Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Advice for a new aussie kobo reader owner

Hey all,
Just grabbed this device yesterday and went straight to kobobooks.com and bought some books.
Silly me didn't realise until i got home that the software supplied is actually from Angus and Robertson... and the software is rather, err, horrible (a common complaint i see from this forum).
I got myself ADE and got the books onto my device fine and all is well, except one of them has that annoying small, un-resizable font issue.

I guess i'm wondering, from an aussie point of view, how should i manage the files and library on my device and PC; How do i update the firmware (mine is telling me it's 1.0 currently and i couldn't find an option, or any options really, in the Angus and Robertson software); and is Calibre the only solution for me?

Thanks in advance
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Well the new firmware update for the A&R software (the Borders one too, which I agree is terrible, it hangs a lot too) should be out soon (according to http://blog.kobobooks.com/ ) but I'm currently not rushing for it because I like the idea of the cover being on my Kobo.

As for the font problem you might be able to run it though the font fixer at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83209 I've used this and its fixed most of the font resize problems that I have had when using books.

Calibre is good for non-DRMed books but when you are using DRMed books it doesn't work as well, but IMHO its 100x better than the Border's software for constructing your library (and doesn't fill up the "I'm reading" list)
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey hey! Thanks mate... that tool looks like it will do the job nicely!
I only have the one title so far that has that issue, so i'll try it out tonight! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
The firmware upgrade will fix the font issue, which is a big one.

The upgrade also changes the way the Kobo goes to sleep/powers down, and that feature has a number of people in an uproar. I think it is far outweighed by the benefit of fixing the font issue.

The upgrade also lets you hide the 100 free ebooks, which is good.

I'd grab the upgrade as soon as it's available, as the benefits to me are much greater than the negatives.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
takamatsu
Person
takamatsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I purchased my Kobo from Angus and Robertson and had it posted to Japan.

I updated the firmware using the links to download the application that you will see in other threads (e.g. as if you bought direct from Kobo store). This gives you a new Kobo application that is the same as the Angus and Robertson one, just with different branding and connected to Kobo shop.

I tried the Angus and Robertson App hoping it would behave well with the new firmware, but unfortunately it detected the version mismatch and didn't work. I also have the Borders Australia App (same thing, just rebranded) and that had the same problem.

I'm managing my library using Calibre. At the moment I'm just reading free books. If I want to purchase one I guess I'll be buying from the Kobo store. Whether this is good or bad depends a lot on currency fluctuations.
takamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
The new firmware link is at this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=2

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
digital_steve
Muppet

Thanks all... will be updating to new firmware as soon as i get home.