Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #31
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
New Kindle Color Tablet hardware is almost a clone of the current Nook Color - only difference is dual-core processor (which is simply the current processor at the same price point paid by BN for a processor a year ago).

New Kindle E-Ink Tablet hardware is almost a clone of the current Nook.

It looks like Amazon is banking on the word "Kindle" as the Official Media Word for E-Reader (just as the media use "Tivo" instead of "DVR").

Software and "Sports Team" fanboy allegiance (Apple,Amazon,Sony,BN) seem to be the only differences in the future.

Obviously, BN will likely cut their prices by 20% to match Amazon...

Last edited by Ken Stuart; 09-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I don't see any mention of ad-supported on the Amazon UK site, does that mean that the UK ones are not the KSO variant?
Yes, it does, but given that neither of the two older "special offers" models were available outside the US, this shouldn't come as a great shock .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #33
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
First impressions:

- Price:
* very aggressive! $79.00 - $199.00

For under 300 you can have best of both worlds. e-ink and LCD.

A 79 e-ink reader is a great price!!

And the inter-operability of Kindle books and the app means bookmark synching.
Great!

BUT the most flexibility is when you use Calibre for your own books.

Tablet:
199.00 wow fantastic price for the features.
* Granted it is a branched version of Android, but Amazon will support it.
* IPS LCD - means awesome display quality (on paper) haven't seen it in person
* dual-core processor - won't be too slow
* size not too unwieldy, not too small - more portable than iPad

- Storage:
* Decent 8 GB for books and videos but I own an iPad2 and used to own a iPad, with 16GB it pushes the limit, but remember this: This is a cloud computing device with access to cloud storage (aka online storage)
- no storage port for using SD cards etc takes away the convenience factor of loading your own movies on via memory cards.

wifi only for the table isn't a problem to be honest. There are so many options for wifi around and I don't won't want another monthly subscription.

Disadvantages(? for some)
* no camera (old argument from ipad1 days) some have use for it some don't, without one/ two it keeps the entry price low
* no memory storage card options and 8gb too low..

My perspective:

I own ipad2, k3 and Sony PRS 350. There are times and some materials better suited to read on a LCD display vs e-ink and vice versa. The wifi option for books on the k3 and ipad2 is great, but not often used on k3 because of reading materials for books is less frequent vs magazines and other pdfs on the iPad.

I expect reviews to be flowing in shortly from all over, but as more hands on analysis can be done. I think this is a good thing for Amazon and its customers.

Cheers!
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
New Kindle E-Ink Tablet hardware is almost a clone of the current Nook.
It's actually pretty much the same hardware as the Blackberry Playbook.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I don't see any mention of ad-supported on the Amazon UK site, does that mean that the UK ones are not the KSO variant?
Yes. The KSO is US only.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But the ads are only noticeable if you stare at your screen savers or stare at the tiny ad banner at the bottom of the home page.
Regardless of how you feel about the ads, and how unobtrusive they may be... I do think Amazon should have been a little more clear about their pricing with this press conference (and in general). The website and the various versions/prices are getting pretty confusing to keep straight.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #37
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But the ads are only noticeable if you stare at your screen savers or stare at the tiny ad banner at the bottom of the home page. I do neither, so they're not noticeable to me. To me, the offers and lower device price are well worth it.

that's the only time you see the ads, they don't pop up while reading ?
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
No, they don't. Screen saver and home page only.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #39
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it doesn't have 3G. "Whispernet" in this case refers to wireless content delivery over WiFi, and also to content syncing between devices. But it's all WiFi. Definitely and absolutely no 3G .
yeah i have been doing allot of reading and realized that when the one person wrote whispernet they actually meant whispersync.

the synching is actually extended to synching movies and music so thats really cool.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #40
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
So, the cheapest one has no touch screen, no wifi and no 3g, correct?

It's just a basic reader - much like the early Sonys - only with advertising and made from plastic.

Nice of Amazon to hit all the price points - and I'm sincere about that - but it might now kill all those 'Kindle is better than everything in every way' arguments.

Ironicly this like specialization .. can't be all to everyone's needs. Makes sense Amazon would eventually offer multiple physical form factors based on cost and function.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #41
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
So, it looks like the Kindle Touch 3G no longer has a web browser. Under Experimental they only list Read to Me and Listen to Music and Podcasts.

I'm glad I have the keyboard version which gives me free 3G internet access when I need it.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #42
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
So, it looks like the Kindle Touch 3G no longer has a web browser. Under Experimental they only list Read to Me and Listen to Music and Podcasts.

I'm glad I have the keyboard version which gives me free 3G internet access when I need it.
Too me it is not a big deal. I found using the web on my K3 to be so bad, I've only used it once or twice.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Regardless of how you feel about the ads, and how unobtrusive they may be... I do think Amazon should have been a little more clear about their pricing with this press conference (and in general). The website and the various versions/prices are getting pretty confusing to keep straight.
Yeah, that's true and I agree they should've been upfront about it. In fact, they should've given all the prices and demonstrated the full ad experience.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #44
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I was hoping for a camera, for video chat, but no biggie. Maybe the USB port will allow for an external cam but I doubt it.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Correct!

I avoid the ads by doing this. When I'm done reading, I close the cover before sliding the power switch off. When ready to read again, I slide the power switch on before I open then cover. At no point during this process are the ads ever seen.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote