Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I do like the sexy lamp test!

I think the book is one to read for the excitement of the big set pieces - the château set on fire, which I thought was a ripper, and of course the events towards the end in Nîmes.

While it isn't great literature by any means, I think Weyman wrote well and he was clearly immersed in the history of France. (From memory, all his books are set in France, many in the times before the Revolution.)

It was a romantic view of time and place, rather than a grand romance in the "boy meets girl" sense.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I do like the sexy lamp test!

I think the book is one to read for the excitement of the big set pieces - the château set on fire, which I thought was a ripper, and of course the events towards the end in Nîmes.

While it isn't great literature by any means, I think Weyman wrote well and he was clearly immersed in the history of France. (From memory, all his books are set in France, many in the times before the Revolution.)

It was a romantic view of time and place, rather than a grand romance in the "boy meets girl" sense.
My feeling is that Revolutionary France itself is almost as much a character in the book as those who people its world.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
My feeling is that Revolutionary France itself is almost as much a character in the book as those who people its world.
Very much so. As for much historical fiction.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote