Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
This is good
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The Doctor has a plan ? Yikes ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Vera struggled up, with the image of the creatures pursuing her burned into her mind.

"Llamas. In helmets. With guns. Mounted in saddlebags," she said, thinking that maybe she was suffering from caffeine induced hallucinations from an excess of the espresso machine in the office.

She turned to the Doctor who was distractedly feeling wall tiles. Doubting herself, she asked, "Llamas?"

"Hmmm. What? Oh. You mean the Glamaian mercenaries."

"The what?"

"The Glamaian mercenaries. From the planet Glama. Well, they evolved there as one of the two sentient species on the planet, but ended up fleeing. Strange. You don't normally see them doing this sort of work," he replied distractedly.

Somewhat bemused and confused Vera looked around, trying to find something normal. "It looks like your otoscope is broken."

"Ah. Got it. My what is broken?" the doctor said as he turned and Vera handed him the otoscope. "My screwdriver. Well, at least it's just a prop."

Suddenly, Vera heard a small part of her mind that had been clamouring for attention ever since she landed on the ground, and her face dropped. "My liseuse!" she exclaimed and pulled it out from her liseuse from her coat pocket. And a little bit of glass fell to the floor. "My liseuse… you've broken it!"

"I'm sure we can fix it," said the doctor taking it from her. Holding his otoscope which glowed gently, slowy repairing itself gluing its parts back together, he opened her liseuse as the otoscope made strange high pitched noise. "There; much better now!" and passed it back to Vera, who looked at the now apparently repaired, and very white screened liseuese. Tentatively she pressed the on button, and it instantly came on. And amazingly the network indication was on as well. Though the battery indication was very, very low. Somewhat mollified, she turned it off.

"I think we should be going. I don't believe those doors will hold much longer," the doctor said indicating the blistering blast doors as he pressed three wall tiles. A section of the tiles moved away opening onto a corridor that slowly started to light up. "It'll be a lot safer in here."

"Perhaps we should cover our tracks, Doctor," Vera observed indicating the footprints they'd left in the dust and debris.

"Excellent point," and with that he waved his otoscope and suddenly the debris rearranged itself making it look as if they had headed on down the corridor. And with that the section of the tiles moved back into place. Shortly down the corridor, the Doctor stopped at a door labelled BeaconGrove Institute, placed his hand on a little panel, which promptly lit up and a computer voice said "Welcome Doctor", to which the Doctor replied "and guests" and the door promptly opened.

"I think I deserve some answers. What are you?"

"Come in, and sit down, and I'll explain."

"I asked, what are you?"

"Okay. I'm a Thread Lord. From the planet Modifrey."
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
"I'm a Thread Lord. From the planet Modifrey."
of course he is.

that otoscope seems like a new and improved version of the sonic screwdrivers i've seen... or else, that other guy just doesn't know how to use all the functions.

so what's beacongrove then ??? and what about these answers ??? and what are the glamaian mercenaries after ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hugo, panting: "You okay, Lefty."
Lefty: "I think so."
Hugo: "At least we don’t have to weld those doors together – they're doing it for us."
Doctor: "There's a doorway here, but I need to find the panels to open it…"
Lefty: "But I'm a Smart Sock, not a Cat Burgler"
Hugo: "I think one is there, the other if over left, a bit more… Yes there. And the final one is two below it."
Doctor: "Brilliant"
Lefty: "Hey, I'm brilliant too".
Doctor: "Well perhaps you could help repairing my sonic screwdriver and that the liseuse. Whatever a liseuse is."
Lefty: "It’s a book reader. And I'm a Smart Sock, not an electronics repairman."
Hugo: "Well if you can't do it—"
Lefty: "All right, All right….. There. Done it."
Hugo: "Ummm.. Did you really need to make all those improvements?"
Lefty: "Well, I am brilliant."
Hugo: "I know, but it is now strong enough to survive almost anything, and has a battery that could power the whole of London for several years."
Lefty: "You never know.."
Doctor: "Oh, if you could just arrange the dust to make it look like we ran down towards the station exit…"
Lefty: "But I'm a Smart Sock, not a Set Dresser."
Hugo: "Lefty, if you're trying to create a catch-phrase, it's not working."
Lefty: "Harrumph."
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Lefty: "But I'm a Smart Sock, not a Cat Burgler"
smart sock, cat burglar... tomayto, tomahto...

Quote:
Hugo: "I think one is there, the other if over left, a bit more… Yes there. And the final one is two below it."
Doctor: "Brilliant"
Lefty: "Hey, I'm brilliant too".
Doctor: "Well perhaps you could help repairing my sonic screwdriver and that the liseuse. Whatever a liseuse is."
Lefty: "It’s a book reader. And I'm a Smart Sock, not an electronics repairman."
Hugo: "Well if you can't do it—"
Lefty: "All right, All right….. There. Done it."
Hugo: "Ummm.. Did you really need to make all those improvements?"
Lefty: "Well, I am brilliant."
Hugo: "I know, but it is now strong enough to survive almost anything, and has a battery that could power the whole of London for several years."
Lefty: "You never know.."
i want THAT liseuse !!!! :wideyed: (lefty ! you slacker, why haven't you fixed up my liseuse ??? sheesh.)

Quote:
Doctor: "Oh, if you could just arrange the dust to make it look like we ran down towards the station exit…"
Lefty: "But I'm a Smart Sock, not a Set Dresser."
Hugo: "Lefty, if you're trying to create a catch-phrase, it's not working."
don't be silly. catch-phrases spread like contagious air-born viruses around here. what was it again ?

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
'Thread Lord' -- I'm loving it!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
"Okay. I'm a Thread Lord. From the planet Modifrey."

You are going to ebookise this when it's done, aren't you?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #24
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Sounds like Hugo and Lefty in this universe are related to an angel and another angel, who didn't so much fall as hang around with the wrong company and sort of saunter down...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Just hope this doesn't unravel too quickly - it needs to drawn out to be a long tapestry .... at least as long as the Bayeaux .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
LazyScot
DSil

"I meant," said Vera walking into the room which was full of screens, equipment and generally looking like a cross between a bank trading room and the store room of a high tech company with far too much capital budget, "are you some sort of policeman or soldier or secret agent or what."

"No. Well sort of. Okay perhaps. But I'm also a Thread Lord."

"Okay," said Vera going over to a chair and sitting down, "supposing I believe you, what the heck is a Thread Lord."

"We're masters of threads."

"And what does that mean? You get to wear great clothes?"

"No. Well perhaps. Okay, yes," said the Doctor as he did a very impressive Vogue pose. "But that's not what I meant. Do you know what superstring theory is?"

"I've heard of it, but don't understand it."

"Not understanding is hardly surprising, it's mostly rubbish."

"Okay, but what has that got to do with threads?"

"Threads are, well, threads. Never-ending. Beautiful. Everything and nothing. Alive yet not alive." Shaking his head as if from a reverie, the Doctor continued. "Anyhow. If you replace strings with threads, you get the real foundation of everything."

"So you are saying thread theory explains the universe?"

"Not explains, but is. Woven together threads become the intangible, invisible fundamental fabric that is the universe itself. They are space, and energy, and time, and even reality itself."

"So what's a Thread Lord? Some sort of universe webster?"

"Webster? Oh, weaver. No, not at all. More like a policeman or a repairman."

"So you go around darning the threads of the universe?"

"Repairing, caring for, mending and renewing, redirecting and strengthening, even getting rid of moths and other pests. So yes. That's about what I do."

"So what brings you here?"

"Rumours of an old adversary, that she had come here. Her presence is never a good sign. That, and a feeling that the Threads hereabouts are in danger."

"So you're here on a hunch?"

"Yes. But the Glamaians, those llamas, they shouldn't be here. And they're bringing in a lot of equipment. Equipment they didn't want me to see. Equipment the likes of which I've never seen before. And that is always bad news."
Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
LazyScot
DSil

Lefty: "It still hurts here. What is wrong with this place?"
Hugo: "I don't know. But there is certainly something unusual here."
Lefty: "What's he going on about now?"
Hugo: "I think he's explaining how the universe was knitted."
Lefty, suddenly reminded of something: "Do you think he'll let us go for a wander?"
Hugo, a little nervous: "I thought it was too painful for you here?"
Lefty: "Not here, but nearby. There's a little knitwear shop I’d like—"
Hugo: "You're not still pining after that mitten are—"
Lefty: "Mata is gorgeous. You're just jealous because she wasn't interested in you."
Hugo: "The Doctor said she wasn't what she seem—"
Lefty, sulkily: "What would he know."
Hugo: "He did warn you about using that sauna."
Lefty, begrudgingly: "I suppose so."
Doctor: "What does webster mean?"
Lefty, surprising everyone: "What do you think I am, a dictionary?"
Doctor: "No, just very helpful."
Lefty, surprising everyone: "An archaic or poetic word for a weaver."
Doctor: "Ahhh. Thanks."
Lefty: "Well, I'm brilliant."
Hugo: "You're not still getting on very well with the catchphrase, are you?"
Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

:applauds:

very much enjoying this!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

hm, so now he's a webster ! and clearly hugo and lefty are saving the day behind the scenes. especially lefty. surprising everyone.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #30
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Ahh, so Glamaians are llamas and they are bringing lots of equipment. This sounds a bit worrying. I hope the Doctor, Vera, Hugo and Lefty can save the day. (And where are Hugo and Lefty?!)
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote