Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #91
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Costco Black Friday --- ad scan | ad listing --- BF 2019

================================================== ==========

News Briefs================================================== ==========

Doorbusters
  • doorbusters drop at specific dates & times -- so plan ahead

Computers
  • SALE -- Dell | LG --- 26 Nov
  • SALE -- HP | Lenovo --- 30 Nov
  • SALE -- Dell | Lenovo | MSI --- 27~30 Nov

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-16-2020 at 10:02 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #92
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, regarding mp3 players, that doesn't surprise me much, that $40 Moto E 2020 looks like it'd make a fine mp3 player with the addition of 3rd party software like poweramp or foobar2000 or...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #93
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I mean, regarding mp3 players, that doesn't surprise me much, that $40 Moto E 2020 looks like it'd make a fine mp3 player with the addition of 3rd party software like poweramp or foobar2000 or...
Yeah, dedicated MP3 players are pretty a niche market these days whether it's low end devices like the SanDisk Clips and a myriad of no-name Chinese devices or very high end players like the FiiOs and Astell & Kerns.

Smartphones can do it all for most people, so why pay for extra devices? Still, there are those of us who prefer a dedicated device for music and audiobooks for various reasons. That's where prepaid/no-contract phones come in and there are quite a few out there coming in at less than $50 fully paid. If you want an unlocked version of the same phone, count on adding another $100 or so to the price tag.

My reason for getting a separate media player is because I don't use smartphones. I still use old-school flip phones because they're small enough to fit and survive in the front pocket of my blue jeans; smartphones can't.

While my Sansa Clips work quite well for audiobooks and music I own, they can't play Spotify and that's a must-have feature I need in a music player. Enter the inexpensive prepaid phones. By not activating them, they function exactly the same way a WiFi tablet does; only in a much smaller package. Though in recent years, they keep getting larger and larger as the smartphone market keeps pushing for ever larger displays; much to my chagrin.

It's been a week and a half since I received my new Moto E6 and I'm still very pleased with it. The only downside is its large size, something I don't like. I placed a 128GB mSD card in it and loaded it with audiobooks and lots of Spotify playlists. So it's definitely working out for my needs.

Hopefully, this phone will go on sale again for BF. If not, there'll be other comparable phones that will.

So stay tuned...

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-16-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:23 AM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Target Black Friday --- ad 1 | ad 2 | ad 3 | ad 4 --- BF 2019

News Briefs================================================== ==========

Discounts================================================== ==========

Doorbusters
  • doorbusters drop at specific dates & times -- so plan ahead

Tablets --- 22~28 Nov================================================== ==========

Stream Audio --- 22~28 Nov================================================== ==========

Stream Video --- 22~28 Nov================================================== ==========

Smartphones --- 22~28 Nov================================================== ==========

Computers --- 22~28 Nov================================================== ==========

Accessories --- 22~28 Nov
  • BT Spkrs --- Altec ($20) | Bose ($80) | Sony $150) | JBL ($70)
  • Gift Cards -- Apple GC (buy $100 GC, get free $20 Target GC)

EXPIRED OFFERS
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    • Military & Veterans -- one-time 10% discount --- 03~11 Nov

• $45 -- Echo Show 5 --- 01~07 Nov
    • $19 -- Echo Dot 3 --- 01~07 Nov
    • $80 -- Fire TV Cube --- 01~07 Nov
    • $30 -- Fire TV Stick 4K --- 01~07 Nov
    • $28 -- Fire TV Stick --- 01~07 Nov
    • $18 -- Fire TV Stick Lite --- 01~07 Nov

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-17-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #95
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Meet my $18 iPod touch - Android-style
This phone is on sale again - today only

Up to 50% off Motorola, Samsung, LG, and more (34 phones) -- $20 ~ $997
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Motorola Moto E6 -- I was looking for the following features (blue=yes, red=no)

• Released: fairly new (Aug 2019)
    • Cheap Price: $18.27 (after tax and discount) --> details
    • Android: And 9 or And 8 -- this will NOT be upgraded to And 10
    • Compass: Yes
    • RAM: 2GB or 3GB
    • Storage: 16GB or 32GB
    • mSD card: Yes -- I added a 128GB mSD card
    • LED Flash: Yes
    • FM Radio: Yes
    • Speaker: loud and clear -- BT speaker not needed
    • WiFi: dual band (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
    • Display Size: too large (5.5") -- wanted small (4.0" to 4.7")
    • Phone Size: too large (5.9" x 2.8" x 0.34") -- wanted small (5.0" x 2.5" or smaller)
    • Phone Specs: Motorola | Wikipedia | GSMArena

• Addl Info: post 93
    • Phone Case: Lumarke Moto E6 Case -- $8.80 ea (incl 2 glass screen protectors)

Disclaimer: this phone was purchased to be a WiFi only media player. It will never be activated as a phone. It's much too large for the front pocket of my blue jeans.

Going into this, I knew the Moto E6 was an inexpensive entry level phone with mediocre specs. But, when you're moving up from devices purchased 5 & 6 years ago (Moto E2, LG Volt), the Moto E6 is a stellar device.

With this phone I got every feature I was looking for, except size. This device is too large for my shirt pocket and it's something I'll just have to live with until I find a smaller device to replace it.

Overall, the Moto E6 is quite snappy and the display resolution is almost as good as the Fire Phone (296 ppi vs 315 ppi). I'm really impressed with the sound. At full volume, it's quite loud and not distorted or tinny sounding. I won't be needing a BT speaker for this device.

I'm keeping it and hoping that someone invents a shrinking machine soon
Old 10-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #96
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
This phone is on sale again - today only

Up to 50% off Motorola, Samsung, LG, and more (34 phones) -- $20 ~ $997
I guess I can afford $20 to replace my LG Volt! Thanks Mr Monkey!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I guess I can afford $20 to replace my LG Volt! Thanks Mr Monkey!
YW

In case you're interested, this is the case I got. I'm very pleased with the fit and finish.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #98
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
YW

In case you're interested, this is the case I got. I'm very pleased with the fit and finish.
Sheesh! It costs almost half as much as my new Podcast Player. What the heck...
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Sheesh! It costs almost half as much as my new Podcast Player. What the heck...
I know. When you get very inexpensive devices, sometimes the cases cost as much or even more than the device itself. I considered one very rugged case, but it cost more than the Moto E6. I just couldn't get my brain to wrap around it. So I passed and got this case instead.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #100
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My wife's old AMD A10 PC has been giving her trouble lately, crashing or randomly rebooting. Probably just needs a windows reinstall, or at worst a new power supply, but I took a look at current prices and they're not bad compared to last year. I'm happy with the Dell G5 I got then, and today I navigated Dell's byzantine pricing to a box for $1274 with an i7 10700F processor (on a par with the i9 9900 I got last year), 16GB, RTX 2060 Super GPU, and a 1TB M.2 SSD. It's overkill for her needs but would keep her going for a long time to come, and easily expandable for more memory and a HDD or hybrid drive.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
My wife's old AMD A10 PC has been giving her trouble lately, crashing or randomly rebooting. Probably just needs a windows reinstall, or at worst a new power supply, but I took a look at current prices and they're not bad compared to last year. I'm happy with the Dell G5 I got then, and today I navigated Dell's byzantine pricing to a box for $1274 with an i7 10700F processor (on a par with the i9 9900 I got last year), 16GB, RTX 2060 Super GPU, and a 1TB M.2 SSD. It's overkill for her needs but would keep her going for a long time to come, and easily expandable for more memory and a HDD or hybrid drive.
That's a lot of computer, but it doesn't compare to my Chromebook with 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, and running a dual-core Celeron N3060 clocked at 1.6GHz. I bet you're feeling jealous right about now
Old 10-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #102
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

So, when is Black Friday?

Now that I've answered that question...

Really, when is it?

Well, thanks to the Pandemic, BF this year is royally screwed up. Stores are splitting BF sales up over multiple days and weeks instead of the traditional day after Thanksgiving (or week of in recent years).

Most stores currently have sales going on right now, with some of those sales reflecting BF pricing. But in general, BF pricing will really kick in next week. Keep in mind that many of these items will only be available for BF pricing during that window and when the store starts its next sale, those items most likely will not be in it. Of course, there's always YMMV.

Check out post 3 on the front page. I've listed the stores and the dates for their BF sales. It's a mess, isn't it? Just click on the store link to go to that store's post for details and links.

Enjoy
Old 10-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #103
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
It is, and it's a shame, IMO. I used to enjoy getting the Thanksgiving paper, paging leisurely through the inserts and deciding what I was interested in trying to get. That just doesn't work very well anymore.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #104
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
GOT my new printer today from Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy...?skuId=6421535

So TM you can remove me from the Wish List
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #105
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon -- limited time offer

Amazon Device Deals
Quote:
Welcome to the Amazon Devices Deals page. Come back frequently to see the latest discounts on Fire tablets, Kindle eReaders, Fire TV streaming media players, Amazon Echo, and Dash Button. Plus, find great deals on accessories for your Amazon devices like covers, cases, and remotes. Be sure to visit this page throughout the holidays so you don't miss out on any amazing offers. These deals are limited time offers, while promotional supplies last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abd.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	183117