Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
Unhappy [Solved] Mini Can't/Won't Load Content From Kobo

I received my Mini today, went through setup, and I'm having a strange problem with it. I put it on the same account as my Glo. After setup, I synced it and expected to see the books I'd already purchased ready to download. Instead, it said my library was empty. My shelves that have synced from my Glo all appeared on the Mini as expected. My books were listed under those shelves, but with a 'Buy Now' button instead. I did not have the option to download them.

So far, I've tried:
1. Signing out and back into my Kobo account on my Mini.
2. Deleting my KoboReader.sqlite and factory resetting.
3. Setting up via Kobo Desktop instead of wifi.
4. Manually loading books via Kobo Desktop.

Syncing with Kobo Desktop also doesn't get my books onto my Mini. If I try to load them one by one, I can send some of them to Mini, while some flash a very quick error message. I opened up the Kobo app on my phone, and the books that won't load on my Mini are fine there.

I factory reset my Glo a few days ago because I wanted to reload everything after doing some extensive work on my Calibre library. (Perhaps overkill to factory reset, but I wanted to start from scratch.) I had no problems with the books reloading on it.

Sideloading from Calibre works without a hitch. While I can sideload everything, including the books purchased from Kobo, I'm wondering if I should be concerned. This seems like something that would have to be a software issue or an account issue. Has anyone seen something like this, or should I ask Kobo what's going on? I few searches through Googles and the forums didn't seem to turn up anything this erratic.

Is this my "welcome to the wonderful world of Kobo, you're lucky the worst thing that happened before now is that you missed the smiling Kobo" moment?

Last edited by delph; 07-02-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: marking solved
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Delph: Try checking a few things.

Settings Date / Time. Are these correct?

Settings Account. Is the first account listed correct?

What F/W level is on the mini? (Settings Device Info)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Date and Time are correct, as is Time zone.

First account listed is correct.

Firmware level is 2.6.1, dated 6/13/2013.

I wouldn't think this would be important, but the Mini was purchased from Family Christian Stores. I did notice there is a string under the [Browser] section of KoboReader.conf that includes that: wsa=FamilyChristian. I figured that was just for something like which books came pre-loaded. (I didn't edit the file - just peeked at it.)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... For the heck of it, try changing that section of the conf file to match your Glo.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
delph
Tabby

That didn't fix it, but I did get it fixed!

I found affiliate.conf under the .kobo directory. It had a different value than my Glo, purchased from Powell's. So I changed it to match my Glo. I synced again and all of my previously purchased books loaded.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well done
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
lshapiro
lshapiro began at the beginning.

Device: zire 71
I just bought a Mini, also from Family Christian, and I'm having a similar sync problem, but I don't have any other readers currently on my account. Do you think I can fix this by putting some "safe" value into affiliate.conf? I have the funny feeling that calling Kobo won't get this thing resolved. Honestly, virtually all of my reading is sideloaded, and that works fine, but I hate for things to be "broken."

Thanks,
Lou
lshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I think calling Kobo (or engaging them in an online chat) will work....
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Actually try this; logout from Kobo Desktop and log back into it. See if that helps.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
lshapiro

Well, logging in and out didn't fix things, so I guess I'll try contacting Kobo.

Lou
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Thank-you!

I had the same problem with a Kobo Mini I bought yesterday at Family Christian. I already had an Aura that I bought directly from Kobo.

I checked the Aura and the affiliate was Kobo, so I changed the affiliate in the mini from Family Christian to Kobo and it worked!!! It is now downloading all of my books.

Thank-you so much!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
lshapiro

Changing affiliate to Kobo worked for me, too. However, after rebooting, the affiliate seems to be reset to Family Christian.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
delph
Tabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
I had the same problem with a Kobo Mini I bought yesterday at Family Christian. I already had an Aura that I bought directly from Kobo.

I checked the Aura and the affiliate was Kobo, so I changed the affiliate in the mini from Family Christian to Kobo and it worked!!! It is now downloading all of my books.

Thank-you so much!
Glad that helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshapiro View Post
Changing affiliate to Kobo worked for me, too. However, after rebooting, the affiliate seems to be reset to Family Christian.
That's strange. I couldn't remember if I'd rebooted, so I just did. Mine is still set to the string I set it too. Did you reboot or reset it? I haven't had a reason to reset (and I don't want to type my wifi password in yet again if I don't have to), so I'm not sure if this would persist through a reset.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
lshapiro

Well now I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't actually know what I did. I guess I held the top slider longer and powered off. Is that a reset? In any case this works just fine for me, but now I'm curious about how permanent this fix is,
Thanks for your help and patience.

Lou
Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

No thats not a reset. A reset can be done via the menus at Settings | Device Info | Advanced | Reset Device. This will do a full factory reset, both removing all content and restoring the device to it's original factory installed firmware.

A second form of reset is Settings | Account | Sign-out (the first Sign-out option, not the one besides Facebook Activity). This will remove the database from the device but leave all sideloaded material on the device, and also leave you at the firmware level you were on.

In either case you will have to redo the setup of the device.