Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Battery at rest....

Okay, I took my new PW4 and charged it to 100%. The green light came on at 97%. I unplugged the Kindle at 100%, turned on Airplane Mode, and closed the cover. I set the alarm for eight hours. When the alarm went off I checked. It was 99%. I turned off Airplane Mode and closed the cover. I set the alarm for eight hours. I wasn't home when the alarm went off and didn't check till two hours later. Ten hours without Airplane Mode and the battery read 99%.

I use two Kindles and alternate them. If I turn on Airplane Mode on the Kindle at rest the syncing gets screwed up and simply telling the Kindle to sync when I turn it on doesn't help. So, I'm just leaving Airplane Mode off unless I get on an airplane. I wonder what happens if someone has a Kindle in the luggage or carryon in the overhead compartment?

Paranoia terrifies me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Nothing happens. Most airlines now allow WiFi throughout the entire flight and even continue streaming in-flight entertainment until the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #3
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Beware that those 'battery level' readings should be taken with a whole lot of salt.
All that your experiment shows is that the battery doesn't drain instantly in either mode.

I believe that when not in 'Airplane Mode' the Kindle makes irregular 'phone home' pings to the mother ship, but if there's no new firmware update or any new books to download it doesn't really do much, and shouldn't consume much more power than with WiFi switched off. (It really makes a difference if you're leaving it for weeks, and add new books and progress updates on other Kindles, though.)
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote