Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2022, 09:58 PM   #1
ilovekobo
ilovekobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD
I changed the sdcard of my Kobo Libra 2

I moved to Kobo Libra 2 from Kobo Clara and thought of doing the same sdcard upgrade that I did with the Kobo Clara. Turns out it wasn't as easy in Kobo Libra 2 due to the waterproof coating around the sdcard in Libra 2. In my first attempt I follow some of the suggestions on the internet using hot air gun to melt the coating and jiggle out the sdcard but I ended up damaging the card and have to buy a replacement unit.

In my second attempt I tried different approach and succeeded. Therefore I want to share with people how I did it for those who want to give it a go. But please remember, you are doing this at your own risk.

In my second attempt instead of melting the coating I forced the card out with the coating intact hoping that the coating get torn off the PCB board in the process and make it easier to slot in the new card.

The first step was to turn off your kobo first. Then separate the sdcard from the top part of the slot by inserting a very thin metal (I used a very thin screwdriver) between the upper side of the card and the slot. This will make pushing out the card easier having removed the resistance from top part, leaving only the sides and bottom parts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	2108
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	195895

The next step was to push the card out from the tiny hole at the bottom side of the socket. I used a very sturdy and good quality SIM card pin (from the fruit brand phone). Be careful not to damage other components of the PCB while you are doing this. The key here is to be firm and steady when you apply the force to push the card out. Make sure the pin is pushing against the card and not the PCB board.

Name:	pic 2.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	195896

Once you have pushed out the card remember to clean it using 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the residual coating before inserting it into your sdcard reader. I didn't do it during my first attempt and ruined my sdcard reader as result. Once you have cleaned it then mirror copy the card to your new card, apply the necessary steps to manage the partition etc. There's plenty of internet guide on how to do this part so I won't repeat them here.

Once you have the new card prepared just insert them into the slot and boot up your kobo.

The next step is optional, if you want to maintain the waterproof feature of your kobo you can use a chemical called Conformal Coating that is designed for electronic components to coat the sdcard and socket. This will protect it against moisture just like how it was before. I applied 3 coatings to it, leaving a transparent coat over the sdcard and socket.

Name:	pic 3.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	195897
Photo of the sdcard with the coating, can't really see it under normal lighting other than some parts being shiny.

Name:	pic 4.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	195898

Below is the photo of the coating under black light, since my coating has UV tracing.

Name:	pic 6.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	195900

The result after the sdcard was swapped.

Name:	pic 5.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	195899
ilovekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:13 PM   #2
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekobo View Post
I moved to Kobo Libra 2 from Kobo Clara and thought of doing the same sdcard upgrade that I did with the Kobo Clara. Turns out it wasn't as easy in Kobo Libra 2 due to the waterproof coating around the sdcard in Libra 2. In my first attempt I follow some of the suggestions on the internet using hot air gun to melt the coating and jiggle out the sdcard but I ended up damaging the card and have to buy a replacement unit.

In my second attempt I tried different approach and succeeded. Therefore I want to share with people how I did it for those who want to give it a go. But please remember, you are doing this at your own risk.

In my second attempt instead of melting the coating I forced the card out with the coating intact hoping that the coating get torn off the PCB board in the process and make it easier to slot in the new card.

The first step was to turn off your kobo first. Then separate the sdcard from the top part of the slot by inserting a very thin metal (I used a very thin screwdriver) between the upper side of the card and the slot. This will make pushing out the card easier having removed the resistance from top part, leaving only the sides and bottom parts.
Attachment 195895

The next step was to push the card out from the tiny hole at the bottom side of the socket. I used a very sturdy and good quality SIM card pin (from the fruit brand phone). Be careful not to damage other components of the PCB while you are doing this. The key here is to be firm and steady when you apply the force to push the card out. Make sure the pin is pushing against the card and not the PCB board.
Attachment 195896

Once you have pushed out the card remember to clean it using 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the residual coating before inserting it into your sdcard reader. I didn't do it during my first attempt and ruined my sdcard reader as result. Once you have cleaned it then mirror copy the card to your new card, apply the necessary steps to manage the partition etc. There's plenty of internet guide on how to do this part so I won't repeat them here.

Once you have the new card prepared just insert them into the slot and boot up your kobo.

The next step is optional, if you want to maintain the waterproof feature of your kobo you can use a chemical called Conformal Coating that is designed for electronic components to coat the sdcard and socket. This will protect it against moisture just like how it was before. I applied 3 coatings to it, leaving a transparent coat over the sdcard and socket.
Attachment 195897
Photo of the sdcard with the coating, can't really see it under normal lighting other than some parts being shiny.
Attachment 195898

Below is the photo of the coating under black light, since my coating has UV tracing.
Attachment 195900

Attachment 195899
well done for managing to do it on the 2nd attempt all be it having to buy a new Libra 2. also thank you for confirming why i don't like waterproof ereader's using SD cards.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
ilovekobo

Thanks koboy! It was quite an expensive exercise but hopefully my experince can help others do it with less risk
Old 08-15-2022, 10:44 PM   #4
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Thanks koboy! It was quite an expensive exercise but hopefully my experince can help others do it with less risk

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #5
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
I'm curious why there is an extra MicroSD item in the storage section.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 11:01 PM   #6
ilovekobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windirt View Post
I'm curious why there is an extra MicroSD item in the storage section.
To be honest I have no idea . I wonder if someone can help explain it. Maybe the software I used did something weird to it when I clone it to the new card. But everything works fine so far
Old 08-15-2022, 11:41 PM   #7
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:

Attachment 195895

Attachment 195896

Attachment 195897
Attachment 195898

Attachment 195900

Attachment 195899

Can the 99% isopropyl alcohol dissolve the glue?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:47 PM   #8
ilovekobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Can the 99% isopropyl alcohol dissolve the glue?
Yes it can but still need a bit of rubbing/wiping to remove the residue.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:31 AM   #9
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes it can but still need a bit of rubbing/wiping to remove the residue.
I was just wondering why you did't use alcohol in the first place when you first removed the sdcard from the slot prior to using a screwdriver
Old 08-16-2022, 01:35 AM   #10
ilovekobo

Quote:
I was just wondering why you did't use alcohol in the first place when you first removed the sdcard from the slot prior to using a screwdriver
I was worried the residue will remain inside that narrow space and interfere with the sdcard connection to the pins inside. Hence I use the pin to push out the sdcard with the glue still intact, hoping for no residue inside once the card is out.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:51 AM   #11
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
I was worried the residue will remain inside that narrow space and interfere with the sdcard connection to the pins inside. Hence I use the pin to push out the sdcard with the glue still intact, hoping for no residue inside once the card is out.
so in theory, drenching the sd card and sd slot with alcohol to soften the glue and then pushing the sd card out (like you did) seems to be a better option?
Old 08-16-2022, 02:11 AM   #12
ilovekobo

Quote:
so in theory, drenching the sd card and sd slot with alcohol to soften the glue and then pushing the sd card out (like you did) seems to be a better option?
Drenching it with alcohol will turn the glue into gooey mess inside the sdcard slot and there is no guarantee it will come out alongside the sdcard when you push it. Then you will have to use something small enough to get inside to scoop out all the residue without damaging the pins. And if by chance the goo gets between the sdcard and the pin you won't be able to access the card properly. I ruined my sdcard reader by inserting the sdcard into it without properly cleaning off the glue residue.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:46 AM   #13
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Fascinating and well done.
I must admit that I've never filled even the smaller cards that came with the older devices, and will come nowhere near the supplied 32Gig for the Libra, so wouldn't dream of doing this, but I'm impressed
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 AM   #14
ilovekobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I must admit that I've never filled even the smaller cards that came with the older devices, and will come nowhere near the supplied 32Gig for the Libra, so wouldn't dream of doing this, but I'm impressed
Same here, my usage stays under 10GB and I am yet to delete any of my ebook collection. I did it because I read somewhere it might make the data loading faster e.g. booting up and page turning. And I think it did become faster but it could be just a placebo effect having invested so much effort and money into the whole process... lol
Old 08-16-2022, 05:13 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
It's useful to know if you ever need to get at the SD card in case you ever need to replace it because it's starting to fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libra 2, sdcard