Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Dora Apel
Dora Apel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Stop calibre converting Word documents

I'm new to Calibre and not sure if this is the right forum but here are my questions: Calibre is converting the Word documents on my Desktop to books. How do I stop that from happening? How do I convert them back to Word documents?
Dora Apel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Apel View Post
I'm new to Calibre and not sure if this is the right forum but here are my questions: Calibre is converting the Word documents on my Desktop to books. How do I stop that from happening? How do I convert them back to Word documents?
Do you mean the Icon for DOC or DOCx changed?

That is just the Icon. You can use the OS to change the Icon for those to something else
(somewhere along the way, you answered a question to use Calibre as the default)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Apel View Post
Perhaps because you told it to convert them when adding, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-15 072756.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	182729

The Preferred output format is set in Preferences->Behaviour

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-15 073226.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	182730

How did you do the add?
  • If it was not via the Autoadd feature the DOCX files should be where they were.
  • If it was via the Autoadd feature, the DOCX would have been deleted from the designated Autoadd folder.
But as new user, surely you kept a copy elsewhere, e.g. in your Documents or Downloads folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

And I moved your issue to its own thread, the other thread's issues were not related to yours.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Dora Apel

It's just the Icons that have changed and I can choose to open them with Word, but how do I use the OS to change them back to Word icons?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Dora Apel

Here's another question: If I uninstall Calibre, will I lose the docs that have the library icons?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Dora, what version of Windows computer are you using? Windows 10? 8? XP?

You simply need to change the file association for Word files. The files aren't being converted, the computer just thinks those files belong to Calibre. When you installed Calibre, you clicked OK at some point when you shouldn't have.

Look here for instructions on all Windows versions:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-chan...indows-2624477
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
Dora Apel

Yes, I changed the file association for Word files--thank you!