Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Third party 'book sync' services?

Amazon does it. I'm not sure about the other services, but I would expect that Kobo and BN would too.

Are there any third-party services that do this? I'm reading 'Inherit the Stars' from here. I'd like download the book and upload it to some service. Then I could read a bit of it on my iPod touch on my break at work. When I get home, I'd like to take out my Android tablet and have it sync to the same spot I was at last on my iPod.

Ditto perhaps with PDF's and other document formats.

Does anyone know of any services that do this?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Are there any third-party services that do this? I'm reading 'Inherit the Stars' from here.
No clue on your question, but congrats on having excellent tastes in novels. I'm really gonna have to track down a new copy of The Giants Trilogy (Inherit, Gentle Giants of Ganymede, Giants' Star omnibus, natch) 'cos mine is at the limit of what scotch tape can do to keep a paperback together and Kobo doesn't carry it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
If you are reading a DRM-free EPUB, Ibis Reader does that for you.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right. Except the university I work for blocks that page.

I can see no reason why it should be blocked, but it is.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
If you are reading a DRM-free EPUB, Ibis Reader does that for you.
That's a good idea and a gorgeous website. I'm wondering what the privacy policy on the site is? (i.e., what's to keep someone from accessing your books and getting shirty over, say, DRM removal?)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
That's a good idea and a gorgeous website. I'm wondering what the privacy policy on the site is? (i.e., what's to keep someone from accessing your books and getting shirty over, say, DRM removal?)
You could always, y'know, read their privacy policy
http://ibisreader.com/privacy_checklist/
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I looked for it before I asked, but couldn't find it in the HELP section. Thank you for the link.

(But not, you know, the sarcasm. I'm kidding, of course.)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Magic scroll may be an option.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Liz Daley runs that site (and IBISReader) - she's been involved in ebooks for a long time (and an active mover in the ePub3 standard). She's one of the good guys
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
No clue on your question, but congrats on having excellent tastes in novels. I'm really gonna have to track down a new copy of The Giants Trilogy (Inherit, Gentle Giants of Ganymede, Giants' Star omnibus, natch) 'cos mine is at the limit of what scotch tape can do to keep a paperback together and Kobo doesn't carry it.
Buy it from Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would, 'cept they only have ''Inherit the Stars'' (and that as a freebie, which I grabbed) and the fifth novel ("Mission to Minerva", which wasn't any good, nor was the fourth, "Entoverse").
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I would, 'cept they only have ''Inherit the Stars'' (and that as a freebie, which I grabbed) and the fifth novel ("Mission to Minerva", which wasn't any good, nor was the fourth, "Entoverse").
They have two omnibuses and a standalone of the last novel.

http://www.webscription.net/p-440-the-two-moons.aspx
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Look again:

http://www.webscription.net/p-616-the-two-worlds.aspx
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Hatgirl
Addict

Quote:
I looked for it before I asked, but couldn't find it in the HELP section. Thank you for the link.

(But not, you know, the sarcasm. I'm kidding, of course.)
Providing the link as well, rather than only the sarcasm, is what elevates MobileRead above other internet help forums
Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
They have two omnibuses and a standalone of the last novel.

Ah. Hard to spot when you don't know those omnibuses exist (the only one I was aware of was ''The Giants Novels'', containing the first three books) and the contents aren't shown on the main listing. Thanks for the heads-up, both of you, and sorry for the digression caused by ''Inherit the Stars'' being my favorite SF novel of all-time.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 08-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.