Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can anyone please upload pics of a PDF file running on the iPAD?!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
avaloncourt
Enthusiast
avaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
The specifications for the iPad state PDF is supported in email only. There is no other reference:

Quote:
Mail attachment support
Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
If you transfer an unencrypted ePub book does in show up in the same place as if you purchased an encrypted ePub book from Apple?
Yes, import the file into iTunes and an unencrypted EPUB will show up in the books section with everything else. iTunes 9.1 also combined the Audiobooks into the books category. In iTunes, the EPUB books show up on top and the audio books below.

I haven't had any issues bringing EPUBs into iTunes but there have been a lot of reports that cover art does not transfer correctly. This is more of an issue of where the books came from than the EPUB format itself.

Last edited by avaloncourt; 04-03-2010 at 11:40 PM.
avaloncourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #18
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
So, it appears that reading standard PDFs on the iPad has limitations other than the 9.7" screen (which being the same size as the Kindle DX, is too small for many standard-size PDFs)?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #19
uncola
uncola began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 soon
I have an ipad and it's great for viewing pdfs.. if they are hosted on a web site, safari will open and view them natively.. I imagine if you email them to yourself you can also click on them and view them.. for copying pdfs from your computer to your ipad I'm currently using goodreader tablet edition.. it has a ton of features and was only 99 cents...
uncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use the content server in calibre with safari to view all the books in your calibre collection on the iPad. I've seen reports of people using it successfully to view epubs, I imagine PDF should work the same.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #21
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
I bought GoodReader for my iPad and use Dropbox (also available from the Apple Store and works with the iPad) to exchange documents between my iPad and other computing devices.

It works great for me with some of the pdfs that I've tried so far.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can use the content server in calibre with safari to view all the books in your calibre collection on the iPad. I've seen reports of people using it successfully to view epubs, I imagine PDF should work the same.
True... but if you are on the road with a WiFi only version... that won't really be a solution.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote