Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Bookeen is now advertising Plastic Logic displays as their "4th generation" offering: http://bookeen.com/Design/ebook-reading-devices.aspx

They quote the "in production in 2008" claim, but I dont' think anyone would be taking that seriously at this point.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I agree that it perhaps shouldn't be taken too seriously, but the two together do put an interesting angle on the matter. Thanks, neko.

As for the build time, yvanleterrible, that may not be as long as we'd assume -- I think they use a variant of inkjet printing tech to put this stuff together (I'm pretty sure that's so for e-ink, anyway), so they may not need as elaborate a facility as electronics manufacturers usually need.

I'm just playing with the pieces to see how they fit together, so salt to taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #18
GodDamN
GodDamN began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
They are also saying that because it is "printed" on a plastic substrate that the heat/vacuum requirement of making traditional displays is also removed - That has got to save time and money???
GodDamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #19
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I reckon these will be on the shelves in 2008, £100m is a large sum and the players are serious players (also the initial VC has a very good track record (Acorm & ARM)) I bumped into a guy from the initial VC for this outfit at an airport in December. I had my Iliad with me and we got into discussion about eReaders generally. This is not only interesting technology - but should be much cheaper to produce - and thus will hit a price point for mass adoption (if the marketing guys dont go crazy). My gut is that this is one to watch ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... with 'bated breath. Stand or fall, it ought to at least be interesting.
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
10mil is a lot to put on printing machinery! If it's not for immobilizations, I hope a big chunk of it is for marketing. So many outfits failed because of lack of funding in that department!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
That's a groundbreaking news. The device looks great: flexible, A4, e-ink reader.

But what are these people reading ? A Google Books version of The Metamorphosis with ugly scan lines everywhere ? At least this means that the reader will handle PDF files I guess (A4, and good looking A4).
I'm going to assume that someone simply placed a xeroxed page of print behind a clear acetate, as a mockup of the finished product. (They seem to be holding the unprotected electronics of the device in their left hand... I doubt that's supposed to be the final form of their device.)

Maybe they should talk to Yvan about a case...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #23
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I'm going to assume that someone simply placed a xeroxed page of print behind a clear acetate, as a mockup of the finished product. (They seem to be holding the unprotected electronics of the device in their left hand... I doubt that's supposed to be the final form of their device.)

Maybe they should talk to Yvan about a case...
The case is lacking but I don't think that this is a mock-up, it's just the screen with basic electronic components, and no case or design at all.

The Xerox page behind a clear acetate would be a bad PR move ^^
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, but showing such a badly-scanned page isn't much better of a PR move...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
10mil is a lot to put on printing machinery!
em, $100 mil, yvanleterrible.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe those vertical streaks aren't from a bad scan. Maybe they're artifacts of the media prototype.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

It kinda looks that way to me too, neko, but it's tough to be sure, even in the hi-rez pic.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #28
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
But in a concept picture, or prototype picture, you would expect it to be cleaned up, wouldn't you? Unless you were trying to indicate the expected future imperfections, in which case the real product might have even worse imperfections in the dispay. Because they were vertical I thought they might just be part of the flexible design quality. Does it roll up and down also, or just side to side?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm thinking they may have avoided cleaning it up so that it wouldn't look photoshopped.

As for rolling, I think that one would only roll side to side, since it looks like the 'tronix on the left edge would keep it from rolling top to bottom. But you might be onto something with the idea that the rolling might be contributing to the, um display artifacts ....
Old 01-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I'm not all that surprised if the current generation of flexible displays has artifacts. What surprises me is that they went out of their way to include high-definition pictures so we could SEE the artifacts....