Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 2 XL, Basic Kindle
Calibre lib on OneDrive using Linux

I've been using Dropbox and Calibre for years so I can have easy 24/7 access to books from anywhere. I have my actual library on my Linux Desktop, and when I modify it, I use rsync to do a one-way sync to my Dropbox folder, deleting anything not in my real folder. This worked great, and was quick and easy, because Dropbox supports Linux.

However, I'm reaching my limit, but have an unused 15GB OneDrive account I'd like to use. I installed rclone using the traditional way of mounting the OneDrive folder locally, but it seems to be very slow to use on my internet connection (250 mb/s down, 10 mb/s up).

This is when trying to use rsync to update. I haven't tried connecting Calibre directly, so it's possible this might be usable, but I don't really want it to be my only library, because I'm afraid I might lose data assuming it does a two-way sync (not sure about that).

I tried using rclone to sync the files after making a change, which seems to work although it's also a bit slow. But it does a one-way sync only, so I think it's safe.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this, and can either confirm my findings, or give me ideas to improve the situation. I'd appreciate any ideas.
Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A search for 'one way mirror with rsync' will show you how to do that. No idea if it would be faster than rclone.

And there's this ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software - Wikipedia

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA
Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tech Guy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A search for 'one way mirror with rsync' will show you how to do that. No idea if it would be faster than rclone.
BR
Well, I wish I could use rsync, which is what I was doing with Dropbox, as I mentioned. I was able to use rsync with the local copy of Dropbox files, because Dropbox has a full copy that can be used even if not connected, using their Linux app.

OneDrive has no Linux app, hence rclone, which works with a lot of cloud storage providers. But they don't have an offline mode, and it's extremely slow to try to use rsync with their mounted copy.

Also, rsync doesn't work directly with any cloud drives I've used. You usually need ssh access for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yes, I've heard of Wikipedia, and I think I may have used Google once or twice, so I'm pretty aware of all the possibilities, and have chosen the ones that seem best for me. But thanks for assuming I'm dumb rather than reading my post.

To anyone who may have landed here trying to do the same thing, I suggest being careful if you try the Linux fork of OneDrive. I tried it first, and had errors, so I tried rclone next. Unfortunately, I didn't uninstall the OneDrive app, and it was sitting there erasing all my remote files while I was trying to test rclone. I finally figured that out and removed the app. I was then able to use rclone to resync the files to my remote OneDrive, using one simple command (rclone sync).

Then, I tried a free trial of a non-free program called inSync - I think it costs $29 after the two week trial. It creates a duplicate folder that is like Dropbox, and has no speed issues at all. I'm able to run Calibre on my Linux system, and on a windows 10 system on VirtualBox. Also, Calibre Companion works perfectly on my Android phone (it supports OneDrive directly).

The free rclone is still a very useful tool. At one point, I was unable to open the Windows Calibre using its copy of OneDrive, so I was able to use the rclone sync command to make it work again. Only took a minute or two.

Feel free to ask for more info if you want to try this.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you can do is log into Onedrive using your browser. Then drag the directory you want to copy to Onedrive to the Onedrive page in your browser ad wait for the files to be uploaded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
Tech Guy
Leftcoast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you can do is log into Onedrive using your browser. Then drag the directory you want to copy to Onedrive to the Onedrive page in your browser ad wait for the files to be uploaded.
How convenient. So, to sync my drive, all I need to do is determine all files that have changed on one or both drives, select them individually and drag them to the browser.

I think perhaps you are missing the point of syncing drives.