mode will feel better on the eyes than normal mode,
That's very much a matter of personal taste, of course. I tried using inverted mode on my Oasis and wasn't at all enamoured by it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #20
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenart View Post

Inverted mode will feel better on the eyes than normal mode
(e.a.)

There's no "will" about it - it's VERY subjective. My personal loathing of "night mode" is only marginally less than my abhorrence of audiobooks. Trying to read any significant amount of white text on a black background makes me feel ill in a very short time. I find it tolerable only in the terse, spare setting of a CLI window. It should, of course, be an option for those who do like it, but to say it "will" feel better on the eyes is to contradict the personal reactions of MANY readers.
Advert
Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #21
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I don't know specifically if the Clara does, but in the Forma, I just learned a tip from @davidfor:

1. On the home screen, go into search and search for "devmodeon". Just the act of searching for it enables developer settings (the search returns no hits, but it still works).
2. Go into Settings | Device Information | Developer Options. There you'll find a setting to invert the screen. This is not quite as handy the first time you use it as the Kindle's mode of inverting (which you can get to directly in their Accessibility settings). But it works fine, and step 1 only has to be done once.
That is very useful information. But just to clarify then, it's possible to use this inverted mode and also the "comfortlight" feature (orange light) at the same time, correct?
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That is very useful information. But just to clarify then, it's possible to use this inverted mode and also the "comfortlight" feature (orange light) at the same time, correct?
Yes, you can.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth noting that the Kindle's "inverted mode" is, as I understand it, more tightly integrated with the system than is the case on the Kobo. In inverted mode, the "black flash" of a screen refresh obviously becomes a "white flash", which is a lot more noticeable. Amazon alleviate the visibility of this by turning off the front light during the refresh.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon alleviate the visibility of this by turning off the front light during the refresh.
When did that start? They certainly did not turn off the light when the invert mode was introduced.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #25
JohnDae
Connoisseur
JohnDae began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
Another option is to fully disable the frontlight at night and read by incandescent light bulb. Kobo might support that, Pocketbook supports it. None of these vendors even specify if they use PWM to dim their leds, this way for sure no PWM.
JohnDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #26
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo does support the ability to completely turn off their front lights.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's perhaps worth noting that the Kindle's "inverted mode" is, as I understand it, more tightly integrated with the system than is the case on the Kobo. In inverted mode, the "black flash" of a screen refresh obviously becomes a "white flash", which is a lot more noticeable. Amazon alleviate the visibility of this by turning off the front light during the refresh.
Sorry for the necropost, but in case anyone is researching inverted light on Kobo or Kindle, you can turn off the white screen flash that occurs after every ten pages turns or so in Koreader. I don't know if you can do so in the standard Kindle or Kobo UI, but you can definately do so in Koreader, and it is essential as the flash is very jarring after the inverted text.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #28
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I see the the Kindles are on sale right now and am tempted to get one to replace my older Kindle. But I'm hoping that the next generation will have an amber frontlight that can be used at night (in addition to a white one)--so I'm holding out for that...
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:05 AM   #29
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I see the the Kindles are on sale right now and am tempted to get one to replace my older Kindle. But I'm hoping that the next generation will have an amber frontlight that can be used at night (in addition to a white one)--so I'm holding out for that...
Stridr, the new kindle oasis has a amber frontlight too, together with most of the kobos currently being sold on kobo's website. If you don't want to buy the Kindle Oasis and no Kindle Paperwhite with amber lighting comes out, I suggest you get the Kobo Clara HD. It cost only a tiny bit more than the Paperwhite and is lighter. It also has the amber lighting that you are looking for.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #30
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I'm assuming you want an eInk device, but if that isn't a restriction then the answer is an android phone or tablet with an AMOLED screen.
These have true blacks, so using inverted text means that background gives out no light at all, and if the system minimum brightness isn't low enough for you, there are apps that can drop it to any level you want.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote