Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #286
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I noticed a couple of weeks ago I bought three books by the same author (T.E.D. Klein) on Kobo UK. When I went to download them from the Kobo website, I got two ePubs and one ACSM file. I'm assuming the two ePubs were DRM free and the ACSM was an ePub sold with DRM. I yanked them all into Calibre which removes any DRM anyway, so I'm just assuming.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-27-2022 at 11:04 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:17 AM   #287
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I noticed a couple of weeks ago I bought three books by the same author (T.E.D. Klein) on Kobo UK. When I went to download them from the Kobo website, I got two ePubs and one ACSM file. I'm assuming the two ePubs were DRM free and the ACSM was an ePub sold with DRM. I yanked them all into Calibre which removes any DRM anyway, so I'm just assuming.
That is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #288
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There may be no Adobe DRM, but maybe there is some social DRM?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #289
Aleron Ives
Guru
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
And the ADE epub version has DRM, and can be sideloaded using ADE and a USB cable.
Maybe my definition is non-standard, but I don't think using ADE counts as sideloading. Kobo officially supports ADE and Adobe's DRM, and Kobo provides official ACSM downloads on its website. To me, sideloading only applies to content added to the e-reader via unofficial methods, which means the content must be unencrypted.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #290
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Maybe my definition is non-standard, but I don't think using ADE counts as sideloading. Kobo officially supports ADE and Adobe's DRM, and Kobo provides official ACSM downloads on its website. To me, sideloading only applies to content added to the e-reader via unofficial methods, which means the content must be unencrypted.
The standard definition of sideloading is copying a file to your reader via USB. As opposed to downloading.

Edit: and it's not necessarily unofficial. For example, Amazon has an option to copy a Kindle book to your Kindle via USB transfer. I guess it's meant for people who have no wifi, only wired internet.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-27-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2022, 11:37 PM   #291
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There may be no Adobe DRM, but maybe there is some social DRM?
I haven't looked and honestly don't care. I'd be all for social DRM being the standard. If I can download a file, open it with Sigil and slap it on any reader without jumping through hoops, that is wonderful.

And if hiding my credit card number, social security number and shoe size somewhere in the book file makes the seller feel better, that is fine by me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #292
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Sideloading may generally refer to 'unofficial' sources when you're talking about sideloading apps. But when talking about sideloading data like ebooks, it just means transferring it from one device to another locally, typically via USB.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:37 AM   #293
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Sage battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From my notes, these are some of the changes in 4.34.20097.
  • Kernel fix to address battery capacity issues
Has anybody noticed an improvement for the Sage on this?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #294
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The Sage's kernel wasn't updated in this FW (nor the one before, IIRC, the last kernel update was two FW versions ago, and was probably focused on making the PowerCover slightly less broken (spoiler: it still is)) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release