Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Which one should you buy? Interesting "Web Clip" from Gmail.

When I was checking my emails tonight, I noticed an interesting Web Clip
http://www.portableebookreader.com/
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
When I was checking my emails tonight, I noticed an interesting Web Clip
http://www.portableebookreader.com/
Looks like someone trying to cash in on google ads. Nothing new and it seems to be Project Gutenberg like with hard returns after every line making it difficult to read unless you happen to use the width of your browser set to the same as the author uses.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like they don't have CyBook Gen3.

Didn't noticed any surfing problem, maybe because I have 1600x1200 res.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Yeah ... whoever did the webpage formatted it a little strangely. Who knows ... maybe it was the first page they ever created.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Looks like they don't have CyBook Gen3.

Didn't noticed any surfing problem, maybe because I have 1600x1200 res.
It is not strictly resolution. If you view with full screen always you are likely to have a huge screen. Personally I multitask and very very seldom ever use full screen.

Dale
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Well, I use 1920x1200 and sites that use fixed-width, like 1024 pixels width - including this one - are annoying
Irrelevant, the above site is doesn't fall in the above mentioned category, nevertheless the design, content and general presentation are terrible. Cybook, Hanling and few more are absent too.
And btw, they use <br> tags - a line break - instead of paragraph tags <p> for that you see that strange behaviour.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iterati View Post
Well, I use 1920x1200 and sites that use fixed-width, like 1024 pixels width - including this one - are annoying
Irrelevant, the above site is doesn't fall in the above mentioned category, nevertheless the design, content and general presentation are terrible. Cybook, Hanling and few more are absent too.
And btw, they use <br> tags - a line break - instead of paragraph tags <p> for that you see that strange behaviour.
I agree. I don't like even this one but except for covering up the logo I can live with it since I can change the forum to use Liquid width. Alex says he can get more money for advertising with the wide google line so I have to accept that but I always prefer sites that let me to the sizing.

Certainly a <br> tag at the end of every line is exactly the behavior that you get with lame gutenberg text formatting. paragraph tags would be stupid too if you put them at the end of every line.

Dale
Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert

I know nothing about creating websites so I cannot comment

I wonder what it takes a website to get into Gmail Web clips? Do they pay for add? Does google pick websites randomly based only on website topic?