Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #16
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Out of curiosity and ignorance, what are these demo slides?
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:41 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Out of curiosity and ignorance, what are these demo slides?
What you see when you put the device into demonstration mode. Type demomodeon in the search box. If the images can't be found, you will get a popup saying Demo slideshow not found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	226
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	194243

Edit: Attached a sample image of the demo slideshow

Name:	screen_002.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	194252

Last edited by DNSB; 06-10-2022 at 12:43 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2022, 10:47 PM   #18
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Curious. My ClaraHD updated on its own for both of these recent firmware updates, but my Elipsa still hasn't updated to the last one. (So I manually forced it since I had some time tonight.)

At any rate, I ran into an error when uploading books to my ClaraHD from Calibre with this firmware installed. I get a "Kobo database version unsupported" error. Guess we'll have to wait for Davidfor to wake up to the good news (though this may be a Calibre issue). I did successfully use KoboUtilities to check the database on my ClaraHD. Also, the ebook transferred over just fine despite the error dialog.

Last edited by Cootey; 06-09-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:53 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Feel free to follow the suggestion in the error message to support unsupported database versions.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:59 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Curious. My ClaraHD updated on its own for both of these recent firmware updates, but my Elipsa still hasn't updated to the last one. (So I manually forced it since I had some time tonight.)

At any rate, I ran into an error when uploading books to my ClaraHD from Calibre with this firmware installed. I get a "Kobo database version unsupported" error. Guess we'll have to wait for Davidfor to wake up to the good news (though this may be a Calibre issue). I did successfully use KoboUtilities to check the database on my ClaraHD. Also, the ebook transferred over just fine despite the error dialog.
That is expected. The updates in calibre to recognise firmware version 4.33.x have not been released yet. There may be a calibre release today, but, it would normally happen earlier than this. That probably means it will be next week. Until then, you can follow the instructions in the message with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2022, 03:15 AM   #21
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is expected. The updates in calibre to recognise firmware version 4.33.x have not been released yet. There may be a calibre release today, but, it would normally happen earlier than this. That probably means it will be next week. Until then, you can follow the instructions in the message with no problems.
Thank you. I'm not usually an early adopter around here, so it's been a while since I've seen that error message. But since everything copied fine, and I don't use Calibre to manage my Kobo, no worries over here.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:34 AM   #22
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thank you. I'm not usually an early adopter around here, so it's been a while since I've seen that error message. But since everything copied fine, and I don't use Calibre to manage my Kobo, no worries over here.
Calibre 5.43 just got released a few minutes ago
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:59 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
SideloadedMode=true seems disabled on this release on Sage? At least it WAS there after update, but homepage reappeared after a sync and removed the option. Putting it back in hasn't worked.
However Advanced Notebook seems OK
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
SideloadedMode=true seems disabled on this release on Sage? At least it WAS there after update, but homepage reappeared after a sync and removed the option. Putting it back in hasn't worked.
However Advanced Notebook seems OK
Somehow I "signed in" with Sync. After this SideloadedMode=true didn't work. I tried power off /on.
In the end I signed out. It reboots, needs WiFi password and sign-in.
It re-imported everything and lost all reading and series settings, so I restored the database I'd saved a little earlier today and edited the SideloadedMode=true
in again
No notebooks, but no homepage. Notebooks appeared when I went to Settings, My Notebooks, but 1st use help pages re-activated and pen weight changed.

However all is now as before, notebooks & stylus working, all reading settings and no Home Page.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Calibre 5.43 just got released a few minutes ago
But, according to https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new, calibre 5.43 was released on 27/05/2022.

Calibre releases are normally every two weeks on a Friday. Which would be today. I assume the developer is busy with something.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #26
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, according to https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new, calibre 5.43 was released on 27/05/2022.

Calibre releases are normally every two weeks on a Friday. Which would be today. I assume the developer is busy with something.
Whoah. That is weird. That update only just apoeared to my calibre today. I used calibre probably 3 times this week and no ptompt for the update appeared.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #27
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How to enable Dyslexic Mode in firmware 4.33+

I figured out how to activate the Dyslexic Mode introduced in firmware 4.33.19608.

In your Kobo eReader.conf file, under [ApplicationPreferences] enter:

Code:
DyslexicMode=true
It will make the UI use the OpenDyslexic font.

A caveat is that you need to have the OpenDyslexic font in your system partition (i.e. /usr/local/Trolltech/blahblahblah). If you deleted it or only have a copy in /mnt/onboard/fonts, it won't work (although I wonder if a patch could be made to change the file path it looks for the font at; I assume it's hardcoded).

The good news is that you can drop in the newer r3 version of the rewrite of the font that has extra glyphs and language support and it still works.

And (although I haven't tried this myself) if you wanted to have the UI show traditionally unsupported characters like Cyrillic or Vietnamese, I think if you take your favourite font that has that support (ex. Noto Sans) and change the internal font name to OpenDyslexic and replace the stock version with it, it will display that instead.

Hopefully, this is a stepping stone to Kobo allowing us to change the UI font officially without having to use patches or internally rename fonts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_001.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	194268   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	250
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	194283   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	205
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	194284   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	215
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	194285  

Last edited by rtiangha; 06-10-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: more screenshots
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:05 PM   #28
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I figured out how to activate the Dyslexic Mode introduced in firmware 4.33.19608.

In your Kobo eReader.conf file, under [ApplicationPreferences] enter:

Code:
DyslexicMode=true
It will make the UI use the OpenDyslexic font.

A caveat is that you need to have the OpenDyslexic font in your system partition (i.e. /usr/local/Trolltech/blahblahblah). If you deleted it or only have a copy in /mnt/onboard/fonts, it won't work (although I wonder if a patch could be made to change the file path it looks for the font at; I assume it's hardcoded).

The good news is that you can drop in the newer r3 version of the rewrite of the font that has extra glyphs and language support and it still works.

And (although I haven't tried this myself) if you wanted to have the UI show traditionally unsupported characters like Cyrillic or Vietnamese, I think if you take your favourite font that has that support (ex. Noto Sans) and change the internal font name to OpenDyslexic and replace the stock version with it, it will display that instead.

Hopefully, this is a stepping stone to Kobo allowing us to change the UI font officially without having to use patches or internally rename fonts.
why are your covers in full color?
Old 06-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #29
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
why are your covers in full color?
Probably because these are raw screen dumps taken internally, and kobo's gui is actually color even though the HW doesn't support it (yet).
compurandom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #30
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Probably because these are raw screen dumps taken internally, and kobo's gui is actually color even though the HW doesn't support it (yet).
Thanks, I did not know that.

Tags
firmware, firmware release