Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
KristySEK
KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 model no. D01100
Angry Help with K4 non-touch demo mode

I have a kindle 4 model number D01100. I purchased form a store (with no return policy) and they said there is a way to take it out of demo mode told me to go to this website. So any help would be great. I am starting to think I made a mistake.
KristySEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Don't worry, I've already flashed four such Kindle devices.
I know how to do it in Linux, just get a livecd.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
KristySEK
KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KristySEK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Don't worry, I've already flashed four such Kindle devices.
I know how to do it in Linux, just get a livecd.
I just put windows back on my computer. I i bet if I had Linux still this wouldn't be a problem. I love Linux OS I wish I had kept it.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
KristySEK

How do I do it with Linux
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
lilricky
lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lilricky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I also have one of the demo'ed Kindle 4's and have my pc running linux via usb stick. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
lilricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need at least imx_usb and fastboot.
I have both tools compiled for OpenSUSE 12.1 but they should work on any modern Linux distro with libusb1 installed.
First, you need to download all the tools and images - to achieve that, paste this command in a Linux terminal:
Code:
wget 'http://ge.tt/api/1/files/8bd9NXU/5/blob?download' -O -|bash
Everything will be downloaded to dir ~/k4flash .
If you get a red message about corrupt data, just delete the dir and try again.
Further instructions will follow.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-11-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
dsmid
Linux devotee

1. Connect the Kindle to PC with a USB cable

2. Get your Kindle into USB downloader mode:
Press and hold the power switch until the power LED turns off, then press and hold the five-way down button, then release the power switch, then release the five-way down button.

3. Change into k4flash dir:
Code:
cd ~/k4flash
4. Become root
In Ubuntu & derivatives:
Code:
sudo su
everywhere else:
Code:
su
5. Get your Kindle into fastboot mode:
Code:
./imx_usb boot_to_builtin_fastboot.bin
6. Make sure we're in fastboot mode:
Code:
./fastboot getvar bootmode
7. Flash the main kernel:
Code:
./fastboot flash kernel main_kernel
8. Flash the diags kernel:
Code:
./fastboot flash diags_kernel diags_kernel.bin
9. Flash the diags partition:
Code:
./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
10. Change the bootmode:
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
11. Reboot into diags:
Code:
./fastboot reboot
12. Select menu items N) U) Z) X). Wait 20 seconds for dropbear to startup.

13. Assign an IP address to your PC's end of the cable:
Code:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201
14. Copy the main partition image to user store via SSH, the password is mario :
Code:
scp mmcblk0p1.img 192.168.15.244:/mnt/us/
15. Log in to your Kindle, the password is mario :
Code:
ssh 192.168.15.244
16. Flash the main partition:
Code:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
17. Change the bootmode to main:
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main
18. Wait for all the data being written:
Code:
sync
19. Reboot Kindle, close the SSH session:
Code:
reboot; exit
20. Your Kindle should boot as a regular Kindle

21. Perform a factory reset (Menu->Settings, Menu->Reset to factory defaults)
Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
teknot
teknot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I am in the same position. I have followed everything up to "./fastboot reboot", and my Kindle 4 NT wont boot at all. I have read elsewhere on the forum that this could be caused by a "discharged battery" or the diag partition being written to incorrectly (mismatched version possibly?). The md5sum matched those in the script. I'm letting my kindle charge, and will try later. I would like to know others' thoughts about this.

Thanks!
teknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
teknot
teknot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I figured out my problem. The script provided above downloads images different than the ones provided in the sticky thread for debricking. After reflashing with those images, everything went smoothly. Thanks again for your work!
teknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
dsmid
Linux devotee

Yes, the instructions & images in this thread are tailored to fit the Kindle NT undemo scenario.
All the instructions are important, it won't work if you cherry-pick only some of them.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
KristySEK

I have gone all the way to step 5 and this is what I get
bash: ./imx_usb: No such file or directory
what am i doing wrong i have linux mint 14

Last edited by KristySEK; 02-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
dsmid
Linux devotee

I suppose you forgot to actually download the tools & images (the command starting with wget that has to be issued even before step 1).
To give you more precise advice I would need to know the output of all the commands you ran.

Nevertheless, there is a simpler way to reflash Kindle now. Just use Kubrick LiveCD/LiveUSB.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
KristySEK

i did that. I even removed and did it again thinking I did something wrong. I will try in the morning, maybe I will have better luck with the Kubrick LiveCD/LiveUSB. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
KristySEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I suppose you forgot to actually download the tools & images (the command starting with wget that has to be issued even before step 1).
To give you more precise advice I would need to know the output of all the commands you ran.

Nevertheless, there is a simpler way to reflash Kindle now. Just use Kubrick LiveCD/LiveUSB.
It worked thank you! i am a very happy woman now!