Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
You don't need a PC, a phone or a tablet will do.
But you do need another device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
When a book is downloaded or sideloaded onto a Kindle, the Kindle has to index the book to make it searchable for words and phrases. That takes time and battery life. If you load your entire large library on it all at once you can quickly and repeatedly drain the battery while it does it. People not understanding this process will leave very negative reviews because they think the battery life is on par or worse than a smart phone.

The rest of us that know better just plug the Kindle in and let it go overnight. When it is done indexing the battery life is fine especially if you keep wifi off and the frontlight at a low setting.

There are many criticisms I could make about Kindle, but battery life is not a valid one.
If you load too many eBooks at one go on a Kindle and one of them is not properly indexing, you'll have a real problem. Most would not know that stuck indexing would be a problem as to why the battery is draining too fast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #33
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^

I own two Kobo ebook readers, and I'm OK with them. (I also own Kindles, too.) I have a question that you may be able to answer. I've never accidentally bought an ebook from Kobo or did any price-matching, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Kobo doesn't give back cash credit to one's account, but rather gives credit to one's account for additional purchases. Is that correct?

Please correct me if I am in error.

Thanks.
I've done the price-matching multiple times, and it comes through very quickly, but it is in the form of store credit, not a refund. It certainly helps to have another book in mind that you want to buy, so you don't feel like you wasted money, but there will always be another book, so I don't worry about it too much.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
I've done the price-matching multiple times, and it comes through very quickly, but it is in the form of store credit, not a refund. It certainly helps to have another book in mind that you want to buy, so you don't feel like you wasted money, but there will always be another book, so I don't worry about it too much.
Exactly. I have used it twice this week, not buying the books from Kobo until after I had established that the same ISBN was cheaper elsewhere (in both cases Google Play Books this time). Both claims were processed within one business day, one allowed me to save nearly 20% of the VIP price of my target book, and the subsequent Price Match credit on that book then let me pick up a book I was mildly interested in without having to spend either money or points.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying options, kindle, kobo, libra, oasis