Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #16
dirvish
dirvish began at the beginning.

Unhappy Suspended AventureMail Account

AventureMail allready suspended my account! Read the story here: http://3fingersalute.net/aventuremail/
dirvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:31 AM   #17
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow that's interesting. Perhaps they are desperately trying to find a reason to remove some users again, hoping to keep the server from boging down again
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2004, 03:51 AM   #18
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
WHY WHY WHY did I only check this forum now!
I just tried to get an account and got:
Aventure Mail Error
We are currently not accepting new registrations. Accounts can be purchased in our store (http://www.aventuremail.co.uk/store) in the mean time.

So only 'paid-for' accounts for the moment (3GB/4GB/5GB for $21.95/$41.95/$65.95 respectively)

Last edited by melvynadam; 06-10-2004 at 03:56 AM.
melvynadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #19
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This is what AventureMail says about the current shortage of free e-mail registrations:

Quote:
At current AventureMail.com will accept 10,000 new registrations per week until we are happy with the service standard, and to allow us time to receive feedback from the existing customers, to work out any problems they may be encountering, and to ensure that we can make the abuse levels which we will get from day to day by offering such a service.

We have no plans of stopping or limiting our free 2GB email service, a general question which we are asked in most emails! Get registering!!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #20
gyffes
Enthusiast
gyffes is on a distinguished road

Device: eMate!!! oh, and an NX-60
Well, I've got my Aventuremail account, but I think I'll stick with Yahoo! for primary -- esp now that I have -2040mb of space.
gyffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #21
UnknownZ
UnknownZ began at the beginning.

Yeah, I am late too..ahhh...It seems that now more and more companies offer more free email space. Just take as example, Yahoo also offer 100 MB of email space now.
UnknownZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #22
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Seems like AventureMail was pretty much a dud. Slow server. And now they have apparently cut me off unless I pay $2 for anti-abuse cost!

Not really that useful anymore, anyway, because my gmail account (thanks to MobileRead) and yahoo and even hotmail are plenty big for my personal email purposes.

Here's the text from the AventureMail login screen...
Quote:
Welcome to AventureMail.com, to login to your existing email account please enter your login details below. If you are a previous beta tester, you must signup for a fully enabled account by paying the anti-abuse activation fee.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:24 PM   #23
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
2GB of mail doesn't make a GMail killer. 10GB of mail doesn't make a GMail killer. I'd certainly trust Google with my data long before I'd trust some fly-by-night company I've never heard of. (But, that being said, I don't trust Google with my data at all, even though they have already admitted to tracking searches people do, per-IP, and storing it in their datastores).

I haven't yet seen a GMail killer, and I doubt we'll see one in the next 2-3 years, if even that short.

Why? Because GMail doesn't "store" email like these other providers. Your email is a pointer to an enormous datastore on their shard, which can contain messages that other users see also.

For example, lets say you have a mailing list with 10,000 subscribers. 5,000 of those subscribers are GMail users, and they all subscribe their GMail addresses to the list. The other 5,000 users are random email addresses across the globe.

When a message is sent to the list, and is sent to the GMail subscribers, one copy of the message is put into the GMail datastore, and 5,000 pointers all reference it. If you are one of the 5,000 people in GMail who "get" that message, you see it in your mailbox. If 1,000 of the GMail users delete it, there are now 4,000 pointers to the original message.

The same goes for spam on GMail. When you report a message as spam, a heuristic is applied to it that identifies it so that NO OTHER GMail USERS would receive that spam again, based on a weighting by other users who have also ranked that message as spam.

So, to store 2GB of mail, isn't really storing that much, you're probably storing 2GB of mail across 100 users who share some percentage of the same sort of messages.

Make sense? And the reasons why this won't be seen in other systems, are several:

1. Google owns the technology that drives it, incuding the algorithms
  2. Google has an enormous amount of brilliant people to develop and manage it
  3. Google also has an enormous amount of bandwidth and tens of thousands of machines powering their infrastructure
It would be interesting to see more ideas like this coming out, especially the distributed spam heuristic kind of ideas, but for now, it is most-likely locked up in some very tight patents and licensing.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:47 PM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
That's is interesting news, thank you for the information, David. I didn't know about the internal cross-referencing algorithm!

I agree, Aventuremail looks like big scam today. Bob you at least received a message that allows you to go on; look at what I got:

loginname: my (the email I signed up for was my@aventuremail.com)

Quote:
The account name you have entered (my@aventuremail) doesn't exist in our records. Please go back and try again.
So they simply deleted my account without notice. Unbelievable. Maybe someone should sue them...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #25
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
So they simply deleted my account without notice. Unbelievable. Maybe someone should sue them...
They probably sent you a notice at your AventureMail address just before they deleted the account!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Probably Don't know whom they wanted to impress with their pseudo-free-offer.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 AM   #27
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Hacker: I'm really interested in your description of the Google system. Where did you find the info? Do you have any recommended references on this where I could learn more?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #28
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Got this in my email today (emphasis added by me):

Quote:
You have received this email a user of AventureMail.com
This is a one time email, you will not receive further updates.
---

Dear User, AventureMail.com Version 2 is now live!
All previous accounts/email etc has been removed to make way to the final release of AventureMail. After several months of intense beta testing to resolve issues such as the massive influx of virus email and spam, we have been able to make a drastic amount of changes.

Over the last few weeks we have been modifying our spam/virus rules, and have managed to cut down 95% of virus email arriving into your mailbox.

Changes
+ $2 Anti-Abuse Activation Fee (Credit Card or PayPal)
+ Improved Virus Scanning
+ Improved Speed
+ Improved Reliability
+ Improved Features/Address books/Blocking/Spam Reports
+ Live Chat Support, Sales & Accounts
+ New Community Forums
+ Slightly changed website
All accounts have been removed?! What kind of customer service is that? Can't say that I care, since I really haven't used the site since I set up my account. I got my Gmail at around the same time and Aventuremail was so slow back then that I never got started with it. They made a big mistake by rushing this service into being. If they released a solid, fast server now with 2GB they would have done much better.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote