Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
Question Serial Jailbreak Kindle Oasis 1 - Need help

Hi! After some experiments, I finally find out the serial port of Kindle Oasis 1 (Tx, Rx, and GND) as in the picture.
[IMG=853,400]https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181269&stc=1&d=1597236 967[/IMG]
I successfully access to uboot by connect with USB to TTL adapter.
But when I enter the code
Code:
bootm 0xE41000
to access diag mode, it stucks somewhere in loading kernel.

Could anyone have any idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1683
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	181270   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	1632
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	181271  

Last edited by Dra_w; 08-12-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Here is the serial connection

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg
Views:	1606
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	181274  
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Congratulations! You are the FIRST to locate the serial port on an Oasis model!

I would suggest you start looking at this thread for some guidance:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

Hopefully it is applicable to your model as well. I have not had to do a serial jailbreak myself, so I have no personal experience to fall back on.

Hopefully you will gain the attention with this thread of those who had hoped to jailbreak their KOA for a long time and those who have serial experience to offer guidance. If it is not quick in coming a PM to some of those who have done so might help.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
Dra_w
Night Owl

Thank you Dave. I figure it out how to solve this. I'll prepare the guide and share with everyone ASAP.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:42 AM   #5
daduke
daduke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Wifi
thanks for finding the serial port! I managed to (re)jailbreak my KOA yesterday.
daduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
tinbilly
tinbilly began at the beginning.

Device: koa
Quote:
Originally Posted by daduke View Post
thanks for finding the serial port! I managed to (re)jailbreak my KOA yesterday.
Hi daduke,

Can you share how you managed to (re)jailbreak your KOA? I followed the instructions at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...lbreaking+Step, but could not access to uboot. Many thanks!
tinbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
daduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbilly View Post

Can you share how you managed to (re)jailbreak your KOA? I followed the instructions at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...lbreaking+Step, but could not access to uboot. Many thanks!
that's almost exactly what I did. The only difference was that instead of
Code:
bootm 0xE41000
I needed a different address (which I found by running getenv or something like that.
If you can't enter uboot check your tty settings (esp. flow contral and local echo and such)..
Good luck
Old 02-21-2021, 03:50 AM   #8
tinbilly

Many thanks, daduke. I tried both a CP210x USB to UART and a USB UART TTL FT232RL boards on a Windows 10 laptop. And no board recognized my any key press to stop the autoboot. Any advise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daduke View Post
that's almost exactly what I did. The only difference was that instead of
Code:
bootm 0xE41000
I needed a different address (which I found by running getenv or something like that.
If you can't enter uboot check your tty settings (esp. flow contral and local echo and such)..
Good luck

Last edited by tinbilly; 02-21-2021 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Many thanks, daduke. I tried both a CP210x USB to UART and a USB UART TTL FT232RL boards on a Windows 10 laptop. And no board recognized my any key press to stop the autoboot. Any advise?
Are you sure your connections are good? Do you hold down a key as soon as you see output beginning? The window is short to interrupt the automatic boot and you can't wait for the prompt.

Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
tinbilly

Yes, I continuously held down a key as soon as I saw the output beginning. I even kept holding down the Enter key but could not stop the autoboot. Attached is the output on Putty terminal for your advise. Many thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Are you sure your connections are good? Do you hold down a key as soon as you see output beginning? The window is short to interrupt the automatic boot and you can't wait for the prompt.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: txt kindle oasis_restart device_log.txt (16.5 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by tinbilly; 02-22-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Yes, I continuously hold down a key as soon as I saw the output beginning. I even kept holding down the Enter key but could not stop the autoboot. Attached is the output on Putty terminal for your advise. Many thanks for your help!
You are beyond my help at this point, as I do not have that model nor the skills and equipment required to do so myself.

The log appears to show you are doing a restart of some sort as opposed to a cold reboot. I don't know if that will make a difference or not, perhaps someone else can say. If it does I would think holding the power button for a long time, I think it takes 15 or 30 seconds, might do the trick.

If that does not work hopefully someone else with actual experience will comment on this.

Dave
Old 02-23-2021, 04:35 AM   #12
tinbilly

Dave,

I have one question. How can I know if the connections are good? I thought as long as I got the output on Putty terminal and got the Rx Tx LED lights, then the connections were all good.

Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post

Dave
Old 02-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #13
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Dave,

I have one question. How can I know if the connections are good? I thought as long as I got the output on Putty terminal and got the Rx Tx LED lights, then the connections were all good.

Many thanks!
You obviously have a good connection on the outbound side and the ground or you would not be seeing the output in Putty. The lack of response to your inputs might indiate a problem with the other connection. I don't know how else you can confirm a good connection there, but my understanding is that these pads are easy to damage. So you might want to make a close inspection for any possible damage and taking whatever action you deem appropriate to ensure a good connection.

Dave
Old 02-26-2021, 12:39 AM   #14
daduke

first: echo test. connect TX and RX w/o kindle attached, type something, see if it comes back.
Also make sure you have a good GND connection. Cost me an hour to debug rooting a vacuum robot...
Old 03-01-2021, 02:24 AM   #15
tinbilly

Many thanks, Dave & daduke, for the advise.

Seems that I do not have a good connection on the inbound side. I tried to weld the cables with the 2 Tx/Rx connections on the kindle, but failed since the serial port was too small and the lead-tin could not stick to the tiny round copper Tx/RX connectors.

Much appreciated any suggestion.

Tags
jailbreak, koa