Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I use the modified date to see what I've worked on in any given day. Up until now, it's always been good at showing what I've worked on.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I haven't changed anything using the tag browser. The only tag work I have done is to add or remove tags to a single book.
I did not mention using the Tag browser

Metadata: Tags

any alternate case entry causes the change
Adding a Book
Updating a Books Tags either by importing (from book) or Downloading (Get Metadata)

Deleting a tag from within the book will NOT trigger this.
Deleting a Tag from the Tag Browser will update all book that use that tag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #18
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Well, now I have a feeling that something is not right. I added about 30 books today, and I now have 274 books showing as modified. For each book I add, I edit the metadata to ensure that the metadata is correct for each book. My download metadata is set to not download any tags. I clear the tags in the edit metadata screen, if the import/add of the book has a tag set. Doing things this way should only change those books that I used the edit metadata screen on or added without editing things.
I took a look at some of the books that I didn't add and have a modify date of today, and I know I haven't touched them at all.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
Well, now I have a feeling that something is not right. I added about 30 books today, and I now have 274 books showing as modified. For each book I add, I edit the metadata to ensure that the metadata is correct for each book. My download metadata is set to not download any tags. I clear the tags in the edit metadata screen, if the import/add of the book has a tag set. Doing things this way should only change those books that I used the edit metadata screen on or added without editing things.
I took a look at some of the books that I didn't add and have a modify date of today, and I know I haven't touched them at all.
You are not understanding how the database works;

(Behind the scenes) A Tag name is assigned a number: eg Science Fiction = 42

Your adding/update a SINGLE book to include the tag science fiction <<note the case
Calibre says: I have a 'science fiction' <of any case
and assigns tag 42 to the book
THEN (and I don't agree with this, but Kovid does)
It fixes the words for tag 42
This triggers the Modified timestamp (this is correct, because the Case of the Tag in the jacket is no longer current)

What tags (names) do these books have in common? Somwhere your work changed the Case of this word from what existed in the DB
This is not a which on is correct discussion. It is Has been Changed
Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
toomuchreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are not understanding how the database works;

(Behind the scenes) A Tag name is assigned a number: eg Science Fiction = 42

Your adding/update a SINGLE book to include the tag science fiction <<note the case
Calibre says: I have a 'science fiction' <of any case
and assigns tag 42 to the book
THEN (and I don't agree with this, but Kovid does)
It fixes the words for tag 42
This triggers the Modified timestamp (this is correct, because the Case of the Tag in the jacket is no longer current)

What tags (names) do these books have in common? Somwhere your work changed the Case of this word from what existed in the DB
This is not a which on is correct discussion. It is Has been Changed
That's just it (I love your explanation by the way on how tag changes work, very clear). I'm not adding/changing tags, I'm removing them. I don't want tags on my books. My download of metadata is set to not add tags. All I was doing was adding books to my library.

Here's what I was doing...

If a book has tags upon import (sometimes I import using the read metadata from file contents which may have tags set, but mostly its set to read data from file name), I remove the tags from the individual book, using the recycle button, when I set the cover and download a book description. My download of metadata is set to not download tags.

I realize that if a tag changes in any way in the edit metadata screen, any book with that tag will change. That would only account for a few books upon import. I don't have tags on my books. I have missed a book here and there, so a change on import would only account for a few books that I have missed. I'm trying to ensure that my books don't have tags. So I can understand a very small number being caught this way.

The books that I'm looking at that have a changed modified_date don't have tags. I didn't add a new format to the books, nor did I try to import the same format for that book.

I'm just trying to understand what else would change a book record if the tags haven't been changed?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Your steps are now clear
IMHO, that should not have done that

Now, if you had used the Left-side Icon: and deleted a Tag from the LEFT-SIDE using Delete Tag button beneath, that deletes All use of the tag.
Using the right-side and the 'un-apply' button, only affects the book
Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
toomuchreading
Groupie

I'm only removing tags from the edit metadata screen, not the tag browser. I wish it was that easy and I could reproduce it on demand.