Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Samhain Publishing is winding down and will close

I'm not sure where this post should go so mods please feel free to move it. Samhain Publishing has announced it is winding down its operations and will be closing.

Apparently they will be having a 40% off sale on Monday.

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/2016/02/samhain-closing/

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-27-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not a publisher I'm familiar with. What type of book do (did?) they publish?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Romance and horror.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Romance and horror.
Thank you. That explains why I wouldn't have come across them. Neither genre is my cup of tea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:58 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thank you. That explains why I wouldn't have come across them. Neither genre is my cup of tea.
Same here.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It's a pity not only by losing an independent publisher but because their books were some of the few independent published ones which reached the libraries.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I buy a lot from Samhain and I for one am gutted they are closing. I've been reading ebooks since 2010 and this is the 7th publisher I've bought from direct that's closed.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Disintermediation and competition from Indies doesn't impact just the bad guys.
I worry about BAEN. Hopefully they can endure.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Baen is a major SF publisher. Although they are independent of Simon & Schuster, they've had a print distribution arrangement with them since their founding, and Tom Doherty (of Tor) is a part-owner. They survived the death of their founder. I don't think they have the deep pockets of the big 5 publishing houses, but they are probably the strongest niche player in their genres, and if they falter, I would be surprised if one of the big 5 didn't buy them for the brand.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Not really the same kind of publisher. Samhain is a digital first publisher (one of the more successful) while Baen is a traditional publisher with ties to the Big 5 for distribution. Samhain lost a fair chunk of their bigger authors to both self publishing (Self-pubbed Romance is probably the most successful self-pub genre) and "moving up" to big NY publishers and while some of those authors still work with Samhain on a lower volume basis just as many took the series they had established with Samhain and moved later books to self-pubbed or are exclusively Big 5 except for their backlists.

They also run a pretty crazy publication schedule with dozens of titles a month. This was fine during the "boom" of eBooks and readers, but was way too many titles per month as the market changed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'm not comparing BAEN to Samhain but I do think that most smaller publishers of romance and SF will be at ever increasing risk moving forward because readers in both those genres are heavily into ebooks and Indies are taking an ever-increasing share of the market. BAEN has a strong brand name and lots of customer loyalty but the long term trends in those genres are not tradpub-friendly.

(Did you hear about Larry Coreia's... vent... over his books getting 1-star reviews for their pricing? BAEN's ebook prices are far from obscene but they *are* taking flack in that area. That is new for them.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I buy a lot from Samhain and I for one am gutted they are closing. I've been reading ebooks since 2010 and this is the 7th publisher I've bought from direct that's closed.
Me too, I am really sad.

And indies are not a replacement for me when I have to give up those publishers. I am heavy into ebooks, its the only format I read. Indies don't publish the stuff those romance publishers do. I don't want to read yet another version of 50 shades, or another step brother or billionaire romance, which seems to be the majority of what self publishers put out in romance. Or serials, which I can't stand.

These publishers provide a basic quality item with often great fresh stories. And I can be sure that a romance will be an actual romance, not another genre stuffed into the romance category. That is a trust issue.

Samhain also has a nice back list of some nice older historicals.

So yeah, its a loss to readers.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Me too, I am really sad.

And indies are not a replacement for me when I have to give up those publishers. I am heavy into ebooks, its the only format I read. Indies don't publish the stuff those romance publishers do. I don't want to read yet another version of 50 shades, or another step brother or billionaire romance, which seems to be the majority of what self publishers put out in romance. Or serials, which I can't stand.

These publishers provide a basic quality item with often great fresh stories. And I can be sure that a romance will be an actual romance, not another genre stuffed into the romance category. That is a trust issue.

Samhain also has a nice back list of some nice older historicals.

So yeah, its a loss to readers.
Cleaning out my kindle today I found a billionaire stepbrother.
Good luck finding books now.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
(Did you hear about Larry Coreia's... vent... over his books getting 1-star reviews for their pricing? BAEN's ebook prices are far from obscene but they *are* taking flack in that area. That is new for them.)
I noticed they still price their titles generally between $6.99 - $9.99. That's a difficult price point.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #15
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Frank Tuttle (fantasy) was with them. His Markhat series ROCKS. It's sort of urban fantasy, sort of fantasy with the occasional touch of steampunk. But really his stuff is character and plot driven so those details are just worldbuilding/setting. One of my favorite series.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote