Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #31
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
AT&T already have roaming agreements in canada.
Yea, but I understand on pretty unfavourable terms, hence the second deal.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #32
iMaculate
iMaculate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all your feedback. The dust has settled a bit, so I can stand back and see a bit clearly now.

The fact of the matter is that the publishing/bookselling industry is on the cusp of major overhaul. At the Frankfurter book fair taking place this month we should see a number of new e-book readers (such as the txtr) as well as some announcements (color e-book reader from Barnes and Nobel). But this is only the start. The publishers have to examine their cockamamie handling of international rights to their books or at least acknowledge that these need an overhaul. Simply put: publishers rights should not depend on the medium or geographical locatsion but instead on the content. Like I said in my initial posting here: as a consumer I see no reason why I am barred from buying the kindle version of a book that I can purchase at amazon.com as a print version.

But the publishers should also rethink their pricing: price should depend on the medium - it makes no sense to charge almost the same price for paper book than a downloaded e-book (which marginally costs them nothing). I checked this on some of the books I had purchased recently at amazon and the biggest saving was 2 dollars. And for that I would have to buy a kindle.

So I cancelled my order the same day and will now await the end of the Frankfurter book fair.

Happy reading!
iMaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #33
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Price for a ebook vs pbook is not totaly related to cost... You have to think about what you are paying for. Are you buying the book to have it on you bookshelf or are you paying for the information, the story ect? Most people pay for the story and what are the information worth and is it worth more in pbook format than in ebook format?
I dont say ebooks should cost as much as a papperback but I am not saying that they shoudlnt either

is a bit off topic perhaps
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaculate View Post
The publishers have to examine their cockamamie handling of international rights to their books or at least acknowledge that these need an overhaul.
We all agree that they need an overhaul, but publishers cannot set aside book distribution contracts that have already been signed, merely because they don't fit in with the world of e-books.

I'm sure that more "sensible" distribution deals (world-wide non-exclusive distribution) will be signed for new books, but we all have to accept that it's going to take many, many years before all the existing distribution contracts expire.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #35
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Merely, no. But If a contact dosn't refer to ebooks, it simply dosn't cover the rights and authors should be entirely free to sell them. There's been nasty-minded legal tactics on behalf of some publishers to landgrab ebook rights in the knowledge that non-bestseller authors don't have the money to fight back, when the contracts never addressed them at all.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert