Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Transferring Content

I currently have the K2 and am awaiting delivery of my K3.

I use Calibre to manage my files on PC and transfer to Kindle.

When my K3 arrives is there a quick and easy way to transfer all the content from my 2 to the 3.

I have setup numerous collections within K2 and was hoping to preserve them without too much trouble.

Ps. The majority of my K2 content comes from sites like these.

Thanks,

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Collections are Sony thing, not Kindle, right? Calibre has Tags....
Guess I'm confused as to what it is you are trying to do.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
I currently have the K2 and am awaiting delivery of my K3.

I use Calibre to manage my files on PC and transfer to Kindle.

When my K3 arrives is there a quick and easy way to transfer all the content from my 2 to the 3.

I have setup numerous collections within K2 and was hoping to preserve them without too much trouble.

Ps. The majority of my K2 content comes from sites like these.

Thanks,

Brewjono
When your K3 arrives, if you go to your archived items list, at the top you'll see "Add Other Device Collections". When you click on that you'll see the other devices on your account that have collections. Click on the one you want (if there is more than one) and select "ok" for confirmation. When you go back to your home page you'll see all the your collection categories.

Now as far as transferring content, if the books are Amazon Kindle DRM-free, you can just copy everything to your Kindle's documents folder. If you have books from the Kindle store, you will have to re-download them because the DRM will be based on the PID of your Kindle 2.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daffy4U,

See if I got this right.

All the content I will be moving at this stage will be DRM free.

1) Copy the my documents folder from my K2 to PC
2) Open K3 and "Add other device collections"
3) Copy the contents of the backedup K2 my documents onto the K3 via Explorer
4) Restart

Sounds simple enough.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
brewjono
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Collections are Sony thing, not Kindle, right? Calibre has Tags....
Guess I'm confused as to what it is you are trying to do.
Kindle now has collections.
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Daffy4U,

See if I got this right.

All the content I will be moving at this stage will be DRM free.

1) Copy the my documents folder from my K2 to PC
2) Open K3 and "Add other device collections"
3) Copy the contents of the backedup K2 my documents onto the K3 via Explorer
4) Restart

Sounds simple enough.
#1 - not exactly, see #3

#2 - yes

#3 is dependent on where the books came from originally and if they have DRM. You won't be able to move the Kindle books you downloaded from Amazon for your Kindle 2 directly to your new Kindle 3 because the DRM won't match (they each have their own DRM). Any books you've purchased from Amazon you will have to be re-downloaded from Amazon... you can do this from the Archives link on your Kindle 3.

#4 - there is no need for a restart
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Kindle now has collections.
Sorry for my confusion...wasn't seeing that on my K2...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
brewjono
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry for my confusion...wasn't seeing that on my K2...
Only just recently came about with the new firmware.