Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Is there no e-reader smaller than the paperwhite?

One thing I really like with e-readers is the ability to bring it everywhere.

I have had a couple of Kindles, from the 3G Kindle, via Paperwhite and Oasis (first-gen). When I cracked the screen of the Oasis I deliberately did not get the 'new Oasis' as I find it too big, but instead the latest Paperwhite, which is still larger than the Oasis-1.

While I wouldn't mind a larger device for reading at home, I would also really like a small device for reading on the hoof. The Kobo Mini filled this niche, but it's been discontinued for quite a while.

Is there anything else that fits this use-case?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Google is your friend: https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/ere...omparison.html
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
While I wouldn't mind a larger device for reading at home, I would also really like a small device for reading on the hoof. The Kobo Mini filled this niche, but it's been discontinued for quite a while.

There are no current 5" ereaders like the Kobo mini. There is at least one Android mobile phone that has two screens, one of them an E-Ink screen. But you lose the long battery life benefit, of course.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I use my Cell phone when away from home.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I also use my cell phone away from home for reading. Recently I began experimenting with reading with it even at home. I think I'm on the 7th book read entirely on my cell phone.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
5 inch devices can still be bought on ebay, if you're prepared to take the risk.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
A jacket with bigger pockets. I can fit an 8" tablet - complete with cover - in my internal pocket. Kobo Mini almost gets lost in that pocket.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Maybe not screen size but maybe overall dimensions. My Onyx Poke is much smaller and lighter then my PW2.

Edit. Dunno why my message text is so small all of a sudden.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I love the comparison table, but unless I'm blind (likely), that particular table talks about weight and resolution, but not about physical size. I did some quick google for sizes of a couple 6" and 5" ones. I know 5" ones (new) aren't available, but pretty sure one can still find them on resale sites.

Sorry for the poor formatting, but that's in millimeters, length/width/depth, weight in grams, and then resolution. Looks like 6" ones are comparable. but if you want the smallest, and don't mind a 5" screen vs. 6"; maybe try to find a Kobo Mini on the 2nd hand market.

kobo clara hd 159.6x110x8.3 166 1072x1448
Paperwhite 4 167x116x8.2 182 1072x1448
PocketBook Touch HD 3 161.3x108x8 155 1072x1448

5" screens, no longer made
Kobo Mini 133x102x10 134 600x800
Sony PRS-350 145x104.4x8.3 155 600x800

Personally, I can fit the Clara HD in a pocket just fine. The paperwhite 4 dimensions don't appear to be that much bigger... but if your pocket(s) are just that tiny bit too snug by 6 mm, then maybe you would want a kobo clara hd.

Last edited by slkissinger; 06-27-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Changed weight on Clara hd
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
I love the comparison table, but unless I'm blind (likely), that particular table talks about weight and resolution, but not about physical size. I did some quick google for sizes of a couple 6" and 5" ones. I know 5" ones (new) aren't available, but pretty sure one can still find them on resale sites.

Sorry for the poor formatting, but that's in millimeters, length/width/depth, weight in grams, and then resolution. Looks like 6" ones are comparable. but if you want the smallest, and don't mind a 5" screen vs. 6"; maybe try to find a Kobo Mini on the 2nd hand market.

kobo clara hd 159.6x110x8.3 204 1072x1448
Paperwhite 4 167x116x8.2 182 1072x1448
PocketBook Touch HD 3 161.3x108x8 155 1072x1448

5" screens, no longer made
Kobo Mini 133x102x10 134 600x800
Sony PRS-350 145x104.4x8.3 155 600x800

Personally, I can fit the Clara HD in a pocket just fine. The paperwhite 4 dimensions don't appear to be that much bigger... but if your pocket(s) are just that tiny bit too snug by 6 mm, then maybe you would want a kobo clara hd.
The weight of the Clara HD is 166, according to the Kobo specs/site.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
A jacket with bigger pockets. I can fit an 8" tablet - complete with cover - in my internal pocket. Kobo Mini almost gets lost in that pocket.
Heh, or a bigger purse, or get a backpack. I worked at a university where a backpack was required attire and it's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

I won't compromise on screen size and carry my 8" reader with me in my backpack.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I worked at a university where a backpack was required attire and it's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.
I prefer my Timbuk2 messenger bag to a backpack. But then, I've always been a rebel
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
It looks like Tekstor had a Pyrus Mini for a while, that was a pretty basic, but functional 4.3" e-reader. But that's also defunct by now.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote