Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #91
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: none
@DaltonST, sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I went off-line for a couple of days. I also run Windows 7 64-bit, and installed the latest version of Calibre (the portable one). I'll check whether the updated plugin works for me.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 AM   #92
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

@DaltonST, everything seems to work just fine, including restarting Calibre and switching between libraries.

The enhanced menu with all "Protect/unprotect" options being directly available works perfectly, too. Thank you!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #93
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New GUI Tool: Ignore Copy-to-Library Missing Custom Columns Messages

Version 1.0.46 -2016-06-01 New GUI Tool: Ignore Copy-to-Library Missing Custom Columns Messages for Selected From/To Library Combinations

See the attached example image that explains how this works.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_ignore_copy_to_library_custom_column_messages_example.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	149101  
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #94
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.0.47 -2016-06-13 New GUI Tool: Change GUI Text and Alternating Row Colors

Version 1.0.47 -2016-06-13 New GUI Tool: Change GUI Text and Alternating Row Colors

See the attached image.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	js_change_gui_text_and_alternating_row_colors_example.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	149383  
Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #95
petzi
Connoisseur
petzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavenspetzi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 7 Tablet, iPad mini 4, iPhone XS
for your work on this extremely useful plugin! I love especially to work with "Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns" when editing metadata, as it creates a cleaner and more workable interface.

I have not used and examined everything of this huge toolbox, but nonetheless I would like to come up with two suggestions for further improvement:
  • In "Visualising Metadata" it would be nice to have the possibility to exclude some tags. Often the graph does not visualise the more interesting tags as the biggest part is taken by some very general metatags like e.g. fiction/nonfiction. When excluding tags one could fine-tune the graphic and use it as a visual tool for analysing metadata. Said this then also the reverse option (drawing the graph with just some tags which are manually selected) would also make sense.
  • In "Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns…" is would nice to have the ordering of the ID done correctly. At the moment it starts with 1 and continues with 11, 2-9 coming at the end of the list.
petzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #96
DaltonST
Deviser

Visualize Metadata: Export Raw Data Option

Quote:
In "Visualising Metadata" it would be nice to have the possibility to exclude some tags. Often the graph does not visualise the more interesting tags as the biggest part is taken by some very general metatags like e.g. fiction/nonfiction. When excluding tags one could fine-tune the graphic and use it as a visual tool for analysing metadata. Said this then also the reverse option (drawing the graph with just some tags which are manually selected) would also make sense.
Yes it would, which is why I added the "Export Raw Data" button. It exports all of the raw data used to build the pie chart to a .csv file. By opening that .csv file with a spreadsheet application, the data can be sliced and diced and graphed as desired.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #97
DaltonST
Deviser

Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns

Quote:
In "Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns…" is would nice to have the ordering of the ID done correctly. At the moment it starts with 1 and continues with 11, 2-9 coming at the end of the list.
The "id" is the internal integer number assigned by Calibre for use in referring to its Custom Column tables. For example, a Custom Column with an id of 14 will have a table of custom_column_14, and depending on its datatype, it might also have a table called books_custom_column_14_link.

I included the "id" as pointer back to table custom_columns in metadata.db. That really means that JS+ converts that "id" from a string into an integer to use to update table custom_columns per the JS+ settings. It is also useful in comparing the JS+ window to that same table using a SQLite browser such as DB Browser for SQLite at http://sqlitebrowser.org/ .

The list is sorted alphabetically, which is much more user friendly.

See the attached.

If all of your Custom Columns begin with "#zotero_", it is less obvious, of course.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	js_table_custom_column_sort_example.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	150579  
Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #98
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
WTH?

I edited the plug-in to protect certain shelves, namely the date added, date read, and a bunch of others.

I decided that I needed to upload some titles to GR. My settings have a sync that only syncs the specified GR columns, however I noticed that the sync changed my date added to Jan 01, 0101 when the date added shouldn't be effected at all. That particular date shows up when I import blank info into that column---like when I download the GR CSV and update the "date added' when there is no date...Fortunately I have access to the original dates.

I went back to confirm that that shelf was protected, it was. I proceeded to "unprotect" all the shelves so I could edit that date added, but now they won't allow me access regardless of what the plug-in specifies.

I cannot access ANY of the shelves that have at one time been protected.

I purged the library specific data, the JSON, and eventually removed the plug-in all together, but I still can't access those shelves. I restarted Calibre each time, I confirmed that I removed the plug-in, but still when I go to edit the metadata I can't access a lot of columns.

So....why did the date added column change when it was protected, and why can't I now access it and a bunch of other shelves now that the plug in has been removed.

At this moment I cannot do anything with my library...just sitting here with nothing to do about it until I get access to those shelves....

Also note, this happened today AFTER I reinstated the protect columns option. That option also would not update to my current calibre view settings, the old ones that I have long since changed were the only ones to show up. I entered the data for the new view that I was using. This was the view that was effected, but all the other views still won't show up those columns.

Update: I don't know how the JSON came back, but I found it in the plug-in folder, I just deleted and restarted Calibre and now its fine. Sorry to bug...

second update: I spoke too soon. I assumed that Calibre would be fine after deleting the JSON, but I still can't access those shelves...

Last edited by Rellwood; 08-01-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Found solution
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #99
DaltonST
Deviser

@Rellwood:

As the ToolTips say, it only protects manual editing using Edit Metadata. It does not protect anything else, including Search and Replace and Standard Calibre manipulations.

The ToolTips also mention that other plug-ins may need those custom columns unprotected. Ignore the ToolTips at your peril.

Purging the .json, uninstalling JS, etc. does nothing. Waste of time. The metadata.db table that is updated to reflect the 'editable' value (0 or 1) is table custom_columns.

Use JS to un-protect what you previously protected.

Or, if you want to use http://sqlitebrowser.org/ to manually edit table custom_columns in metadata.db, be sure to make a back up of metadata.db first.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	js_protect_warning.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	150635  
Old 08-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #100
DaltonST
Deviser

Also, your "bug" report shows that you do not even have JS installed. How can a bug report about a plugin not show that you are using that plugin? However, it does show that you have plugins that do not even work installed. Worse, you personally caused your issues, not JS. Pilot error. Do not blame the airplane.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #101
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I am not surprised this is pilot error. I tend to get the plug ins and see how they work then either keep them or remove them. I am sure I have a ton of them that are never used. I never considered that they would play into the problem. My bad....I knew I removed the json and the plugin so when I was still having the same problems I assumed (yes I know) was from JS. So I knew it wasn't listed in the error reports. Which was why I attached it. Kind of like saying "Hey, I don't have the plug in anymore, but the problems still exist"...Sigh..

I also am going to go through an remove unused plug ins.

I was able to come up with a "fix"..I copied a similar library that wasn't having the same problems and copied all my files to it. It was the only thing I could think of. I suppose I should stick to the plug ins I have more experience with.

Sorry to waste your time, thanks regardless.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #102
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Hello Dalton.

In the "Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns", would it be possible to add an option to merge hidden metadata?

As I would like to hide some of my columns which I don't want to accidentally edit, but I would still like to add metadata to them if I merge 2 books?

Thanks
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #103
DaltonST
Deviser

Creating Virtual Tabs via "Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Hello Dalton.

In the "Protect/Unprotect Custom Columns", would it be possible to add an option to merge hidden metadata?

As I would like to hide some of my columns which I don't want to accidentally edit, but I would still like to add metadata to them if I merge 2 books?

Thanks
@Tanjamuse:

That particular JS GUI Tool just tweaks a table that tells standard Calibre to create or not create input widgets in the Edit Metadata dialogs for Custom Columns. Calibre loads that table into memory at startup only. That is why you must restart Calibre after tweaking that table using that particular JS GUI Tool. It is also one reason that you must restart Calibre after creating or changing any Custom Columns.

The best way to do what you want is to create a "Virtual Tab" within that JS GUI Tool called something like "Merge Books", and set all appropriate Custom Columns to "enabled/not hidden/editable". Then, whenever you are going to merge books, temporarily activate that Virtual Tab so all of your Custom Columns are displayed and editable. Merge your books. Then, using that GUI Tool reset the active Virtual Tab to what you were usually previously. Don't forget to restart Calibre after clicking the JS button "Update 'Editable' Per Current Settings".

See the attached example. Hope that helps.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-01-06 12_19_45-JS+ GUI Tool_ Protect_Unprotect Custom Columns.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	153991  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #104
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I'm not sure I understand.

I was just wondering if you could create a checkmark option where, if it's checked, the metadata merges even though the columns are hidden?

Thanks
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #105
DaltonST
Deviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
I'm not sure I understand.

I was just wondering if you could create a checkmark option where, if it's checked, the metadata merges even though the columns are hidden?

Thanks
@Tanjamuse:

I would have to enhance the standard Calibre Merge Book function to use the referenced Job Spy GUI Tool's configuration data. Since Calibre's Merge Book function is standard Calibre (i.e. belongs to and is maintained and controlled by Kovid), I could not possibly do that. Sorry. So, as a workaround, please refer to my previous post for a methodology that obviates the need to change standard Calibre in order to achieve the end result that you are seeking.

DaltonST

Tags
author aka, author pen name, colors, toolbag, toolbox, tools