Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #721
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
The book I want find the name of is a fantasy book, with a roman type sword down the spine on the hard-cover edition, and a woman in armour raising a sword into the air

You may be interested in this chart - in particular the tallest blue column and the tallest red column.

Orbit books trends in fantasy cover art

So if you have more information about the plot that is likely to be of more help in identifying the book you are looking for.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #722
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Looking for the name of a Sci-Fi story. My hunch is Asimov. It's about how a human keeps an ant colony and plays god to it. Later the human dies and after a while the ants attempt to build a tower to see what has become of their god.
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #723
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Looking for the name of a Sci-Fi story. My hunch is Asimov. It's about how a human keeps an ant colony and plays god to it. Later the human dies and after a while the ants attempt to build a tower to see what has become of their god.
My husband suggests City by Clifford Simak: http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/i...views/info/287
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #724
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
My husband suggests City by Clifford Simak: http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/i...views/info/287
Thanks for the suggestion, but no that is not it. I am almost certain that it is a short story that I am looking for with no mention of dogs. I should have used the term ant farm instead of ant colony and the human would play “ant god” by doing such things as pouring water into the ant farm making an apocalyptic ant farm flood.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 01-04-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #725
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Hmm, that does sound familiar, but I can't remember any details. I hope someone else can!

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 01-04-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #726
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Hmm, that does sound familiar, but I can't remember any details. I hope someone else can!
It does to me as well. I am sure I have it, but I'm not at home so I can't stare at the bookshelf for inspiration.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #727
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It does to me as well. I am sure I have it, but I'm not at home so I can't stare at the bookshelf for inspiration.
I've already searched through my Asimov collection, but the closest I came was "Flies", which obviously isn't it. (But my collection is far from complete.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #728
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but no that is not it. I am almost certain that it is a short story that I am looking for with no mention of dogs. I should have used the term ant farm instead of ant colony and the human would play “ant god” by doing such things as pouring water into the ant farm making an apocalyptic ant farm flood.
I don't know if this will be of help, but I seem to remember a plot like that on one of those anthology sci-fi TV shows. Unfortunately I can't remember which one, but a search might turn up that the TV episode was based on the short story for which you're looking.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #729
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Could "Sandkings" by George R. R. Martin be the story?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #730
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Well, I would say pretty certain, but ...
To me it sounds like 'Shadows' from John Saul, but I only read the German translation.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #731
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Could "Sandkings" by George R. R. Martin be the story?
No that is not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've already searched through my Asimov collection, but the closest I came was "Flies", which obviously isn't it. (But my collection is far from complete.)
Asimov as the author was just a guess, I should have made that clear. To try and pin it down even further the date I read this, which may be years after publication, would have been from around 1966 to 1974. Back when I read a lot of Sci-Fi. My favorite authors tended to be Asimov, Niven, Clarke, Bradbury, and Silverberg. So it could have been one of these. On the other hand I read a lot of collections of stories as well so it could have been by someone not well known.

Quote:
I don't know if this will be of help, but I seem to remember a plot like that on one of those anthology sci-fi TV shows. Unfortunately I can't remember which one, but a search might turn up that the TV episode was based on the short story for which you're looking.
I'll give that a go. The quantity of anthology sci-fi TV shows is certainly much less than the quantity of Sci-Fi stories.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 01-05-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #732
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Perhaps this...

Quote:
Perhaps this one [quoted from imdb.com]
Quote:
The Outer Limits: Season 1, Episode 1
Sandkings (26 Mar. 1995)
TV Episode - 93 min - Drama | Fantasy | Horror

When his research project is closed down, Simon Kress rescues a few of its living subjects and transplants them to a recreation of their native Martian environment in his barn. They grow and learn, but then Kress makes an error with disastrous implications.

Director:
Stuart Gillard
Writers:
George R.R. Martin (novel), Melinda M. Snodgrass (teleplay)
Stars:
Beau Bridges, Helen Shaver, Dylan Bridges
Sandkings by George R.R. Martin is actually a novelette [and also a graphic novel].

Sorry, I got called away from the computer [for an extended period it appears] then finally came back and finished and saved this post that in the interim became irrelevent!

Last edited by alansplace; 01-05-2014 at 02:07 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #733
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Asimov as the author was just a guess, I should have made that clear. To try and pin it down even further the date I read this, which may be years after publication, would have been from around 1966 to 1974. Back when I read a lot of Sci-Fi. My favorite authors tended to be Asimov, Niven, Clarke, Bradbury, and Silverberg. So it could have been one of these. On the other hand I read a lot of collections of stories as well so it could have been by someone not well known.
It was pretty clear. It's just that I have a reasonable collection of Asimov (and Clarke) short stories here so thought I'd look through - any excuse is a good one . Anyway, from the description, Asimov seemed like a reasonable guess.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #734
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The connection with Asimov rang a bell for me, so I was thinking it might have been in a collection he edited called "Tomorrow's Children". I just found the contents list on-line and it isn't in there. But, it does have some excellent stories in it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #735
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcosmic_God
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths