Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
New Kindle Voyage

There has been a lot of speculation on the forum regarding a new Kindle. Apparently leaked site info from Germany and Spain talks about a new Kindle Voyage with higher resolution available in November. There are no images of the new Kindle Voyage available, but the specifications suggest it will have a new page press sensor to turn pages by pressing lightly on the bezel, alongside "intelligent front lighting." Also it mentions a 300 ppi display on the 6-inch device that comes in the usual WiFi and 3G versions. The 112 x 116 mm dimensions suggest the Voyage will be smaller and at 8mm deep (can you say new round of cases?). Check out the link:

http://http://www.engadget.com/2014/...kindle-voyage/

http://source.crowdboom.net/?uri=htt...ications-rumor

Last edited by Stingo; 09-17-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
There has been a lot of speculation on the forum regarding a new Kindle. Apparently leaked site info from Germany and Spain talks about a new Kindle Voyage with higher resolution available in November. Check out the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/17/kindle-voyage/
If this info holds true, then this new Kindle is way overpriced at $190. There's no way that I would ever pay more than $125 for an ereader.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If this info holds true, then this new Kindle is way overpriced at $190. There's no way that I would ever pay more than $125 for an ereader.
I would....but I hope it's around $150 US with ads.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
According to the screenshot from the German site
http://www.lesen.net/wp-content/uplo...screenshot.jpg
there will be also a new basic Kindle with touch screen.

There is also a graphic of the new Voyage - page turn buttons are back and possibly light sensors.
http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/l...-voyage-53684/
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm still very happy with my 1st gen Kindle 4 that set me back about $50.
Advert
Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
According to the screenshot from the German site
http://www.lesen.net/wp-content/uplo...screenshot.jpg
there will be also a new basic Kindle with touch screen.
I'd love a basic touch screen Kindle; but only if the price is right.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
frogette
frogette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
page turn buttons are back
If this holds true, I'm game! Even at the crazy high price. I miss physical buttons so much.
frogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Remember that this was amazon.de, so the quoted price would include VAT at 19%. That would make the price $160 without VAT. Amazon generally knock off $20 for the ad-supported version, so perhaps $140-ish?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
The existing 6" kindle white display is 212 ppi and 1024x768.

So a 1440x1080 display at the same 6" works out to be 300 ppi exactly (see here), matching the resolution of the 6.8" Kobo Aura HD/H2O device. Now the only thing that may sway me to Kobo is sdcard support.

And whatever cost-saving/feature-killing Amazon decides to implement/maintain:
* low ram + slow cpu = crashes on complex pdf
* ridiculously low amount of storage: I would not be surprised if it's 2GB
* the speaker (and TTS) will probably never return
* capacitive only input so I can't turn pages with wet hands (when washing dishes)
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Remember that this was amazon.de, so the quoted price would include VAT at 19%. That would make the price $160 without VAT. Amazon generally knock off $20 for the ad-supported version, so perhaps $140-ish?
$139 normal release price would be my guess.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There's no guarantee the screen and buttons are the only improvements.
If the paging buttons are back (yay!) Audio might be, too.
And since international PW2s are shipping with 4GB storage, it is unlikely they would ship the voyage at less. They might, however, go to 8GB or even 16Gb.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Ugh I don't like buttons. Are those holes above the buttons the sensors? From the description: "a new page press sensor to turn pages by pressing lightly on the bezel". Hopefully we will also be able to tap the screen to navigate.

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-17-2014 at 11:13 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Ugh I don't like buttons. Are those holes above the buttons the sensors? From the description: "a new page press sensor to turn pages by pressing lightly on the bezel". Hopefully we will also be able to tap the screen to navigate.

I can't imagine it will ONLY be buttons, i'm sure they'll keep the touchscreen. This is just a nice option for people that don't want to use the screen to turn pages. Maybe there will be a setting to enable/disable the buttons on the bezel?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
So we'll have button, sensor and touch screen navigation? I wonder how many times I'll accidentally turn the page LOL!
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I'm completely in. I'm not sure whether I will get the Voyage, an existing Paperwhite, or the new basic touch Kindle... but by god I am certainly purchasing at least one new Kindle this fall/winter!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote