Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
AZW3 and dropcaps

I converted an epub that had dropcaps defined as follows:

.dropcaps
{
float: left;
font-size: 60px;
line-height: 50px;
padding-top: 1px;
margin-top: -.04em;
margin-right: .04em;
}

After I converted the epub to AZW3, the dropcaps ended up as this:

.dropcaps {
float: left;
font-size: 2em; <-----
line-height: 50px;
margin-right: 0.04em;
margin-top: -0.04em;
padding-top: 1px
}

I can fix this manually but is there another way to deal with this? Is this an issue with the font size key?

Using version 0.8.68

Last edited by Jeff L; 09-14-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre converts font sizes to ems. You can turn off font size rescaling in the conversion options, though I dont recall if that also prevents conversion to ems or just resizing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Disabling font size rescaling kept the original font size but then the line height changed.

I don't mind the change to em from px, it's that the conversion doesn't create an equivalent size. I'll just do manual edits. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Disabling font size rescaling kept the original font size but then the line height changed.

I don't mind the change to em from px, it's that the conversion doesn't create an equivalent size. I'll just do manual edits. Thanks.
If you have font size rescaling ON then you also need to check the 8 values in the Font size key just below it. Could it be that the 8th value is currently set to 24? This would mean that nothing in your converted file will be >24pt. Try setting it higher to 36 or 48, whatever size you'd like your dropcaps to be. I have mine set to 36. This equates to my dropcaps font-size in the converted epub css file being 3em. My base font-size is set at 12pt (1em). I guess it's possible that the maths is slightly more complex if the base font-size is not 12pt.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Jeff L
Zealot

Thanks. The font size key did the trick for the font size but now I get the line height changing all the time. It's getting set to 1.2 without any unit named. I expect it means 1.2em.

I'm trying to make AZW3/older mobi packages, that is, I'm using the option to make one file that has both formats (I have older and newer Kindles in the family).

If I make files with only AZW3, then I can edit them afterwards. But with the combo files, editting them removes the older mobi format so I can't edit them afterwards.

I going to try Kindlegen and see what I get.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think your line-height problem is also to do with your conversion settings. On the same Look&Feel page, just under the Font size key, there are 2 line-height boxes. I'm not sure which one of them is the culprit, but my settings are
Minimum line height: 0%
Line height: 0pt
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
On the same Look&Feel page, just under the Font size key, there are 2 line-height boxes. I'm not sure which one of them is the culprit, but my settings are
@Jeff L by default Minimum line height is set to 120% if you want to disable this, the pop-up screen says to set it to 0%.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Jeff L
Zealot

Yes, that was it. Line height now remains as it was. Of course, different Kindles interpret the settings differently, but that's a separate issue.

Karma all around.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think your line-height problem is also to do with your conversion settings. On the same Look&Feel page, just under the Font size key, there are 2 line-height boxes. I'm not sure which one of them is the culprit, but my settings are
KF8 on an eInk Kindle doesn't respect line-height to lower the line height. The only way to be sure of getting the exact line-height you want is to embed a font with a modified line space that you want of just code with no embedded font for the default font and go with that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Sounds like another good reason for me to stick with epub for the forseeable, then. My only Kindle-like hands-on experience to date has been Kindle for Android, which I found distinctly underwhelming.