Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Multiple Series info for books

It seems that long series have been blending together and now books that should have only one series and series index are holding two or three.

How can I enter this in Calibre.

I know that I can enter a second title, but there are no second series.

Plus I don't really want a whole bunch of extra columns for only a handful of books, but I am having trouble entering my Goodreads library export.csv file when there are multiple series being listed in about 50 of my books.

Charming (Seven, #6.5; Mageriverse #13)

Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter #18; Were-Hunter #4; Hellchaser #2)

Razr (Demonica Underworld #4; Demonica #15; 1001 Dark Nights #56)
Rellwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think there is any tidy answers other than adding some Custom columns of type Series. This seems to be the approach that most people take but you indicate that you do not want to do this?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
It seems that long series have been blending together and now books that should have only one series and series index are holding two or three.

How can I enter this in Calibre.

I know that I can enter a second title, but there are no second series.

Plus I don't really want a whole bunch of extra columns for only a handful of books, but I am having trouble entering my Goodreads library export.csv file when there are multiple series being listed in about 50 of my books.

Charming (Seven, #6.5; Mageriverse #13)

Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter #18; Were-Hunter #4; Hellchaser #2)

Razr (Demonica Underworld #4; Demonica #15; 1001 Dark Nights #56)

If you've been around as long as your date says, you should have seen and read the bazillion threads this subject has had. Short answer, you can't. Various people go about solving it in different ways. Most seem to add a secondary custom column but considering you've got some with up to 4, I can see why you don't want to add that many.

How do you use tags? I don't use tags for series in Calibre but I do for blogging. Have the main series BE the series and then add additional series as tags.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I still contend that my method is the best: Bang head against desk, repeatedly. Curse the book's author for putting you in this metadata hell. Be vigorous with your curses (think like a pirate). Then, when you've settled down, a good cry followed by a few shots of whisky. Seems to work every time.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I still contend that my method is the best: Bang head against desk, repeatedly. Curse the book's author for putting you in this metadata hell. Be vigorous with your curses (think like a pirate). Then, when you've settled down, a good cry followed by a few shots of whisky. Seems to work every time.
Which variety of whisky do you recommend? Single malt? Rye? Cheapest stuff your local supplier has in a large bottle?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Which variety of whisky do you recommend? Single malt? Rye? Cheapest stuff your local supplier has in a large bottle?
There are definitely two schools of thought: If your sole purpose is to drown your sorrow (and the pain induced from banging your head against your desk), then cheap rotgut in a large bottle is definitely the way to go. The downside to this approach is that come the next day, you most definitely won't feel up to the challenge of doing anything on a computer, let alone reading an eBook or trying to catalog and update metadata.

A nice single malt (I'm partial to Highland Park's 12-year, myself) may not numb the pain quite as well, but it is a much more enjoyable experience. Of course the downside is that if you keep having to plow through single malts, then you likely won't be able to afford that new Kindle Oasis 3.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just create additional books and make note in title so it's not seen as a duplicate. For instance, retitle as follows:

Bad Moon Rising (Mult)
Bad Moon Rising (Mult)
Bad Moon Rising (Mult)

When you sort alphabetically, then you know that the book falls into multiple series so you don't accidentally delete as a duplicate. Use whatever code you will remember. I tried just one letter and then a year later, would forget what the heck that stood for. Short memory!

Last edited by Tarana; 07-09-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
By all means, Cursing should be done with the vilest rot gut to give even more power to the curse,

OTOH
Celebrations should be done with the finest Single Malt
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
If you've been around as long as your date says, you should have seen and read the bazillion threads this subject has had. Short answer, you can't. Various people go about solving it in different ways. Most seem to add a secondary custom column but considering you've got some with up to 4, I can see why you don't want to add that many.

How do you use tags? I don't use tags for series in Calibre but I do for blogging. Have the main series BE the series and then add additional series as tags.
I truly haven't seen the previous questions regarding this. I didn't look. I probably should have, but I was in the middle of working on my library when this came up and just shot over to add the question.

That is a great suggestion regarding the tags! I will try that.
And, yes, there are some series that want to add four books. I already have way too many columns. Regardless, how would I go about adding a series index in a custom column? Is that even possible?

That is a great suggestion regarding the tags. I will try it.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Lol....So it isn't just me?

How about when an author decides to change the name and numerical order of their series later? I am looking at you Sherrilyn Kenyon...Dark-Hunters, Hunter-verse.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Lol....So it isn't just me?

How about when an author decides to change the name and numerical order of their series later? I am looking at you Sherrilyn Kenyon...Dark-Hunters, Hunter-verse.
You could always stick with original publication dates. That's what I did with Pern (Anne McCaffrey).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Just create additional books and make note in title so it's not seen as a duplicate. For instance, retitle as follows:

Bad Moon Rising (Mult)
Bad Moon Rising (Mult)
Bad Moon Rising (Mult)

When you sort alphabetically, then you know that the book falls into multiple series so you don't accidentally delete as a duplicate. Use whatever code you will remember. I tried just one letter and then a year later, would forget what the heck that stood for. Short memory!
I could do this, but then I would be responsible for updating the info for that book until the end of time...
It's bad enough I have put a lot of my dead books in Calibre.
However, the allure of nicely descending series columns make it worth considering.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
Rellwood

@MSWallak,

I wish I could drink and Calibre.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
And, yes, there are some series that want to add four books. I already have way too many columns. Regardless, how would I go about adding a series index in a custom column? Is that even possible?
There is a custom column type: series -> It creates the name and the index. I have two additional columns and a combined search over the standard series column and my two custom columns, so in that search I can see all the books in a series even if the series is not the main one in the book
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
I truly haven't seen the previous questions regarding this. I didn't look. I probably should have, but I was in the middle of working on my library when this came up and just shot over to add the question.

That is a great suggestion regarding the tags. I will try it.

Let us all know how you solve your issue. It's always good to get first hand feedback
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote