Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 02:43 AM   #31
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post

So, if I understand you correctly, the release notes will only be available when one installs a new FW OTA as then 1st the release notes are fetched and stored on the device, and 2nd the FW itself.

As that might be true for the Clara, it certainly is not true for my KA2 v1 due to my experience. It is still odd
This is my wife's unpatched Aura H2O2, updated OTA, confirming David's posts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ota.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	182373  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:00 AM   #32
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
The Dutch-Dutch and English-Dutch dictionaries now use the Van Dale professional (2020) dictionary. Before they used the Van Dale pocket dictionaries, so this is a nice change!
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 03:01 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
How can we tell? I just did a sync, which only took a few seconds, then checked a couple of words in the book I'm reading now, now indications of a new dictionary that I could see
If the sync only took a few seconds, it won't have downloaded the new dictionaries. I don't know what time they became available. They weren't at around 11am Sydney time, but, are now at 16:36.

How to tell? The new English dictionary is 15MB in size whereas the older was about 7MB. It also shows a copyright statement at the end of each definition. When you look at the dictionary, the layout is different.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:19 AM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The new English dictionary is 15MB in size whereas the older was about 7MB. It also shows a copyright statement at the end of each definition. When you look at the dictionary, the layout is different.
It's well after midday here now, and after another synch, my English dictionary is still 7.1MB
Old 10-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #35
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I couldn't be happier!!!

The new English-German dictionary is from Oxford University Press and a 2019 edition, too!

It not only found both words I was trying to look up with the old dictionary (maim and taught, it also showed samples of how to use these words and where they derive from in the case of taught.

Now the Libra is everything I need in a reader and as useful for me as my Sonys used to be. I just love it!

Thank you Kobo and everyone who made that happen @davidfor!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 04:07 AM   #36
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

I got mine about 3 minutes after my last post, and couldn't agree more with all the praise! FINALLY, the one big advantage Kindle had over Kobo for me has been addressed. Even though I don't use the dictionary that much, it's great that now I can unapologetically advocate for Kobo without having to shamefacedly mumble "shame about the dictionary, but"
Old 10-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #37
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
The Dutch-Dutch and English-Dutch dictionaries now use the Van Dale professional (2020) dictionary. Before they used the Van Dale pocket dictionaries, so this is a nice change!
I checked the date/time stamps of all dict files and noticed they were all updated, except for the French-Dutch one, which has no copyright either.
Overall, the dictionaries are now much improved: pages of info where only a single page was presented in the past
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:55 AM   #38
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Overall, the dictionaries are now much improved: pages of info where only a single page was presented in the past

I'm currently reading The Big Book of Female Detectives and came across a word that stumped the new dictionary, "muscipular". I was even more surprised to discover that even the REAL Oxford, the OED online, has no entry for the word either!
" Crawling along like a cat about to commit an act of feline ferocity upon some muscipular abortion"
Old 10-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #39
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I couldn't be happier!!!

The new English-German dictionary is from Oxford University Press and a 2019 edition, too!
I don't know what to feel, really. The Swedish dictionary I got is copyrighted 2013. Feels a bit old, but what do I know? 😐
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:30 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those who want the new Oxford English dictionary and do not want to sync, here is the URL.

http://download.kobobooks.com/ereade...3/dicthtml.zip
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:44 AM   #41
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
I don't know what to feel, really. The Swedish dictionary I got is copyrighted 2013. Feels a bit old, but what do I know? 😐
What was the copyright date of the previous Swedish dictionary? Perhaps 2013 is still better than whatever it replaced?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #42
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
[...] "muscipular". I was even more surprised to discover that even the REAL Oxford, the OED online, has no entry for the word either!
" Crawling along like a cat about to commit an act of feline ferocity upon some muscipular abortion"
It is a Anglicized Latin word, meaning "mouse-trap", so I do not think you can blame the Oxford dictionary
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:58 AM   #43
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
It is a Anglicized Latin word, meaning "mouse-trap", so I do not think you can blame the Oxford dictionary
Indeed, no blame was intended - the story in question was published in 1854, when such inkhorn pretensions were more commonplace, I suspect.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #44
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I updated and I'm very happy so far, though I'll have to test them as I read!

The Italian dictionary was updated to the Oxford Languages one (the same that pops up on google) and it definitely seems to be much more complete than the old Devoto-Oli. Same goes for the translation dictionaries: the ones I have for English, Italian and Spanish are all copyrighted as Oxford University Press but it's easy to guess what some might be (the English-Italian is most likely the Oxford Paravia etc.).
Also, for those who are interested, the Spanish one is the Diccionario General de la Lengua Española by VOX and the Japanese one has no copyright (but I did a quick search and it should be the Digital Daijisen). All seem to have been updated to their 2019 versions.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #45
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
Perhaps your folk are smarter than mine and do not invent silly new words each year, so 2013 is still all you need?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release