Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Non-English Discussions > Forum Français > Assistance

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Recommendations Needed for French Books

I'd like to practice my French on some easier books. Can someone recommend where to start on this?
In English I like to read biographies and bestsellers mostly (Grisham, Dragon Tattoos)
My level is very rusty beginner-intermediate. (Took several years of french in high school but never really used it)

So should I start with Youth books?
And what do they mean by Simplified Books, anyways?

My public library has a bunch I can borrow but where do I start?

Is there a list of popular French-language books anywhere sorted by difficulty level?

Merci
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Children's books are good to start with and work your way up from. Especially popular or older ones which are available in translation that you can compare against. You can also try finding French translations of English books you have read and enjoyed once you think your vocabulary is up to it.

You might want to give a try to this temporarily freebie offer (DRM-free ePub & Mobi): French Masters by Delphi Classics is a collection of public domain works which includes both the English and French versions so you can check your understanding of the story.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I will have to find it, it was an old and buried Android app that never went all the way to market. It showed both a Native language and a translated language together. One was in sub line of the other and smaller. After a certain period of time you switched the languages and your native language became the smaller one.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One thing I do is read books i've already read in French (or english).

What kind of books do you like ? Polar ? SF ? Fantasy ?

The first harry potter usually are an easy read.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Yack
Yack began at the beginning.

Device: KT/Kobo/iPad/iPhone
Sometimes youth books are not necessarily the easiest to read. My daughter could tell you...

Anyway, prefer general topics, to avoid too specific vocabulary (from this point of view, I do not think Harry Potter is a good idea). Although a little outdated, Jules Vernes is a good starting point. He has enchanted generations of french boys since decades.

You may also google for [please do not name pirate sites - moderator], but this is another story...

Last edited by dreams; 06-04-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: [please do not name pirate sites - moderator]
Yack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I think the best thing is to pick something that you find very interesting. I really started reading French books because there were some books I really wanted to read that were only available in French. Reading easier books that didn't quite grip me never really worked for me.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
OK, thanks everyone for your fast responses.
I think I'll start with the Jules Verne, which I can remember enjoying as a kid.
And I just dl'd it from Delphi, so I'm all ready to go!

Bon voyage!
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Yack
Yack began at the beginning.

Device: KT/Kobo/iPad/iPhone
Bonne lecture !
Yack is offline   Reply With Quote