Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
wwlegalaid
wwlegalaid began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle for PC
The icon for Page Edit is missing

May be I am just out of luck because when I followed Stephen Outram's video "Create an eBook with Sigil | Update | Integrating Page Edit" to show people how to use Sigil 0.9.15 to invoke Page Edit yesterday, everything worked as they were taught in the video. I was so happy because I can simply paste the entire chapter of my book in the Page Edit and code will be generated automatically.

However, today, the icon that looks like a pen in the Sigil window that was used to invoke Page Edit no longer exists. Therefore, there is no way to use Page Edit to simply copy and paste the entire chapter to Sigil any more.

It was really nice to be able to use Page Edit with Sigil but no more. Very, very sad. Hope someone can put please that icon back on Sigil window to invoke Page Edit which is the equivalence of Book View.
wwlegalaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
We did not remove the Launch External Html Editor button/icon from Sigil. The icon changed sometime after Sigil 0.9.15, but unless you hid that toolbar, the functionality for launching PageEdit via that button is still there. It now looks like an 'X' comprised of a blue slash and a pencil in the most recent versions of Sigil. But if you're still using Sigil 0.9.15, it's more likely that you've just accidentally hidden the "Edit" Toolbar. Use the View->Toolbars menu to recheck the "Edit" toolbar and the icon will reappear. The keyboard shortcut should still work for that feature even if the toolbar itself is hidden.

I do not know anything about Stephen Outram--nor do we endorse any third-party instructional videos regarding Sigil--but you should know that Sigil version 0.9.15 is outdated and unsupported. You're quite welcome to stay with the older version if it suits your needs, but you're not as likely to get as much support as you would with recent versions.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-23-2020 at 06:42 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
- idle thought, could the button for default xhtml editor inherit its icon from the editor itself - or allow the user to specify an icon/png whatever.

From someone who's using a short stick to push buttons

Take care - BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That seems like overkill to me. The button does what you set the button to do. Click the button or use its shortcut. And it still wouldn't help if--as I believe happened in this case--the user inadvertently closed the Edit toolbar the button is a part of.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:20 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I agree - my initial thought was based on the premise that the button was only for PageEdit, so why make it different. Then I saw it was for any preferred xhtml editor, but I thought what the heck throw it out there anyway, someone might be bored s***under home detention looking for something to do - apart from strangle the cat.

I also like the PageEdit icon - I have know idea why, at best I'm indifferent to most icons.

But one question, are the images that Sigil uses internally easily accessible/replaceable.

Take Care - BR
Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But one question, are the images that Sigil uses internally easily accessible/replaceable.
Depends on the definition of "easily." Sigil's icons are compiled resources. If you're set up to compile Sigil from source, the various icons can be trivially replaced and Sigil rebuilt to use them. If not, then a user may be able to change them with Qt styling. But I'm not certain there's enough granularity to accommodate the changing of a single action's icon. Perhaps @BeckyEbook can answer that.

Making Sigil's icons "themeable" is something I've mentioned in passing before. But no efforts in that direction are currently being made. I find it very hard to use my limited Sigil development time for purely aesthetic pursuits.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If not, then a user may be able to change them with Qt styling. But I'm not certain there's enough granularity to accommodate the changing of a single action's icon. Perhaps @BeckyEbook can answer that.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to replace a single icon by a QSS file. I'm not saying I didn't try, but it didn't work.
Additional information: here.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

It was a curiosity query.

The only icon I would even consider changing is the one for OPF files, I'd fix it to the PageEdit icon, at the moment it's using the icon from default handler for OPF files from Windows, which is Notepad++ and I don't want to change that. More over the top thinking.

Subject closed for me at least

BR
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Unfortunately, it is not possible to replace a single icon by a QSS file. I'm not saying I didn't try, but it didn't work.
Additional information: here.
That's why I pinged you on it. I knew if anybody had attempted it, you probably had. Thanks for the info.