Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
lissie
Enthusiast
lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lissie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
OpenOffice and Smashwords - Just doesn't work

OK I am pissed but I have spent about 6 hours trying to get this to work.

I've been using Word processors since before Microsoft and I know a fair bit of html I should be able to do this

I cannot get openoffice 3.2.1 to correctly format epub and mobi via smashwords. I am saving as word97 dot doc format

I have gone nuclear - stripped all the formatting via a text editor (more than once)

There are no tabs or <cr> in the document.

Meatgrinder doesnt think there is a problem - but there is:

The issues are:
  • one bullets
- these work all except for the mobi (kindle3) - mobi on the kindle for the PC is OK basically the bullet is one line above the associated text
I got kdp to format correctly by manually stripping the addition <p> formatting that OO was putting inside the <li> tag - but I can't of course do this for SM because they want a doc file

Linked table of contents

This isn't working at all in mobi - its there but not live
in epub - viewing in adobe digital editions - only 2 out for chapters show on the left side - it appears that I can't use a " : " - or possibly I have to start with the word "chapter" - but its not consistent - either way only the chapters that appear on the left menu are clickable

I created the TOC using the recommended manual approach of creating bookmarks and then hyper linking to them from default formatted text

I am at the point of paying someone to do this for - I cannot believe that it can be this hard !

Last edited by lissie; 07-13-2011 at 07:30 AM.
lissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I had similar problems, also using OOo or maybe I had already migrated to LibO. No way to get a new chapter to start on a new page, centred, in larger typeface and about 2 cm down. Gave up. I can format mobi and epub in calibre and sigill, and upload them to all the major sites with less hassle than trying to get Smashwords to do it right. I'm only missing iTunes and niche things like Palm.

If only Smashwords would let you replace the meatgrinder product with a well-formatted equivalent... Mark, are you listening?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
For the life of me I could never get the LibO spell-checker to work. Switched back to OO and it was fine. Hmm.

This was already discussed here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124846
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

I just published yesterday the V2 of a guide called L'EPUB en pantoufles whose subject is how to make an EPUB using LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) and W2X.

In French though...

But I could answer some questions except about Smashwords and MeatGrinder, of which I know nothing about.

It's my signature.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, the problem isn't making an epub. It's making a source document for Smashwords, that they then turn into an epub.

If Smashwords would only accept epubs, then it would be a lot easier
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Bit off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
For the life of me I could never get the LibO spell-checker to work. Switched back to OO and it was fine. Hmm.

This was already discussed here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124846
Hm, try it again, Dadioflex. There was an issue with the spill chucker at an early phase, but as far as I can tell it's fixed now. And I'm afraid with all the to-ing and fro-ing, OOo is not going to go anywhere fast, whereas LibO is developing well.

I suppose I should have asked which language you were checking, too, but as I say I haven't seen any problems with that recently in the users list.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
hanque99
SF&F Scribbler
hanque99 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I have a number of ebooks on Smashwords. I write them in Mac's pages word processor. When I have it formatted the way I want it (and the way the guide says to do it) I save it as a doc file. Then comes the bizarre (and necessary step) I open the doc file in Openoffice and resave it as the same doc file. When I upload to Smashwords, it sails thru. On the other hand, this is only useful application I've found for OO. It's just too damn clumsy and slow.
hanque99 is offline   Reply With Quote