Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Ebook Authors - What's your favorite word processor?
Microsoft Word 43 46.24%
Apple Pages 3 3.23%
Open Office 27 29.03%
WordPerfect 5 5.38%
Plain text editor (i.e. Notepad, etc.) 4 4.30%
Microsoft Works 1 1.08%
I use a specialized writing application 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncharles View Post
You might want to add Celtx to this - quite a (mostly free) package, for dramatic writing (screenplays and plays) but also for purely narrative planning and execution. I mix up Celtx and Wordperfect as I work towards the final copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcusack View Post
well I started etching into clay bricks but with all the earthquakes in Christchurch I lost a few drafts that way and people keep telling me I live in a digital age, so I thought I should modernise, so now I use VI...

welcome to mobileread .... enjoy....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #47
Cory_Silverman
Writer/ Reader
Cory_Silverman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Word all the way

I think that MS Word is the best out there. If you have an issue with the settings, all you need to do is set up a format that you like and then just keep using it. I set it up once per the guidelines at Smashwords, and have not touched it since. I have written and self-published several stories/E-books and have not had a single rejection from the meatgrinder. I also like the fact that if i need a thesaurus or dictionary I do not need to go anywhere but there and a simple right click will usually give me what I am looking for.

Come check out my books at:

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/CS1973

READER BE WARNED!!!! ALL MY BOOKS ARE ADULT ORIENTED AND NOT INTENDED FOR THE UNDERAGED OR PRUDISH READERS!
Cory_Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
looks like WORD sizzles for you ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #49
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use Scrivener, and then output to Open Office or Mac:Office 2011 or LyX for touchups. Now, though, Scrivener has a straight ebook output, so...
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #50
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
I use OpenOffice as my primary writing tool, and processor for fixing my files for meatgrinding. Why? Cause its free and does everything MSword does.

However, my next novel The Legends of an Englishman is going out onto Google Docs in an experiment in cloud writing, and accessibility from anywhere.
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #51
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I use MS Word, mostly due to inertia and a lack of motivation to explore an alternative. I haven't experienced any grief while using MS Word, although I do very little in terms of formatting my manuscripts.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #52
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Hi there.

Tend to do most of my writing in longhand or in Wordpad, which is nicely uncluttered on the screen. Pre-upload work gets done in Word.

Many moons ago, I used a program called VDE which was a nice little DOS-based text editor; I'd be using it still, but it could only handle files up to about 70k in size.

Bests to all,

--tr
The Other Iron River and Other Stories
VDE (Video Display Editor) was a great little program! I used it for years to write narratives in connection with my job, and I still would if I could. Whenever I think of VDE, I think of the hammering head of a dot matrix printer.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #53
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'm sticking with Word 2003 (well, except for on the Vista machine at home where I have Office 2000, because that's the one I have discs for; 2003 came installed on my laptop & is on the work computer). If work ever "upgrades" to '07, I may quit.

I'm very familiar & comfortable with Word, but I'll sometimes use Abiword because it's small & portable; I can run it off a small flash drive. I'm looking at some of the author-specific software rather than a general word processor; while I do use almost all of Word's features sometimes, I don't use them for normal writing. (For designing character sheets? I use text boxes and objects and word art and tables. For lists of links online, I use mail merge. But for normal writing, a very simple processor would be better; I don't need the distraction of all those other features.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #54
Daniel A Roberts
Author
Daniel A Roberts began at the beginning.

Device: Mobi Pocket
I love Open Office. And I voted for it too.

Hiya Mark! It's meeeeee! Thanks man, for letting us post extended descriptions up to 4K words on Smashwords for our books. Rock on!
Daniel A Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #55
proofnedit
proofnedit began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
OK, people. After reading the posts on WP preferences, maybe I will download OO if I can use it on Windows. Haven't had any problems with Word 2007 UNTIL the past few days when it and I quote "isn't responding". Hate that msg. b/it really means it when it says it. My brother is a fanatical Linux and OO user and has tried to convert me b/it's just that learning curve when you switch. So I removed Windows from one of my computers and loaded Linux so I could learn OO, etc. B/have not done so. But you guys are making it sound appealing.
proofnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #56
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm a little unclear on why you loaded Linux so you could learn OpenOffice. Why didn't you just download the Windows version?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #57
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I use Word 2003 and have no reason to change. I have modified it so that only those tools I use are on the toolbar, of which there is only one.

Most of the time, I write with the full screen feature engaged; there is nothing to see but the words (if I can find any). I write in 14pt Arial because it reduces eye strain when compared to serif fonts like New Times Roman.

When I am ready to publish, I change everything to New Times Roman, copy it into my Manuscript template and send it off.

I tried Open Office but quickly returned to Word for its versatility and wide selection of formating options. I can't stand to be in the same room with the glitzy Vista or Windows 7 versions.

Sometimes, just for laughs, I fire up a command prompt and run XyWrite. LOL

Joe Minton

Last edited by Joe Minton; 01-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
danan
danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3
Google Docs or Scrivener! I don't think I even have Office installed on my computer. I definitely appreciate Google Docs' efficiency, and I really like Scrivener's many functions.
danan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #59
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Word 2003 but prefer Open Office. The newer versions of Word are just too many new tricks for this old dog.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #60
proofnedit
proofnedit began at the beginning.

Worldwalker, to answer your question, I didn't know that OO could be used w/Windows. Thought it was only a Linux program. Now I know. True, that one never gets too old to learn, huh?
proofnedit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
word processors, writing