Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #166
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Oddly enough, that rule pretty much applies anywhere survival is involved. :P "If it ain't nailed down, grab it." lol.
Oddly enough, I have found by talking with real war vets that some of the tactics I have come up with and used in games matches what we do in real war. I wonder if post apoplectic earth will be best survived by gamers
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #167
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Oddly enough, I have found by talking with real war vets that some of the tactics I have come up with and used in games matches what we do in real war. I wonder if post apoplectic earth will be best survived by gamers
The ones who don't panic and collapse at the awareness of OMG REAL DANGER NOT JUST ALL IN MY HEAD will probably do well--they're used to assessing resources and options and re-evaluating a situation when the details change. They're also used to at least the idea of cooperating in groups of near-strangers for the common goal of survival, and know that it's not unlikely that someone will get greedy or stupid. And they know that "but he's greedy and stupid and will bring DOOOOM upon us all" is not always enough of a reason to kick someone out of the group.

However, the percentage that turn into basket cases at the first hint of *real* risk and problems is likely fairly high.

My real vote for survivors? The SCA. "World's largest standing private army," with a government (of sorts), at least enough to establish hierarchy and a reward system quickly, a lot of experience in turning high-tech resources into low-tech equipment, and a large collection of people who understand how governmental structures play out in large and small scale. They've got people who know how to make clothing starting from raw wool, how to make paper and ink from rags and candles, and how to wield pikes in formation.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #168
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The ones who don't panic and collapse at the awareness of OMG REAL DANGER NOT JUST ALL IN MY HEAD will probably do well--they're used to assessing resources and options and re-evaluating a situation when the details change. They're also used to at least the idea of cooperating in groups of near-strangers for the common goal of survival, and know that it's not unlikely that someone will get greedy or stupid. And they know that "but he's greedy and stupid and will bring DOOOOM upon us all" is not always enough of a reason to kick someone out of the group.

However, the percentage that turn into basket cases at the first hint of *real* risk and problems is likely fairly high.

My real vote for survivors? The SCA. "World's largest standing private army," with a government (of sorts), at least enough to establish hierarchy and a reward system quickly, a lot of experience in turning high-tech resources into low-tech equipment, and a large collection of people who understand how governmental structures play out in large and small scale. They've got people who know how to make clothing starting from raw wool, how to make paper and ink from rags and candles, and how to wield pikes in formation.
I can spin, weave, knit, sew, make paper, make felt, and a few other things that might help our MR group survive. Somebody else is gonna have to do the food stuff, though, or we'll starve.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #169
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Actually, I'm a certified (but not practicing) chef, so I think that area is covered. I even know how to hunt and trap, although it's been decades since I've done that.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #170
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, new little tidbit for you guys to chew on. During one of the scenes in the book I'm currently developing, one of the topics that came up was food preparation. Most people these days typically will just toss something in a pot on the stove, or even toss a frozen dinner into the microwave. What if they suddenly found themselves in a situation where they had a knife, the cloths on their backs, and *maybe* some string. That now presents some issues on how to make a variety of different foods out of the available local fauna, including bread.

The idea of "toss it in a dutch oven", or "pitch it into the hearth/brick oven/range" doesn't exactly work in those kind of situations. In my case the guys are being forced to build up from nothing and literally have to MacGyver everything they need, which at first limits what kinds of foods they can prepare. I mean, you're not going to just throw together a stone oven you can cook in right away, or create a cast iron cook stove within a day or two. Well, not at least until you can solve a number of problems, including making the concrete or plaster to hold the stones together, build the doors, figure out the heating logistics, etc.

You also have to acquire metals, materials, build the facilities needed to process them (forges, smelters, kilns for producing lime and mortar, etc) and go through each of the stages required to build them. This also includes steadily improving storage, processing (ie, mills, grinders, etc), and harvesting systems. That's assuming you are starting out with nothing but the cloths on your back, a pocket knife, and maybe a ball of string in your pocket.

Anyhow, just some food for thought....er, no pun intended. lol.
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #171
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where did the string come from?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #172
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
and how long is it?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #173
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
and how do I make bread out of fauna?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ... I know, I should have tried harder.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #174
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
If nowhere else, "the clothes on their backs". String seems a lot more likely than a knife ... or maybe it depends on where you live. When I was growing up on the farm I usually had a knife of some sort with me, but in the years I spent living in the city I never did.

Maybe it turns out not to be the meek that inherit the Earth, but the Boy Scouts (and Girl Guides).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #175
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If there is anything left to inherit.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #176
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
and how do I make bread out of fauna?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ... I know, I should have tried harder.)
That might be fowl.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #177
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If nowhere else, "the clothes on their backs". String seems a lot more likely than a knife ... or maybe it depends on where you live. When I was growing up on the farm I usually had a knife of some sort with me, but in the years I spent living in the city I never did.

Maybe it turns out not to be the meek that inherit the Earth, but the Boy Scouts (and Girl Guides).
Must be a southern thing, because I do not know a single man in my town that does not have at least one pocket knife on them.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #178
kennyc

I'd feel naked without my pocket knife.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #179
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'd feel naked without my pocket knife.
Same here. Having at least a basic pocket knife is important, because you'd be surprised how often you need it and don't even realize it. IE, situations where a good knife would have solved a lot, but had to be dealt with in other ways because you didn't have one. If you live on a farm and go outside without your knife, you may as well leave your pants behind as well, because you'll be no more useful around the farm without your knife than you would be without your pants. (although going knifeless won't scare the neighbors. lol.) Anyhow, any well prepared person is going to always have a knife on their person.

Quote:
The string comes from the fact that any well trained outdoorsman is going to always have at least a small spool of string in their pockets, or a paracord bracelet for those situations where string is needed in an emergency, or just as part of your normal day. Farmers always have at least a little string tucked in their pants pockets at all times because quite often they'll have need of it and no way to go get any. So having some in your pocket is important.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #180
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
This is why every child should have to visit a farm and a slaughterhouse as a part of their very basic education.

Carrying a knife is a basic part of the human toolset and I'm wouldn't live anywhere that that is restricted to a ridiculous degree.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote