Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
morty92222
Enthusiast
morty92222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post Is there a way to remove the gap between pages without merging?

I am trying to create a reflowable book in Sigil. Each page is its own separate html page in Sigil to allow for maximum speed while rendering the book in a ebook reader.

I noticed that while displaying the book in Apple Books on iPhone or macOS, there is a gap between every page. All margins and padding are set to 0.

I know if I combine all pages in one html page this problem will go away, however doing so will render the book too "heavy" as I am dealing with 500+ page books.

Please take a look at the attached pictures for more insight. Please note that the language is Arabic, which is read right to left.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.16.02 AM.png
Views:	207
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	185299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	185300  
morty92222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
No, and usually you want to split at chapter heads rather than trying to portion off a page of content. That won’t work well because those breaks are essentially arbitrary when you factor in varying screen sizes and display settings.

Last edited by phillipgessert; 02-08-2021 at 01:50 PM.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is why we normally compromise by splitting into chapter files, small enough to load fast but long enough to give a good block of continuous flow. We don't know where page breaks will come in an eBook. That's what 'reflowable' MEANS.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Any kind of (very) minimal page-loading speed gained by this strategy is likely lost by having to parse a 500+ entry manifest in the opf file. Split the book into chapters (or reasonable chunks if there are no chapter breaks) less than 2Mb and no reader out there is going to struggle with keeping up.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
I am trying to create a reflowable book in Sigil. Each page is its own separate html page in Sigil to allow for maximum speed while rendering the book in a ebook reader.
Each PAGE? I mean....unless this is extraordinarily graphics-heavy, there's no reason for this. Not remotely. We do books that are huge--certainly upwards of 500 pages--and we've never done this.

Quote:
I noticed that while displaying the book in Apple Books on iPhone or macOS, there is a gap between every page. All margins and padding are set to 0.
Yup, because they are separate HTML files, which render in different "sizes" on different screens on different devices for different readers. Not print pages.

Quote:
I know if I combine all pages in one html page this problem will go away, however doing so will render the book too "heavy" as I am dealing with 500+ page books.
Honestly, page count is fairly irrelevant. Word count and kb matter, not pages.

Quote:
Please take a look at the attached pictures for more insight. Please note that the language is Arabic, which is read right to left.

Thank you!
That doesn't really matter (R2L), inasmuch as the actual size, in kilobytes, of the sections.

Commercial/professional bookmakers break at chapters, typically. Does your book not have chapters?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Split the book into chapters (or reasonable chunks if there are no chapter breaks) less than 2Mb and no reader out there is going to struggle with keeping up.
I have only one book longer than 2MB, and most run about 500KB. Does that mean I'd be as well off if I used only a single html file?

I suppose that splitting off chapters etc makes the TOC work easier.... Is there any other advantage?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Older readers had a 210kb or so limit. Splitting it into chapters is the best approach for both readers and editors from a speed point. Imagine from a reader or editor perspective having to grok an entire book just to show a single reflowable page of text!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, reflowable, sigil