Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
abermp
abermp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
From E-Book Reader to Calibre

I've had it with e-Book Reader. I am using an 8 GB card with my PRS-700 and have almost 1500 books or documents on it. The e-Book Reader can't handle it...love the PRS-700, hate the software. It rarely syncs; most often just freezes up -- its a crap shoot. So, I switched over to Calibre and was immediately able to download some new books. First impressions are positive. Now my question is, will Calibre allow me to manage my books by collection? I haven't found that feature yet. And, will it synchronize -- automatically saving changes to both the PRS and Calibre? Thanks.
abermp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by abermp View Post
Now my question is, will Calibre allow me to manage my books by collection? I haven't found that feature yet. And, will it synchronize -- automatically saving changes to both the PRS and Calibre? Thanks.
Yes, it will create collections based on Tags and Series information that you apply to the books.

It doesn't really sync the way you say, no. You have to proactivly add/remove books. However it will "Sync" news feeds if you use calibre for this. It isn't truly sync, calibre never removes files from your reader. But, you can set it to add new news to your reader when you connect it, then have it delete those articles from the calibre database.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, it will create collections based on Tags and Series information that you apply to the books.

It doesn't really sync the way you say, no. You have to proactivly add/remove books. However it will "Sync" news feeds if you use calibre for this. It isn't truly sync, calibre never removes files from your reader. But, you can set it to add new news to your reader when you connect it, then have it delete those articles from the calibre database.

BOb
i could be wrong but there is the option to delete news older than XX days ; does this apply only to the db, or to the internal memory as well ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i could be wrong but there is the option to delete news older than XX days ; does this apply only to the db, or to the internal memory as well ?
Where is that setting? All I see is: "Delete news from the library when it is sent to the reader."

Unless it was added since .139 which is what I have right now. But, I don't see it in the change logs.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's in the fetch news dialog at the bottom
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's in the fetch news dialog at the bottom
So, does it delete from the Sony? Or just from the library. I didn't see anything in the help about it.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just from the library, not the device
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
just from the library, not the device
OK, that's what I thought.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks kovid for clearing that up. i wasn't sure (i don't use that feature).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote